Simple & Sinister v One arm C & J for daily use

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by PaCole, Jul 25, 2016.

1. PaCole

PaCole White Belt

I am back in training and looking to maybe 'compete' - nothing major, very low-class local fights, interclubs, etc.

My time in the week is limited and I am, I admit, also after physique goals. Dense, defined muscle, like a lighter boxer. A fighter's physque, if you will. Athletic, not pumped, but some size.

I am wondering whether to do one arm clean and jerks with bell I can do 10 reps each each side, for 15-30 minutes, as many reps as I can whist taking it relatively easy. The other option is S & S.

If you were me, with only access to KBs in the week (various sizes - 16s, 24s and a 32) what would you do?

2. PaCole

PaCole White Belt

By the way, I ask this here rather than the SF forum because, although the people there are very helpful, they can adopt a 'You're asking the wrong question' approach and just lecture you as to why you are wrong for even asking.

3. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

OALC would be what I would chose. More joint movement, easier to control pace, hits a shit load of different muscles. I wouldn't use the jerk form that SF teaches though.

4. Genghiz

Genghiz Blue Belt

I'd go with S&S but use push press or OHP instead of TGUs.

My pressing strength dropped big time doing it as written.

5. PaCole

PaCole White Belt

Thanks, guys. I think there's a discussion on SF's forum at the moment about that very problem of pressing. When I followed S & S for a good 9 months or so, I found the same. A 24 that I was able to press for many sets of 5 easily I couldn't press for a single rep, despite doing TGUs easily with it.

Selfcritical - how come? You opting more for a GS style?

Oh, I should have added - I prefer one arm to double jerk because I have to drop to the 16s I have to do doubles and I lose arm strength/power as a result.

6. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

I figured one arm. Two arm has a way bigger recovery cost. Unless you're Djonni Bendize you aren't doing it every day.

Yeah, more GS style, because a jerk without triple extension is silly (and recruits less muscle mass)

7. PaCole

PaCole White Belt

Thanks again, selfcritical. What I might do is alternnate daily between double 16s and a 24 (and, later, double 24s and a 32, etc) so I am working the legs harder on doubles day. I think that will be okay as long as I don't go mad.

I'll move up to alternating double 24s and a 32 when I can do 10 good, solid reps both sides with the 24s.

Then up to alternating double 32s and a 40 when I can do 10 good reps each side with the 32s. And so on.

Mind, be a long time before I am at that stage!