(Sinister) Classic Stance Defense, and taller opponents?

austin_b

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have really enjoyed your posts Sinister and have listened to your episodes on Heavy hands several times, and I really appreciate what I have learned.I have been practicing the tile exercise and find the stance very comfortable, however I have some confusion on certain aspects.

With the rear hand held near the chest rather than glued to the cheek, I feel more susceptible to left hooks, as if I misread or attempt to parry a jab I would be caught by the hook. How does one go about protecting yourself from the hook ? I have heard that it is common to pronate the rear arm such that it rotates the arm slightly up and away from the body blocking the arc of the hook? Is the hook defense purely reaction or is there some component of built in defense as with the lead shoulder against right hands?

I have one additional question as to approaching taller opponents in this stance. with the more side on stance how do you close the distance properly since it does not lend itself as much much to the deep slips left seen in a peek a boo or more upright squared stance? I feel comfortable coming forward with a bit of a slip to my rear side coming forward but not so much slipping to the left coming forward, and I do not quite understand the mechanics of properly coming out of this deep slip to the right once in range to throw the right as I am farther away and lower, it feels as though I punch across myself. When throwing the hard right from this stance it also feels as though I cannot sufficiently duck/slip to my left beneath counter right hands

A lot of questions here, and I really do appreciate any and all advice from everyone. Thank you so much. I am really hoping to develop my skill in this stance but have been a bit stuck on these facets

Thank you very much

Sorry it took me a bit to respond, it's difficult for me to do so over the weekend. But here ya go:

1) It is not a requisite of the classic stance for the rear hand to be chest level. I generally teach to keep it thumb-distance from the cheek. However, the head being over the rear foot makes any punch the opponent throws have to reach, unless they're smart enough to step in, in which case they still have to make it past your left hand. If they are wary of it, you have plenty of time to catch a hook.

2) There's is nothing stopping a person from slipping left in the classic stance. Look up the "tile exercise" thread here. But to generally answer the question of functionality with taller opponents, I'd rather just show you:

Bleu slips and rolls right hands fairly well there, when he can time them. His opponent has a lot of experience, so it isn't easy.

Nice sparing session,sorry to change the subject a bit but I noticed that the shorter guy didnt turn his fists sometimes on jabs and the right against the taller fighter,he mixed that in and it was very effective,that was exactly what I was thinking in the Turning fist topic.

If the fist is already turned, there's no need to turn it. If you're referring to when his palms were out. If you're referring to when his fists were vertical, those were hooks.

austin_b, that was probably the most eloquent post asking how to properly punch somebody in the face I have ever read ;)

If the fist is already turned, there's no need to turn it. If you're referring to when his palms were out. If you're referring to when his fists were vertical, those were hooks.
I mean at 0:40 and a 8:16 are what I was thinking about mostly,he does some other times but those are the best examples that land,but I am not sure I would say a right hand,looks like a right/uppercut hybrid looks like he doesnt turn his fists.

:40 is an uppercut, his hand was upside down. 8:16 is a short hook aimed between the gloves.

:40 is an uppercut, his hand was upside down. 8:16 is a short hook aimed between the gloves.
Now that you said it,you are right I can see it,I am not used to see thrown like that.

Sorry it took me a bit to respond, it's difficult for me to do so over the weekend. But here ya go:

1) It is not a requisite of the classic stance for the rear hand to be chest level. I generally teach to keep it thumb-distance from the cheek. However, the head being over the rear foot makes any punch the opponent throws have to reach, unless they're smart enough to step in, in which case they still have to make it past your left hand. If they are wary of it, you have plenty of time to catch a hook.

2) There's is nothing stopping a person from slipping left in the classic stance. Look up the "tile exercise" thread here. But to generally answer the question of functionality with taller opponents, I'd rather just show you:

Bleu slips and rolls right hands fairly well there, when he can time them. His opponent has a lot of experience, so it isn't easy.

Thank you for your reply, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions. the boxing you teach is very comprehensive and I really enjoy your posts.
The rear hand thumb distance from the cheek feels very natural, I had been keeping my hand right on the cheek I think causing me to have to flex my bicep in order to keep it there. That tweak makes it much more comfortable.
I am re-watching the tile exercise as well to work on the left slip

Also when keep the rear hand thumb distance from the cheek do you generally teach palm facing opponent or palm facing the cheek? I am still finding it tricky to read the jab or hook to switch from catching the jab or blocking the hook

Palm facing the opponent generally. And yes, the reading is tricky but once you get it, defense is a mere flick of the wrist.

If Bleu is having to work to make the right hand slips, he sure isn't showing it. Always a pleasure watching your boys work.

Back