single and double leg stance

sgu00dir

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi

Im wanting to learn single and double leg takedown and have only covered basics once or twice in bjj class.
Im a bit unsure of how they both work with regards to opponents stance, ie orthodox vs southpaw. Does anyone know of any videos or tutorials that covers how to shoot both takedowns against both stances.

Eg both takedowns seem easier when both players have lead leg on same side, ie vs a southpaw but how does it work vs normal stance? Are concepts always the same? Should i swurch stance before shooting?

Thanks!!

You could find plenty on youtube mate.

Hi

Im wanting to learn single and double leg takedown and have only covered basics once or twice in bjj class.
Im a bit unsure of how they both work with regards to opponents stance, ie orthodox vs southpaw. Does anyone know of any videos or tutorials that covers how to shoot both takedowns against both stances.

Eg both takedowns seem easier when both players have lead leg on same side, ie vs a southpaw but how does it work vs normal stance? Are concepts always the same? Should i swurch stance before shooting?
No, that's a massive giveaway of what you're about to do. Generally guys will keep the same stance and shoot a high-crotch/double leg (head outside take-downs) when they have the same stance as their opponent (i.e. both left-leg forward) and a single (head inside) when they have opposite stances (i.e. lefty vs. righty). Also, you can push and pull your opponent around to momentarily open up the leg you want if they don't have it forward by choice. Make sense?

Above guy covered a bunch. Keep your dominant shooting foot forward. Practice that one side, don't worry about shooting the same shot to both sides, that's unrealistic for the level you are at. High crotch and doubles are done best when your opponent has the same foot forward (both right leg leads), singles are good when your opponent is mirrored (your right leg forward, his left leg). Drill it, look on YouTube for basic proper technique.

Hello, wanna-be wrestler checking in- I always get confused in terms of head placement in singles in doubles- on the rib, on the armpit, on the shoulder of the opponent. It is confusing to me. Can anyone refer me to a proper video showing the ins and outs of guilotinne-proof single leg?

Also which foot do I lead with? I am a right handed person, in judo I go for osoto to my left, with the right leg reapig. Should I lead with my left foot? Is it the same for kouchi, singles, doubles etc?

Uchi Mata, please help :)

Last edited:
Practice singles and doubles both sides practicing standing both ways if possible. It will give you an advantage over most guys.

Then you can take whatever whoever gives you without having to throw them around to bring the foot you want forward. Just take what they give you.

Whatever foot they give, step your outside /same side foot to the outside for a standard mid or low single, or step your opposite foot inside for a high crotch or double.

Simple concept but you gotta be ambidextrous and you probably already practice most moves both ways anyway

Back