simco thread should be unlocked

hoosier

White Belt
Reaction score
the simco thread that was locked should be reopened in light of new information that he has bought himself a black belt in BJJ.people should be aware of the shadiness and unscrupulous business practices of this person as he misrepresents one of the most respected martial arts in history. nhbgear.com has info on its forum about the bought belt but every site should make this info available. reopen the discussion thread and keep it to the top so new students dont get taken by this scam artist!!!!!!

I used to train in the hudson valley, and have heard some eh...lets say not so good things about him... I heard from a student of his that he got his BB on the up and up from a guy from brazil...though I have been told many times he basically bought all of his other belts from Jenn...

I am not a huge shit talker, so If you have any details, please pm me, as I know so people who still train there.

there is a huge thread on jiujitsugear forums about it. Its titled "simco Black Belt" or something like that. Good read.

watered down bjj will begin with bought belts.
it will end when the well runs dry. the well ,i guess, is a sewing machine that sews black belts.

ttt
mattyd the thread that elusas posted has all the info on this guy

simco has some type of influence with certain sites. there was a thread here a while bach which discussed his belt shopping and his claims to being a florida state champion and a 200 -0 nhb record and some how simco contactedthe site and had them lock the thread. i agreed at the time that the thread had gone past its useful stage but now he has gone way beyond even his own deceitfulness by buying a black belt. should be discussed.

i might buy one if it matches my suit.
hehehehe

how much will be the stripes on it, i will sell him his first stripe for 10,000 dollars

Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique > Gene Simco DVDs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

04-02-2004, 12:32 AM #1
hamfists

White Belt

Gene Simco DVDs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gene Simco has a set of DVDS just out, anyone have a idea what there like???

Jay
school of hard knocks and still learning."It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."
THEODORE ROOSEVELT

View Public Profile
Send a private message to hamfists
Find More Posts by hamfists
Add hamfists to Your Buddy List

04-02-2004, 08:16 AM #2
HolisticWarrior

Orange Belt

I would believe the most logical place to ask this would be: http://www.jiu-jitsu.net/board/ultimatebb.cgi

View Public Profile
Send a private message to HolisticWarrior
Find More Posts by HolisticWarrior
Add HolisticWarrior to Your Buddy List

04-02-2004, 11:23 PM #3
hamfists

White Belt

Quote:
Originally posted by HolisticWarrior
I would believe the most logical place to ask this would be: http://www.jiu-jitsu.net/board/ultimatebb.cgi

I think the answer might be a little biast, would like the buyers ideas not the sellers.

thanks wolf.
school of hard knocks and still learning."It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat."
THEODORE ROOSEVELT

View Public Profile
Send a private message to hamfists
Find More Posts by hamfists
Add hamfists to Your Buddy List

04-02-2004, 11:31 PM #4
Smorra

Blue Belt

These DVDs just came out, so noone on here may have them yet. I expect they will be very good. His Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, The Master Text is great, and I just got the second edition of it which is much bigger and looks to be be even better. He shows a lot of moves and for pretty much every one he shows, he also shows a preventative defense move, and a counter or escape. I suspect his DVDs would follow the same format, and if they do, they should be excellent.

View Public Profile
Send a private message to Smorra
Visit Smorra's homepage!
Find More Posts by Smorra
Add Smorra to Your Buddy List

04-03-2004, 01:25 AM #5
retrostyle

Blue Belt

i have the master text as well. I purchased it before Renzo, Royler and Royce came out with books. Granted it has some interesting technuqies, it is far from any groundbreaking moves. I stand by my distrust of simco and would encourage you to purrchase mark lamon's DVD's, Renzo's set with Kulkuk or something along those lines depending on what your looking to improve.

View Public Profile
Send a private message to retrostyle
Find More Posts by retrostyle
Add retrostyle to Your Buddy List

04-03-2004, 03:13 AM #6
pakawot

White Belt

retro, why do you feel badly about Simco? explain.

View Public Profile
Send a private message to pakawot
Visit pakawot's homepage!
Find More Posts by pakawot
Add pakawot to Your Buddy List

04-03-2004, 02:35 PM #7
retrostyle

Blue Belt

simco lied about his belt ranking (said he was black no one could find out who promoted him past purple)

lied about competition results saying he is a "world champion" when there is no record of him winning one.

and got his ass handed to him by royce after he ran his mouth on the internet.( I wasnt there for this, but a good friend of mine saw it at a seminar at NYMAG)

View Public Profile
Send a private message to retrostyle
Find More Posts by retrostyle
Add retrostyle to Your Buddy List

04-03-2004, 04:05 PM #8
ClubberLange

Green Belt

got any more details on him and Royce rolling? I thought he was a brown, not a black.

View Public Profile
Send a private message to ClubberLange
Find More Posts by ClubberLange
Add ClubberLange to Your Buddy List

04-03-2004, 06:35 PM #9
Bladecrasher
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

yeah he is brown belt under Michael Jen.
never heard bout him lying bout being black belt in BJJ.
i think he is black belt in japenese JJ or some shit.

brown belt nuthin to shit on. you can get good instruction from brown belt. it is true Simco aint a big competitor. But his students are winning competitors fo sho.

i got that master text too. it is a solid book, good reference for fundementals, no flashy stuff.

BUT it is also true Simco is shameless self promoter and narcessust. check his website www.GeneSimco.com, it is funny. motherfucker enjoy bigging hisself up.

also he is really into making money. or at least braggin bout makin money.

View Public Profile
Send a private message to Bladecrasher
Find More Posts by Bladecrasher
Add Bladecrasher to Your Buddy List

04-03-2004, 07:49 PM #10
Smorra

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladecrasher
BUT it is also true Simco is shameless self promoter and narcessust. check his website www.GeneSimco.com, it is funny. motherfucker enjoy bigging hisself up.

That does not seem to be an existing website- at least, it doesn't come up on my computer. I've only seen his website at www.jiu-jitsu.net which has some techniques and interviews and a message board with more techniques and q & a about them, but you have to register [free] to view all of it. There doesn't seem to be any self agrandizing statements on his site except maybe that his new book is the largest BJJ book, which it probably is, at 800+ pages. The interviews he conducted are with many well known BJJ people including two (old and new) with Romero "Jacare" Cavalcanti, 7th degree BB under Rolls Gracie, who seems to hold Simco in good regard and even separately gives a blurb recommending his Master Text. He also interviewed Rorion Gracie, who (at least, as quoted) didn't mention anything about the alleged Royce incident retrostyle wrote about.
I know there are some people on here that train under Royce, could one of you who do please ask him about that aleged incident with Simco? Even if that's true, I wonder if it occured back when he was sparring under judo rules while still a purely japanese jiu jitsu practicioner with relatively limited groundfighting experience? Either way, he's a BJJ brown belt now, and his books are good, so it seems his DVD's would be likely to be too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Smorra : 04-04-2004 at 11:54 AM.

View Public Profile
Visit Smorra's homepage!

04-04-2004, 11:24 AM #11
Bladecrasher

my bad www.GeneSimco.com

the comma got in there cuz of my excellent grammar skillz
ha ha you made tha same mistake in tha link in yo post

View Public Profile

04-04-2004, 12:52 PM #12
Smorra

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally posted by Bladecrasher
my bad www.GeneSimco.com

the comma got in there cuz of my excellent grammar skillz
ha ha you made tha same mistake in tha link in yo post

Thanks. I took out the comma from my link above. As far as his personal site, it does seem a little narcisistic, but so does any personal website. Personal websites all seem a little crackbabyesque, but I'm going to email him and suggest one thing he could do that might lesson this impression- change the wording of his links from:
Author
Artist
Athlete
Autobiography
to:
Books and Writing
Music
Jiu Jitsu and Fitness
Personal History
These links are more cumbersome, but they may be seen as less obnoxious. Anyway, there's no reason for anyone to go to that site instead of jiu-jitsu.net, unless they are interested in Simco personally.

View Public Profile
Visit Smorra's homepage!

04-04-2004, 01:18 PM #13
Brian McLaughlin

Orange Belt

Listen, I trained under Gene for over four years before being told to leave. I will try to clear the air about some of the issues being raised here.

View Public Profile
Send a private message to Brian McLaughlin
Visit Brian McLaughlin's homepage!
Find More Posts by Brian McLaughlin
Add Brian McLaughlin to Your Buddy List

04-04-2004, 01:36 PM #14
Brian McLaughlin

Orange Belt

First and Foremost

Gene Simco knows a great deal about BJJ. In my time training under him I learned a lot. I've done fairly well in competitions and attribute much of my success to his teaching ability.

Secondly

Gene's products are quality. I worked with him on the production of all his books (my name is in the front cover of Master Text 2) and can tell you that they do show good high percentage moves with clear descriptions. Gene has an excellent understanding of how to teach Jiu-Jitsu and this comes through in his products.

Lies and Exagerations

Here is where Gene gets himself into serious trouble. Gene is an insecure person and he feels people will only take him seriously if he can back his products (and himself) up with rediculous claims. Its unfortunate that he has decided to do this because it takes away from any real legitimacy he actauly has.

Gene lied about being a Florida State Champion. He claimed it in his books and on his website, listing himself as a "state champion". The truth is he went to Florida State and lost two matches, but by default he got a third place medal (only three people in the division). This lie went on for years before the truth came out and Gene was forced to admit he lied.

Gene claimed to have fought "hundreds of opponents" in no holds barred challenge matches. This Rickson-esque claim could not be substantiated by anyone. In fact in the four years I was his student I witnesses only three challenge matches, and I was the one that fought in all of them, not Gene. In reality Gene did beat a handfull of traditional martial arts guys and he would tap people with no grappling experience at seminars, but the claim of 200-0 was complete Bull shit.

Justin Garcia called Gene on the challenge match lie. He said that he would like to face Gene in a sport Jiu-Jitsu match to submission. He said he would show up at NYMAG to challenge Gene (and he would have). Gene ran scared, he threatened to call the police if Justin stepped foot in NYMAG. Not exactly the actions of a 200-0 NHB fighter.

There is a great deal of shadyness regarding Gene's promotion to brown belt. Gene at first claimed that Reylson Gracie gave him his brown. Then he claimed it was Fernando Sarmento, but that Fernando "took it back" after he and Gene had a falling out (not true, Fernando promoted Gene to 4-stripe purple but never gave the brown). Finally, he now claims to be a brown under Michael Jen, however the fact remains that he was wearing the brown belt before he met Jen.

View Public Profile

04-04-2004, 01:57 PM #15
Brian McLaughlin

Orange Belt

Now Gene is selling his DVDs and he is back to his old tricks of grandiose marketing. In his sales pitch on his website he claims the following:

"Using the techniques detailed in this series, I have trained students with less than two years experience to beat black belts in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu"

This is not at all true. He claims this based on the performance of a single person, Glover Texeira. Glover is a phenom plain and simple. Before meeting Gene, he trained with Marco DeLima for a little over a year and earned his blue belt. He won some competitions and even fought professionally in WEC, he lost the fight but was dominating until he got caught with a suprise knee.

Glover began training at NYMAG. Glover quickly was rolling through everyone, the only people who could really give him a good roll were these two big guys Greg and John and myself. Glover could not get challenged by our guys so he continued to train at other places. He kept training with Marco DeLima and a small group of black belts in Danbury CT (I'm not sure of their names so I won't post them). The bottom line is Glover was never a full time Gene Simco student.

Glover began competing in NAGA and GQ advanced divisions and killing everyone. After only two years of trianing he had already beaten two BJJ Black Belts and many Brown belts.

Gene now claims that he was responsible for all Glover's success, and he uses his accolades to sell his products. Gene does this because he has no titles of his own. The last time he competed was about two years ago when he was a purple belt....he lost in the first round to a BLUE belt.

Gene has many students training under him with over 3 years experience and I can tell you that NONE of them are beating black belts. I had four years of training with Gene and I never came close to beating a black belt. In fact I just had my first competition match against a black belt in the NAGA purple and up gi finals.....I got tapped. I guess I couldn't remember all those special "catch a black belt" techniques I supposedly learned in my first two years.

Gene would be lying even if his advertisement claimed he had students beating PURPLE BELTS with less than two years experience.

His DVDs probably do have some good techniques in them, but the marketing for them is rediculous.

View Public Profile

04-04-2004, 03:04 PM #16
Smorra

Blue Belt

Thanks for the heads up. If he just didn't claim anything it would be better. Steve Iverson, the author of book Submission Fighting Techniques, openly claims not to be any kind of expert, yet his book is still good and seems to be selling pretty well on amazon. He does have some subs from within the guard that would only work on a newbie, but the vast majority of the moves in his book seem good.
Why were you forced to leave NYMAG? Did you and Simco get into a disagreement about his exagerated marketing?

View Public Profile
Visit Smorra's homepage!

04-04-2004, 03:30 PM #17
Brian McLaughlin

Orange Belt

When Gene told me not to come back to NYMAG there were several issues.

Firstly, he found out that I was going to go to an Eddie Bravo seminar the day Michael Jen was coming to our school. I had already attended two Jen seminars in the past, but had never had the opportunity to meet Bravo (and I'm a big fan) and also the Bravo seminar was only $10 while the Jen seminar was $50. He got upset and I decided not to go because I didn't want to ruffle any feathers. However, just the fact that I wanted to go was enough to piss him off.

The major issue in my opinion had to do with my reaction to him being challenged. First Rob Kahn wanted to do a match with him at my friend's martial arts event. Instead of listing excuses for Gene not to compete (which he would have liked me to do and which I had done in the past) I encouraged him to step up and criticized him for avoiding the match.

Right before Justin Garcia challenged Gene I had gone down to train at the Thornwood Jiu-Jitsu center (Team Groundhog w/Kahn & Kardian). In response to the challenge, Gene stated that no one from Thornwood was welcome at NYMAG. He wanted me to then immediately stop training at Thornwood. I liked the atmosphere at Thornwood, and I was only training there about once or twice a month anyway, so I saw no reason to stop going. I saw the issue as isolated between Justin and Gene, not NYMAG vs Groundhog.

Finally, I was becoming upset with Gene as an instructor. When I began at NYMAG Gene was teaching 7 classes a week, rolled with everyone, always made it to tournaments, and was more concerned with a student's progress than making money.

Once Gene started selling books and making a significant amount of money everything changed. He only taught class 3 times a week, he doubled the monthly dues for training, refused to roll with anyone in class, would never show up to competitions, and would not give any individual attention to students. By the time I left I felt he had no passion for Jiu-Jitsu and was only concerned about increasing his bank account.

View Public Profile

04-04-2004, 03:45 PM #18
Bladecrasher

whao it all comin out now.

thanx for comin straight Brian Mclaughlin.
that is some honest lowdown right ther

i dont think i buy Simco products no more.
the master text is quality, but every time i check it i gonna be reminded of this.

it sho sound like Simco have seerious character issues. sometimes the money fucks you up huh. messes wit your values.

View Public Profile

04-04-2004, 03:50 PM #19
Bladecrasher

incidentelly, is you the dude who do www.bjjfighter.com

if so props to you it is a excellent resource

View Public Profile

04-04-2004, 04:55 PM #20
Brian McLaughlin

Orange Belt

I think I should address the Royce issue before that gets out of hand.

Gene went to a Royce seminar in Albany with a bunch of guys from NYMAG. Everyone was friendly and there was no confrontation, Royce jokingly said to Gene, "Simco, why don't you like my book?" and Gene replied that he thought Royce's book was good but could have been better.

When they rolled Royce completely dominated Gene. My friend recorded it and I watched the match, Royce took Gene down, mounted him and armbarred him all in roughly 30 seconds or so.

That isn't such a big deal though, considering Royce is a legend and tools most everyone. That day Royce actually gave my teamate Dan his blue belt, so I don't think Royce has any anomosity towards Gene. In fact when I went to a Royce seminar a few months later (while me and Gene were still tight) Royce said, "Tell Gene I said Hello".

And yes www.BJJFighter.com is my site. It hasn't been updated in forever, in fact its pretty funny because if you go there now I have a kiss-ass interview with Gene which makes him look like a saint, it was obviously done before we parted ways.

View Public Profile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

It's long, but informative...Thank You

What a Wankster

Back