Opinion Sir Winston Churchill And The Greatest Britons Of All-Time

He's spoken out in favor of honor killings and said he would hang his sister for promiscuity. But yeah, that too. It's really difficult to roll with anybody that doesn't believe in freedom of expression, thinks I should be criminalized and directly conflates me with pedophiles.
Derp. Hasty Sherdoggin on my part.
Pretty sure he was completely off his rocker then. Now he's just half-way off.

Anyway, the gypsy communities are not necessarily known to be the most inclusive, even if they whine about prejudice from time to time.

The statistics regarding Irish travellers are just shocking. The majority don't make it to 50 I believe, and suicide/crime/alcoholism rates are just massive. These people make it seem like a black American's life is just a walk in the park by comparison.

It's the study of small, dysfunctional communities such as this which has allowed me to realize how huge a part culture plays into a community's success. All things being equal, if one group just doubles down on stupidity, the results will be nowhere near equal.

Oh, he can feel and say whatever the fuck the wants. I don't want him 'canceled' and he most definitely shouldn't "apologize" (pathetic). I'm just not going to roll with it. I can't, and they are legitimately radical views akin to a third world ideology and mentality.

I was waiting for the river of blood speech.

BBC To Broadcast Enoch Powell’s Rivers of Blood Speech In Full For The First Time

GettyImages-2661390-640x360.jpg

BBC Radio 4 will broadcast the entirety of Enoch Powell‘s 1968 Rivers of Blood speech for the first time this weekend. The speech, described as “one of the most incendiary in modern British politics”, will be read by actor Ian McDiarmid, who is known for portraying Emperor Palpatine in the Star Wars films.

It has become known as the Rivers of Blood speech because of a reference to the Aeneid in which civil war is predicted in Rome, with “the River Tiber foaming with much blood”. Powell warned that Britain was building its own “funeral pyre” by allowing non-white immigration. He said: “In this country in 15 or 20 years’ time the black man will have the whip hand over the white man.”

McDiarmid, the actor who will read the text, portrayed Powell in the play “What Shadows” last year. In a Daily Telegraph interview, McDiarmid said playing the role had changed his mind about Powell, who he had originally thought was a horrible racist. “I no longer think so,” he said.

Ireland, with its lack of support for England during WW2 and its overt support for Hitler is the real hero we need. Save for the Irish being white. Bet you forgot about this part.

Pure bullshit. Ireland would never support a bunch of ethnic cleansing, religious persecuting, concentration camp running invaders, intent on ruling the world or the Nazis.

Pure bullshit. Ireland would never support a bunch of ethnic cleansing, religious persecuting, concentration camp running invaders, intent on ruling the world or the Nazis.
Except it's a historical fact. Ireland supported Germany in WW2 and opposed England. You may not like it but it's a fact.

@Bald1 Speaking of Locke...

Newton (1805) [William Blake]

624px-Newton-WilliamBlake.jpg

Isaac Newton is shown sitting naked and crouched on a rocky outcropping covered with algae, apparently at the bottom of the sea. His attention is focused upon diagrams he draws with a compass upon a scroll. Blake's opposition to the Enlightenment was deeply rooted. In his annotation to his own engraving of the classical character Laocoön, Blake wrote "Art is the Tree of Life. Science is the Tree of Death."

The deistic view of God as a distant creator who played no role in daily affairs was anathema to Blake, who claimed to regularly experience visions of a spiritual nature. He contrasts his "four-fold vision" to the "single vision" of Newton, whose "natural religion" of scientific materialism he characterized as sterile. Newton was incorporated into Blake's infernal trinity along with the philosophers Francis Bacon and John Locke.

Ironic, Aye?

51uQozdQQaL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Did you even read the article ?

However, in the final analysis, de Valera drew the line in 1939. The Irish Government did not recognise the German annexation of the rump Czechoslovakia in March 1939. Hitler’s employment of force, coupled with the absence of a German national claim on these regions, crossed the Rubicon. Until late 1938, the retention of Bewley may have served de Valera’s purposes, but the baring of Hitler’s true intent and Bewley’s unabashed apologia for the Hitlerite excesses transformed him into a liability. Worse, in an irrevocable bout of insubordination, Bewley criticised de Valera’s foreign policy as pro-British, anti-Irish and anti-German. He had to go. De Valera hastily prepared the ground for neutrality as the war clouds gathered over Europe.

don't you have a monument to a Nazi collaborator ?.

Where ?

Are you a subject to this ?

OIP.Rg05csnr4TgODdXJ50PIfgHaEK

Why are people acting like this is the first time Chruchill shit has been vandalized or that this isn't a fair way to protest. It's a statue. It's not a museum. They're there to commemorate but are often vandalized or pulled down depending on the protest (and sometimes just cuz).

I'm not going to argue here nor there about Churchhill the man. He was in no way perfect. The Bengal Famine for one.... and a HUGE one. Minimum f 2 Mil dead.

@Bald1 Speaking of Locke...

Newton (1805) [William Blake]

624px-Newton-WilliamBlake.jpg

Isaac Newton is shown sitting naked and crouched on a rocky outcropping covered with algae, apparently at the bottom of the sea. His attention is focused upon diagrams he draws with a compass upon a scroll. Blake's opposition to the Enlightenment was deeply rooted. In his annotation to his own engraving of the classical character Laocoön, Blake wrote "Art is the Tree of Life. Science is the Tree of Death."

The deistic view of God as a distant creator who played no role in daily affairs was anathema to Blake, who claimed to regularly experience visions of a spiritual nature. He contrasts his "four-fold vision" to the "single vision" of Newton, whose "natural religion" of scientific materialism he characterized as sterile. Newton was incorporated into Blake's infernal trinity along with the philosophers Francis Bacon and John Locke.

Ironic, Aye?

51uQozdQQaL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
I'm pretty rusty at this so anyone better versed please correct my mistakes. I am just a dumb plumber after all.

For a guy who was against government and religion intermingling I find his stance on atheism odd. He argued for tolerance in politics and said only tolerant religions should be tolerated, which is my view as well. He seemed to be vague on Catholicism too. Then there's this gem:

"Locke argued that atheists should not be tolerated because "Promises, covenants, and oaths, which are the bonds of human society, can have no hold upon or sanctity for an atheist".[29] There is, however, a passage added in a later edition of the Essay concerning Human Understanding, where Locke perhaps questioned "whether 'atheism' was necessarily inimical to political obedience."

I wonder if some of his ideas on religion were cloaked in vagueness in an effort to lessen blowback from the orthodoxy. I imagine if he lived in less religious times he would have been more pointed in his statements.

Regardless, as one of the founders of Liberalism, empiricism and a prominent enlightenment figure the dude is a rock star. I know your focus is on the sciences but social sciences and philosophies are what fascinate me the most.

Excellent thread by the way. I'm looking forward to more contributions by some of our better educated members. As @The ScorpioN said the world owes much to the Anglos.

Back