Single leg from your knees

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Gidselgrisen, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Gidselgrisen

Gidselgrisen Green Belt

Hi guys, I hope you can help with a very basic problem.

Very often I end up on my knees under my opponent, e.g. if he has sprawled or if I escape a bad position by getting up to my knees and grab one of his legs.
    I see fighters getting the TD all the time from this position, both in MMA and BJJ.
    I never get it myself, however. It feels like I need superhuman strength to lift him, or pull the leg into me or to the side, which to me indicates that I am doing something wrong. :icon_sad:

Can anyone tell me what the right strategy is? Or do I just need to lift some weights? I have found dozens of instructionals on the single leg, but all from the standing position...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  2. AwesomeSquad

AwesomeSquad Orange Belt

Sit out hard to the side your head is on. Think of it as a second shot. You should end up taking his back.

3. xMikeyX

xMikeyX Purple Belt

You can also use your head and gable grip to cage his knee in place and pull it not towards you but to the side (your head posts on the ground to do this)- then with your head on the ground turn into him and get on top. THink about making one of his legs do the splits.

4. thegreenblender

thegreenblender Brown Belt

if I'm taking the single on his right leg, does my head rest outside of his calf, or am I trying to put my head over his calf and on the ground as I turn?

5. DaRuckus337

DaRuckus337 Black Belt

The problem is that you're trying to use superhuman strength instead of angles. Get a good gable grip, elevate your outside elbow to the sky, and circle your body around your opponent's leg while holding the leg in place (or even dragging it past you). Don't try to lift or posture up from underneath a sprawled opponent when working a single - it won't happen and it's going to strain your back and shoulders. Work that angle and think of the technique as bringing yourself to (and around) a leg instead of bringing a leg to you.

6. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

If he has successfully sprawled, I would either 1) run around to get parallel with him, 2) post a leg and peek out, 3) post a leg and sit through to half guard or 4) bury my head between his legs to lift and dump him.

7. Tony Manifold

Tony Manifold Brown Belt

This. He has cover just about ever thing. Lots of videos online for all of these.

8. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

You do not need "super human strength" to get out of this position. Now I do not know about BJJ but from a wrestling standpoint try this out next time. When you are under your opponent, slightly rotate to the outside, and then post up that outside leg. Make sure your foot is planted firmly on the ground. Now this next part needs to happen quickly and very fluid, hip under on your inside leg and plant that knee under you. That will lift him off of you slightly, and from there you can turn the corner and use that outside leg to drive that double. Or you can reach up and lock the opposite arm of your opponent with your inside hand and scoop their oustide leg with your outside leg. This finish has gotten me the takedown about 80% of the time I attempted it.

9. Gidselgrisen

Gidselgrisen Green Belt

Great responses so far! Thanks a lot!

10. thegreenblender

thegreenblender Brown Belt

is this the finish Jake Shields does all the time, or the one Joe daddy did to Nate Diaz 43 times?

11. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

...If this is what I'm imagining, then wow. I just gotta try it.

12. Neuro

Neuro Purple Belt

One of the most effective techniques I've developed for this position (that I, too, frequently find myself in) is to first, get the angle, like everyone else here as described, and then while lifiting your shoulders, put your near-side leg over his leg (as if you're about to dump into half-guard) and then drive forward for the double leg.

Marcelo has an instructional for it on MGInAction, and I think it's what Eddie Bravo refers to as "the old school." It's really, really effective. You just slide them down and then pop over to side control, or half-guard, if you really can't get it.

Most annoying thing about a single leg from sitting, however, is that (and I'd love to hear if this is incorrect, really) you don't get points for a TD, or for passing the guard (since they never technically get you in guard) and it counts for essentially nothing, even thoguh it's a reversal, or a sweep, in my opinion (or at least 2 points for a TD).

13. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

I can't find the fight so I can't tell.

An end for, there are some more intricate details to each of them, especially the latter. If you hit it without a hitch, you pull yourself out underneath their arm and can easily get their back. Most of the time however they fight and start to move away, so what I do is when you grab their arm get it just above the elbow and grab their knee with that outside hand. Drive into them and throw that knee over the top and immediately reach down and grab the other ankle. You do this because if they are really good they will throw back their hips and that leg that was thrown will hit the mat and they will try to lay their hips back down to sprawl again. Now pull that elbow and lift the ankle, and you have two choices. If wrestling, then hold for back points. If mma or bjj you can stay there to be in side control, or slide your leg over immediately for full mount.

14. Tha_MMAn**

Tha_MMAn** Banned Banned

Go for a double leg instead.

15. justkidin

justkidin White Belt

Awesome input. You can quit posting guys, this is the one and only correct answer.... Seriuosly, did you even read the thread?

16. phillys-finest

phillys-finest Red Belt

Explaining stuff is alot harder than showing it, atleast on the web. Keep the one leg and straighten it, suck it up to your body. You need to do this at an angle however. You shouldn't be directly under the guy's full weight trying to work.

17. Tony Manifold

Tony Manifold Brown Belt

18. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs Orange Belt

I hate that!!!

IMO if you reverse an opponent from a nuetral position points should be awarded (for takedown or sweep but definitely not neither) but the ibjjf apparently disagrees.

19. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

I personally sit into the guy at this point, placing a butterfly hook and working sweeps.

20. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

I think the problem is that your head is probably on the mat, you're not going anywhere if your head is stuffed; drive your leg through and pull half guard. If he doesn't have your head stuffed, post it right into his chest, and either finish by running the pipe or switching to a double/ taking his back. From there, don't settle for guard; keep working to pass