Simple Idea to Completely Change the Concept of Schooling in the US

Well you live in Brazil, so its no wonder you feel that way.

Spoiler, it actually is.

I don't like to train. It sounds too formal and all full of rules and shit.

They should just mandate that students who can't complete high school will get sent to work camps in Vietnam making clothes and shoes for the rest of us.

i'm thirty-four, dude. i'm not that young, anymore. with what you said, are you implying that i think money is the only important aspect in life? if that's how it sounded, then my apologies. money is ONE important aspect in life.

i hope that cleared things up.

Very clear. And HA! I am 34 as well. I am at the point where I assume everyone on the interwebs is a kid!

Don't mess with me, brah, I trane teh differential equations, son!

Heh. Every time I got to training I get schooled. There's something in this.

I don't like the fact that the system is so tight up until post secondary where all of a sudden you have to chose your life. It would be nice if going into highschool there were more options that got you ready for what you think you want to do. I had to take three science credits, useless in my current job. Had to take some art credits again useless for me.

They should just mandate that students who can't complete high school will get sent to work camps in Vietnam making clothes and shoes for the rest of us.

You should be able to opt out of highscool if you wish and enter the work force. You obviously could only do a certain amount of jobs but if someone wants to push carts for the rest of their lives that's there choice.

Here's another wacky and zany idea. Public lashings for students who don't stay in line. Inflict pain and humiliate them? Learning will get done. Believe that, homie.

Update. After informing my students they were training they looked back at me with blank Asian faces.

However these are all pharmacy students who don't need any other external motivation besides the lifetime of pressure from their tiger moms

The problem with this is that it ignores that the problem isn't the terminology, it's the content.

You start calling it training and pretty soon kids will hate training.

No I'm saying that to change the system, first you have to change the public's perception of it. And this would change perception of it imo.

Then, after that first step, you begin to look at what needs to be retooled. Teachers and principles, after looking at school as "training kids for everybody life" can then change their curriculums accordingly.

It's no secret that the educational system in the US is pretty poor, with a high rate of high school dropouts. Our teaching methods and concepts are outdated and boring. How can this be improved upon in the 21st century?

If you simply changed the words "learning" or "going to school" into "TRAINING" I believe this would completely change how students and teachers looked at school. Imagine the ninja training in Batman Begins. "your parents death was your father's fault." "the man had a gun!" "Would that stop you?" "I've had TRAINING."

Training as a term, indicates learning something of use, something invaluable, and the word implies discipline. What is school for, realistically? It's for LIFE TRAINING. It's teaching you how to navigate through life. It IS life training, and but it's not really viewed that way at the moment. It's viewed as a boring chore that many aspects of are useless in real life.

If you called it "training," that simple word change would change the entire concept of what it means to go to school. Kids might even get excited about the idea of going to training all day long. Then once you get that concept change down, you can then begin to change the curriculum from it's outdated format, into life skills that will be invaluable in 21st century life.

Just a thought.

When the format was even more outdated the way I understand it science and math scored were higher. It maybe the ways back then needed to be updated but it looks like somewhere along the line a bad update took place.

Here's another wacky and zany idea. Public lashings for students who don't stay in line. Inflict pain and humiliate them? Learning will get done. Believe that, homie.

Well, they did paddle us with a big wooden paddle when we misbehaved or didn't turn in homework a few times when I was in school.

37-intredasting.jpg

I'd also advise that the word "work" is changed to "sex" to reduce the unemployment rates.

lots of countries have successful schools while using the language of "learning" and "education" and "studying."

Back