Simple question about sparring glove use

Ninjelaphant

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
im looking to buy some Fairtex Super Sparring gloves. Ive spent the last 2 hours coming to that decision by searching through the forum. But one thing Im still worried about is if I need separate gloves for pad work. Or if the Fairtex gloves will be good to use for sparring AND pad work.

No heavy bag work. Just pads. I plan on getting other gloves for heavy bag work.

Any input would be appreciated.

They should be alright for padwork, but if they're gonna be your main sparring glove, don't overuse them on the pads/mitts.

It's still best to use your dedicated bag gloves for the pads as well, but in a pinch you could use your sparring gloves on the pads if you have nothing else on hand. (but not on the heavy bag)

I should have been more specific earlier. These gloves are for my Muay Thai class. In that class we usually do some pad work and then some light sparring.

i don't really know if there is a difference between boxing gloves and MT gloves but I went with Fairtex because I know Fairtex makes good gloves, period. And they are a MT company so I couldnt go wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion 888shogun888. But again, Im looking for MT gloves for sparring and pad work.

I've got a pair of 16oz Windys that I use for sparring, pad work, and bag work. Sure, having separate gloves for each is ideal and doing all three diminishes the life of your gloves, but don't really want to spend extra cash, right now, to have an extra pair of gloves.

Your gloves will wear out faster, but they should be fine for a good, little while.

I've got a pair of 16oz Windys that I use for sparring, pad work, and bag work. Sure, having separate gloves for each is ideal and doing all three diminishes the life of your gloves, but don't really want to spend extra cash, right now, to have an extra pair of gloves.

Your gloves will wear out faster, but they should be fine for a good, little while.

and that while will be what? like a year?

I should have been more specific earlier. These gloves are for my Muay Thai class. In that class we usually do some pad work and then some light sparring.

i don't really know if there is a difference between boxing gloves and MT gloves but I went with Fairtex because I know Fairtex makes good gloves, period. And they are a MT company so I couldnt go wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion 888shogun888. But again, Im looking for MT gloves for sparring and pad work.

Sounds like ideally the BGV1 Training gloves would suit you more, based on what you just posted. You should be able to use a pair of 16oz for padwork and light sparring without any issues.

and that while will be what? like a year?

My previous pair of Windy's were still in great shape after almost two years of combined pad work, bag work, and sparring. I ordered new ones because the previous pair were 14oz. My 16oz' are almost a year old and are almost like brand new.

i usually mix it up, my sparring gloves are heavier than my bag gloves so sometimes ill opt to use the sparring gloves with the pads just to get a little more burn out of the workout... but for the most part i use my bag gloves with the pads.

Back