sit up sweep when mounted

almann1979

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Last night while rolling I was getting smashed (again), and I ended up mounted.

After a minute or so of failed escapes I got desperate, and just sat up and performed a movement similar to the sit up/hip bump sweep from guard.

Anyway, it worked and he went over, with me in his guard.

I have put this down to a lack of concentration from my opponent, but before I dismiss this completely as a bit of luck, is there any validity to this type of mount escape? Is it something that can be made to work more regularly with the right set ups etc?

Surely you would be exposing yourself to the arm bar if your doing it how I imagine its done.

Regardless I dont think you would catch anyone good with it.

That's because your partner's Mount control sucks.

There is a legit sweep that is similar to what you described.

If you position your leg to block the outside of his, then control the same side arm from posting - THEN bump your hips to that side, you will sweep him over and land in his guard.

Granted, it's just a basic white belt sweep - it's effective if they're fighting for a collar grip then you lock their arm to your chest, block the leg and explode them over.

If you position your leg to block the outside of his, then control the same side arm from posting - THEN bump your hips to that side, you will sweep him over and land in his guard.

Granted, it's just a basic white belt sweep - it's effective if they're fighting for a collar grip then you lock their arm to your chest, block the leg and explode them over.

You're talking about the Upa escape? OP is just sitting up, haha - completely different thing.

You're talking about the Upa escape? OP is just sitting up, haha - completely different thing.

Upa, yeah! The name escaped me.

When I first read it, it sounded like he kind of did a really bad upa that somehow worked - but nevermind, haha.

Upa, yeah! The name escaped me.

When I first read it, it sounded like he kind of did a really bad upa that somehow worked - but nevermind, haha.

I think this is what happened tbh. Guess I really did just get lucky :)

Saulo Ribeiro did something similiar on his instructional

That's because your partner's Mount control sucks.

This. Also if you did the same motion for the sweep, you're wide open for a triangle. See Lauzon vs Varner in the UFC for a similar application. If you're reaching across the body to do it, then you're giving up your back.

I'm sorry to be 'that guy' but reversals from dominant positions are not called sweeps, just reversals or escapes

I wonder besides your partner's mount sucking, what the size differential between you is? Because there is no way I see this working on anybody that much bigger.

I wonder besides your partner's mount sucking, what the size differential between you is? Because there is no way I see this working on anybody that much bigger.

Thanks everybody for the replies.

I am a couple of inches taller, but he is much thicker set and stronger. I think he weighs a couple of Kg more

This. Also if you did the same motion for the sweep, you're wide open for a triangle. See Lauzon vs Varner in the UFC for a similar application. If you're reaching across the body to do it, then you're giving up your back.

I think in an MMA context, trying a last ditch escape that might or might not get you submitted is still better than getting gnp'd, or having your back taken.

Last night while rolling I was getting smashed (again), and I ended up mounted.

After a minute or so of failed escapes I got desperate, and just sat up and performed a movement similar to the sit up/hip bump sweep from guard.

Anyway, it worked and he went over, with me in his guard.

I have put this down to a lack of concentration from my opponent, but before I dismiss this completely as a bit of luck, is there any validity to this type of mount escape? Is it something that can be made to work more regularly with the right set ups etc?

legit escape. I think Hendo does it in mma.

I think in an MMA context, trying a last ditch escape that might or might not get you submitted is still better than getting gnp'd, or having your back taken.

Depends. In MMA I might rather give up my back, since the gloves make it harder to choke and you can't strike the back of the head.

Back