simplicity is best

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Spoken, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Spoken

Spoken Gold Belt

I've learning something very important to Jiu Jitsu and martial arts in general... simplicity is best.

Bruce Lee once said that "simplicity is the key to brilliance." Thats something I'm starting to see a lot in my jiu jitsu game (though I've been out sick for a week). I notice if my basic sweep are quality that I'll get them. If my basic triangles are quality, I'll get them. If my basic chokes are quality, I'll get them.
    I understand that some people are into some of this crazy shit and maybe when you're skill is higher, you can do that. But I realize my place as a blue belt... I'm low in the hierarchy of things and thus, maybe its better if I work the simple stuff to the point that its more than natural but its perfect.

This might be my own personal thing, I don't know. What have been your experiences? Is simple best? What have other BJJ greats said about it?

2. nefti

nefti Red Belt

Bruce also said something like use what works for you, it all depends on the person

3. 206warrior

206warrior Purple Belt

Bruce was also from Seattle, which makes him that much cooler, and wiser.

4. DevinTheDewd

DevinTheDewd Orange Belt

Style is best.

5. aldenton

aldenton Blue Belt

Technique > all. I agree with you .. it's kind of like the old saying... "jack of everything, master of nothing" I usually ride a technique out until I feel I can rely on it. Normally this takes attempting the technique hundreds of times. (for me at least) before I feel like I don't really have to think about it, I just react when the opportunity arises.

6. MaiLeeGoodFck**

MaiLeeGoodFck** White Belt

better to be flashy than simple

7. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

I fear the guy who practises 1 kick a 1000 times more then the guy who practises 1000 kicks 1 time

8. YeahBee

YeahBee Samdog Original Nine

wonder how the guys Roger beat felt afterwards

9. dazed863

dazed863 Blue Belt

i agree and everyone is mystified by rickson's two step arm bar...

10. brandon0627

brandon0627 White Belt

Ditto. I'm the same way and I'm a lowly blue also. But.... all the BB that I train under don't really use a lot "flashy" technique. They are just really good at their setups/traps, timing, and variations of the "basics". They don't use a lot of "flashy" stuff, high percentage is best.:D

11. Murmillo

Murmillo White Belt

Jack of all trades, master of none.

12. virtuoso

virtuoso Blue Belt

Just remember the acronym KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid.

I was told by a friend about a karate point fighting tournament where the guy that won only ever practiced a punch off the back hand. Everyone knew what he had, but his technique was so sharp and quick that no one could stop him. My friend fought him and my friend was a blackbelt. He was extremely quick and had won many championships. Well, my friend threw a bunch of kicks, etc., and the guy with the punch just waited for an opening. He saw it and punched my friend right in the ribs. He broke a couple of my friends ribs with that one punch.

So, keep it simple stupid.

13. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Two of them went onto win their division at Mundials in 2010 (Roger beat Tarsis and Cavaca in the Absolute division).

Even more significant is, he submitted every finalist Middle weight and up at some point in his career (except maybe Cyborg).

Complicating something that can be accomplished in a much simpler manner does not make sense.

Having said that, it can be fun to work with complicated and flashy techniques. It's about finding the blend of, the techniques that work best for you, and the techniques that you like doing the most.

14. lethalazn

lethalazn Purple Belt

preferably behind you, with both hooks sunk in
    well my game went from throwing up armbars, triangles, omoplatas, gogoplatas or anything i could learn from a BJJ book to just grabbing a neck with my arms and squeezing (guillotine, RNC) so I guess simpler is better :)

15. thegreenblender

thegreenblender Brown Belt

No doubt. One thing that has kind of struck me as a big part of those grappler's games who have unstoppable basics is great economy of motion and constant strong posture. Throughout every motion they stay strong and balanced: symmetrical, which also means they appear to be "simple", because the flashier motions tend to be more asymmetrical and erratic, but they are inherently weaker. That probably only makes sense to me.

16. Carrera26

Carrera26 Orange Belt

(Judo) When I was in the lower belts I wanted to try a couple new throws every week and ended up with a huge library of techniques.... that didn't work on anybody. Since hitting brown belt 6 months ago I have learned 1 new throw and have just been drilling the crap out of the basics and am far, far more successful for it.

17. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

Makes total sense. but you have to have been around martial arts for a while, before it starts to make a lot of sense.

"Very advanced Kung-Fu is only very simple kung-fu done very fast"

18. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

I'm a big fan of simplicity, I think sometimes to keep things simple you have to find unorthodox or creative ways to do the simple things that you like to do. Sometimes it's small things, like laying your weight a different way or in a different place, telegraphing less with a grip or using a different combination of moves than the one you usually use. Sometimes it's using a crazy set up to get to a simple position.

I think all the stars have to line up properly to make basics work regularly against good guys. The timing, accuracy, pressure, sensitivity all have to be there I think.