SISU 2.4 Max Review

TheMMAchef

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Greetings once again Sherdoggers. As I lie here in oxyland recovering from a succesful back surgery, I felt the urge to write a review. **JUST TO GET THIS OUT OF THE WAY- Terry and Rita are amazing people. I had an issue and they were more than helpful and went over the top to ensure I was happy. I endorse the fact that SISU has the best customer service I have dealt with. PROPS TO SISU.

I have been involved in sports requiring a mouthguard since I was 10. I have used everything Dicks Sporting goods has on the shelf, and the most popular MMA bnb guards. I came to my wits end when I picked up a mouthpeice for 15 bucks and it shaved the inside of my lip off in a sparring session. I wanted something different. Protective, but not inhibiting. Something that offers a good fit, good protection, and wont break the bank. Enter SISU.

Anything you need to know about the guard can be found here: http://www.sisuguard.com/SISU-2-4-Adult-Mouth-Guard-p/s24-1.htm

FIRST IMPRESSION

I ordered my SISU 2.4 in Electric Blue. I went with 2.4 because I saw a few people on here had the 1.6 when the company was under a different name. I figured I could use the extra protection since I train Muay Thai. The guard arrived on my door. The packaging looks cool, and much more low key than the bnbs at the sports store. What suprisred me most is that the mouthguard came in a flat U shape. Its a hefty piece of plastic. Which is one thing that people throw immediate flags at. This isnt the cushy brain dr mouthpiece with titanium alloy infused hyper gel. This is a blend of plastics that you custom mold to your teeth, that is meat to diffuse blows. I was skeptical, and proven wrong.

THE MOLDING PROCESS

The directions spell out how to fit this thing to a T. If you have trouble, they have a youtube video, and UFC LHW Chris Leben demos it as well. I placed the guard in very hot water, waited a bit, and followed the directions. It was an interesting experience. The guard turns into this rigid pliable rubber, that you can gently bite on the make bottom jaw impressions. The guard starts to harden shortly after you place it and OMG WHAT A FIT. I had to pry it out with my fingers! This is the best fit you can get from a mouthguard without going custom. Period. The holes make it easy to mold, and my bottom teeth locked into the guard. I was able to talk on the phone to order food, and could drink with no issues. My wife had to remind me to take the guard out before we ate it fit so well. But would it protect?

PERFORMANCE TEST

I didnt want to wait till I was back at the Gym to test so i did the next best thing. I gave my wife my gloves and had her punch me in the mouth. I didnt feel it on my teeth at all. I will say, the stereotype about the holes in the guard cutting your lips up is FALSE they provide a smooth contoured surface somehow and the guard was very comfortable. It protects the mouth and teeth amazingly for how thin it is. There is a school of people that think that a mouthguard protects you from being KOd. A mouthguard keeps teeth inside your head. End of story. This guard does that very well, while providing one of the best fits i have come across in a boil n bite. This is more of a boil and mold tho. In sparring this guard does extremely well. Allowing me to talk and communicate clear as day. A few people asked why I was sparring without a mouth guard, then I showed them my Electric Blue Smile!

One thing that I love about this guard over everything else, is that the guard is moldable an infinite number of times. Thats HUGE. Imagine having a guard, but maybe you dont use it for a while. Then you go to use it, and it doesnt fit as well as it used to. Well you just get HOT TAP WATER and remold. That is AMAZING for a parent. They buy one mouth guard and just remold it as kids teeth change. I am yet to have offspring byt the money saver there is huge. I even molded a problem area with hot tap,water at the gym!

FINAL ANALYSIS

All of the crumple zone, impact dispersement, and scientific jargin aside, this guard is the real deal. Althoug I have yet to use this in a fight, it offers amazing protection, with a fit that wont be matched by anything bnb on the shelf. The hardest part is getting past its rigidity. Theres no gel, no designs, no groundbreaking space plastic that is the latest in concussion protection. Its a rigid piece of blended plastic that you mold into a rigid piece of plastic that forms prrfectly to your mouth. It creates a solid wall that starts at the top of the gums, dispersing the impact of a blow across the guard and keeping your teeth in your head. If you can get past the rigidity hurdle, then you are going to be as sold as I am.

9.8/10- Amazing product, but it requres a mental hurdle in that it goes against everything we have taugh ourselves about mouthguards since we were kids.

Thanks for the read!

Excellent review my friend. Hope the back surgery went well and all heals perfectly!!!

Many thanks. Its been hell. I have to sit around doing nothing. Going to lightly shadowbox and go for a walk today. Its been demoralizing. Im out of work, and havent been to the gym in two months. My coaches are eager to see what i can do at 100%. I cant wait to hit it hard again.

Very interesting mouthpiece, I use one that my dentist made to me but this option looks really cool for the price and for the capacity to mold.

Hope you recover and heal your back man, back problems are a pain in the ass...

Thanks for the review. This guard seems to be a good middle ground between cheap boil and bite and the more expensive customs.

Much thanks Juan!

DC: Thats basically what this guard is marketed toward, those who are sick of the less than stellar bnb's on the market, and want something to protect their grill that doesnt cost a lot. They have a lot of scintific studies on the guard, but to be honest its all words unless you try it yourself. I am more than happy wth the result. A lot of peeps on here are very skeptical and I just wanted to give my honest opinion.

You say "the guard cutting your lips up is FALSE" but in my experience I had the guard cut my mouth multiple times from BJJ sparring this happened most of the time when someone was on my back and going for a rear naked choke and scrapping across my mouth. I am not sure if it was from the holes in the guard or more of just the hard edge on the top. I also have a friend at the gym who had his mouth really cut up during Muay Thai sparring so I think it is an issue with this mouth guard.

I really wanted to like this mouth guard as I was tired of the cheap boil and bites or the expensive shock doctors which I found too thick and uncomfortable after a full training session. It allowed me to breath more easily and talk without much restriction but the few times I would get cuts in my mouth made it not worth wearing.

I ended up going with a more expensive custom fit guard which I really like so far even though I spent a lot more than I would have liked too. The SISU kind of spoiled me into having a mouthguard and could breath and talk with. I think I would go back to the SISU if the could develop a softer outer covering to prevent cutting.

Other than the cutting issue I think your review is spot on.

You say "the guard cutting your lips up is FALSE" but in my experience I had the guard cut my mouth multiple times from BJJ sparring this happened most of the time when someone was on my back and going for a rear naked choke and scrapping across my mouth. I am not sure if it was from the holes in the guard or more of just the hard edge on the top. I also have a friend at the gym who had his mouth really cut up during Muay Thai sparring so I think it is an issue with this mouth guard.

I really wanted to like this mouth guard as I was tired of the cheap boil and bites or the expensive shock doctors which I found too thick and uncomfortable after a full training session. It allowed me to breath more easily and talk without much restriction but the few times I would get cuts in my mouth made it not worth wearing.

I ended up going with a more expensive custom fit guard which I really like so far even though I spent a lot more than I would have liked too. The SISU kind of spoiled me into having a mouthguard and could breath and talk with. I think I would go back to the SISU if the could develop a softer outer covering to prevent cutting.

Other than the cutting issue I think your review is spot on.

Great concept and it's very thin and stuff but it's so hard, it cuts up your gum. I threw mine away. It's expensive and it's a thin poorly stamped out piece of thin plastic.

FINAL ANALYSIS [B said:
All of the crumple zone, impact dispersement, and scientific jargin aside[/B], this guard is the real deal. Althoug I have yet to use this in a fight, it offers amazing protection, with a fit that wont be matched by anything bnb on the shelf. The hardest part is getting past its rigidity. Theres no gel, no designs, no groundbreaking space plastic that is the latest in concussion protection. Its a rigid piece of blended plastic that you mold into a rigid piece of plastic that forms prrfectly to your mouth. It creates a solid wall that starts at the top of the gums, dispersing the impact of a blow across the guard and keeping your teeth in your head. If you can get past the rigidity hurdle, then you are going to be as sold as I am.

9.8/10- Amazing product, but it requres a mental hurdle in that it goes against everything we have taugh ourselves about mouthguards since we were kids.

Thanks for the read!

Lets not put all of the science aside. lets look at what are facts not opinions. Lets start with a materials ability to disperse or reduce the force of an impact. You will notice that sisu makes no impact dispersion claims, know why?

In mechanics, an impact is a high force or shock applied over a short time period when two or more bodies collide. Impact resistance decreases with an increase in the modulus of elasticity, which means that stiffer materials will have less impact resistance. Resilient materials will have better impact resistance. This is physics 101. So be careful about jumping your mental hurdles!

The material sisu is made from will pass the majority of a high speed impact through directly to the wearer. Any area of intimate contact between the hard plastic and gums become vulnerable to cutting or bruising especially on the boarder of the guard.

Lets look at what they do claim.

"Using revolutionary Diffusix

Last edited:
Back