SIRI/Voice Command Etiquette

SevenSamurai

Silver Belt
Reaction score
I just concluded a 2 hr flight next to an old man who verbally dictated in every internet search, email and note to self via Siri/Speech to Text/Voice Command into his Iphone. Just about every thing he said had to be repeated at least twice (probably because of the background plane noise).

The guys entire personal and professional life was grandstanded for the cabin to deal with for the duration. I put on my headphones at some point but damn dictation and internet searches are way more annoying than having to hear someone engaged in an actual conversation. Most of his searches involved injury claim/health and safety procedures and some boat called the Oceania that sales to Peru apparently.

I feel like some common sense boundaries and etiquette should be in place for this before it goes to far.

Who wants their personal/work life shouted around strangers anyways?

Ok, Im done.:p

keep your voice commands to yourself.

how much would the roaming charges be to have internet during a plane ride?

Not sure if you are being funny,.......if not.....commercial jets have wifi now -that's how I am communicating with you now.

i think planes have free wifi now? i dont know i'm talking out of my ass. the last plane i went on had directtv live.

i think planes have free wifi now? i dont know i'm talking out of my ass. the last plane i went on had directtv live.

Some have it free -almost any plane with in-seat entertainment has satellite TV, internet, and on demand tv and films plus most planes have wifi throughout the cabin.

I have a Gogo Airplane Wifi subscription which is a bit expensive (39.95 a month)

All of the WIFI data gets relayed from the plane to either a KU band Satellite or the ATG cellular network back to the GOGO data center in San Diego Ca. -So my IP address always indicates San Diego Origin I believe

Some have it free -almost any plane with in-seat entertainment has satellite TV, internet, and on demand tv and films plus most planes have wifi throughout the cabin.

I have a Gogo Airplane Wifi subscription which is a bit expensive (39.95 a month)

on the topic, just get up and pee on his face. that'll teach him.

Not sure if you are being funny,.......if not.....commercial jets have wifi now -that's how I am communicating with you now.

wasn't trying to be funny, i flew a couple of times this year and this was not offered to me

is it available in coach? do they allow you to use it as you are about to take off? or only once you reach a certain altitude (one of my biggest pet peeves about flying is the fact that bitchy flight attendants telling me i have to shut off my phone)

I was riding on the city bus once. This lady came and sat next to me and started to talk very loudly on her cellphone.

I took out a notebook that I had in my backpack and started writing down things she was saying.... but I had it out in front of me so that she could see it.

At one point she said to the person, "Hold on a second".

Turns to me, "what do you think you're doing? You're writing down what I'm saying?!"

I quickly hid the notebook and innocently responded, "I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm making notes about my plans for this weekend."

She went back on the phone and said, "I'll call you back later."

The webs have destroyed all of our etiquettes and common courtesies. Social scientists predict we will enter a dark age that will take us about 500 years to recover.

I weep for us all.

I don't even use siri because I'm afraid of what she thinks of my internet searches for christ's sake. I would never do that shit in front of a plane full of actual people.

Typing is faster anyway, even on a phone. Dictation software basically sucks, it never gets you right the first time.

wasn't trying to be funny, i flew a couple of times this year and this was not offered to me

is it available in coach? do they allow you to use it as you are about to take off? or only once you reach a certain altitude (one of my biggest pet peeves about flying is the fact that bitchy flight attendants telling me i have to shut off my phone)

most domestic airlines have it available in jets MD88 and bigger (which is most of their planes) -a lot of the regional jets like CRJs, Embrairs, and Dash 800 don't have it yet.

only for use above 10,000 ft unfortunately.

it's slow wifi generally -and you can't stream Netflix or such.

The webs have destroyed all of our etiquettes and common courtesies. Social scientists predict we will enter a dark age that will take us about 500 years to recover.

I weep for us all.

haha - would love to see some data on this. -sounds almost reasonable.

I was riding on the city bus once. This lady came and sat next to me and started to talk very loudly on her cellphone.

I took out a notebook that I had in my backpack and started writing down things she was saying.... but I had it out in front of me so that she could see it.

At one point she said to the person, "Hold on a second".

Turns to me, "what do you think you're doing? You're writing down what I'm saying?!"

I quickly hid the notebook and innocently responded, "I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm making notes about my plans for this weekend."

She went back on the phone and said, "I'll call you back later."

This is actually a fantastic idea.

I weep for us all.

Whew...
Thank goodness sociology is basically a joke of a science anyway.

Should have conducted your own searches via voice command - such as "how do I get this person to shut up" or "How do you I teach this person how to type instead of ramble into their phone"

I'm sure they'd get the hint after enough 'searches'

Back