Since no one at LHW will beat Jones....how do you think HW's would do against him?

TrollHunter

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I am a huge Jones fan. Obviously.

I have been a fan of his since he first broke into the scene.

He is the greatest Light Heavyweight of all time and COULD go on to become the overall Greatest Of All Time.

Considering that the ocean of Jones haters are determined for him to move up (an idea I have always been against.) I would like to try and gauge some constructive opinions from Sherdog on how they think the current HW roster would fair against Jones.

In another thread, someone made a very good series of points about WHY Jones should head up (Legacy, no challenge in LHW etc) to heavyweight.

As much as it pains me to type what I am about to type....here is how I think Jones would fare in Heavyweight -

I think his skills and abilities are still, simply, too good for most of the heavyweight division to deal with. Big knockout punches and increased knockout power are pretty much the only thing he would have to worry about from most of the roster. I think it will save me time if I simply list who I think could beat him in the HW division and how I think they would do it -

Could potentially beat JBJ & the probably method -

Cain Velasquez - Decision.
Junior Dos Santos - Knockout.
Fabricio Werdum - Submission.

Wildcards

Mark Hunt - Lucky Punch Knockout
Roy Nelson - Lucky Punch Knockout

These are the only people who spring to mind for me.

I think Jones would simply be too good and STILL has too much reach and length coupled with unbelievable skill, for the rest of the HW to hang with.

I think the three I listed at the top are the only fighters, as a Jones fan, I would be really worried about. I dont really fear anyone else at HW. Mark Hunt and Nelson are just in there as wildcards because they always have that one punch chance.....I still think both would struggle to lay a clean shot on Jones.

Just my BIASED opinion.

Let me know how you would think Jones would do at HW. Do you agree or disagree with my choices, why and how do you think Bones would do against other HW fighters?

Werdum would get killed on the feet.

Hunt and Nelson on the ground.

Only Cain and JDS could beat him... 50/50

werdum would not get killed on the feet. Guy is sneakier than a pack of jackals with predator cloak technology

Jones overall skillset and timing will present problems for virtually 99.99% of any fighter he faces, at any weight class. It will take a special fighter to beat him, or someone with enough murderous power to KO him. Dude has a solid chin.

If Jones can keep his distance and pick them apart, he should have a great chance at beating them. He has great stamina anyways and it will play a big part if he moves to HW. I would love to see him fight browne or the reem just because I think it would be an interesting fight if he decides to move to HW for his first fight there. Wouldn't be surprise if they did a super fight first with champion vs champion if jones continue to win in his future fights.

I can't stand JBJ but he is clearly the UFC GOAT in my opinion. Beating DC confirmed that for me. I don't think he beats any of the HW top 5 purely because he doesn't have the power to hurt them or any discernable physical advantages that he enjoys at LHW. He could beat some of the rest possibly.

Last edited:
werdum would not get killed on the feet. Guy is sneakier than a pack of jackals with predator cloak technology

That's going into the memory bank for future use

for sure i see him beating one dimensional strikers like nelson and gonzaga and so on,but i think the upper echelon top 5 all have a chance of beating jones

I'd favor Cain and that's about it. Just my opinion.

Jones said himself that he would have more trouble with the bigger, less skilled heavyweights, than he would the smaller more skilled heavyweights. I think this has a lot to do with his lack of big time knockout power more than anything else. DC said that the punches that would seriously hurt the guys at LHW were basically shrugged off by the likes of Roy Nelson, Mir, Barnett etc.

for sure i see him beating one dimensional strikers like nelson and gonzaga and so on,but i think the upper echelon top 5 all have a chance of beating jones

Lol @ "upper echelon top 5"

Why not say top 3?

I think he could beat most heavyweights. DC is the best guy he's fought by far and it was no contest. I really thought DC was gonna be the guy who could beat him. After that fight I don't think he wins 1 out of 10. I dont know. Jon Jones probably beats everyone but cain, and even then has a decent chance at him. Im a jon jones hater but how can you deny this guy is the fucking GOAT. His competition during his title run is better than gsp and anderson combined. He's just so douchey and unlikable, ugh.

^Your signature fits your post^

I would like to see him go the Anderson Silva route. Go up and fight Meathead or someone ranked worse than him, then fight JDS. I don't see that going like Silva vs Forrest but I want to see it.

^Your signature fits your post^

I would like to see him go the Anderson Silva route. Go up and fight Meathead or someone ranked worse than him, then fight JDS. I don't see that going like Silva vs Forrest but I want to see it.

I am a Silva fan too and I remember when he beat Bonnar and Griffin and some of my fellow Spider fans were like "thats it! undisputed GOAT!" - AS IF HE HAD ACTUALLY GONE UP AND WON THE LHW TITLE!??

I have always been dead against Jones going up, my attitude was "why should he? He makes weight, this is his division....why would he." - But I think, despite beating what was a top heavyweight in DC, albeit it at LHW.... I am starting to think he will never get the credit he deserves unless he beats a heavyweight or two.

Anything short of destroying Cain wont satisfy his haters though.......hell.....even that probably wouldnt be enough, lol.

I think JJ will beat at HW JDS for sure, because JDS is not enough active, he show it in last fight.
Against Werdum i can't see what exactly will happen, but think jones will win.
The only man who i think have a chance is Cain, but I am worried that Jone will make the same fight like with DC and make more points in the fight.
At the and I want to say that Cain gets old and he become to past his physical prime, actually it was 2010-2014 so the clock is timing. Dana White must make this fight, because when there was Fedor vs Lesnar he talk how he wants what fans wants, now he didnt make anything this fight happened.

Back