Silva's triangle was telegraphed for 4 rounds!

We've seen Anderson use the body triangle from bottom before. He uses it to secure his opponent and fire off some elbows in a 3-9 o'clock direction. His legs are long, so he only needs to hip out a little to release it.

I noted early that Sonnen's only triangle defense seemed to be throwing the legs over in an attempt to pass. It wasn't going to work forever. Same as Fedor.

Unlike Fedor at least he tried a last second defense that can break a tight triangle. If he'd protected the trapped arm he would have had it.

I like how it's a convenient excuse that any non-black belt cannot question a black belt's decisions due to some insane notion of "respect".

Did or did not Anderson get hammered from a good position for 20 minutes despite getting presented numerous opportunities to reverse/submit/better his position? Yes.

Is that the attributes one would tend to associate with a BJJ black belt? No.

All Anderson showed last night was that he needed 20 minutes of brutalization before remembering the existence of the triangle choke.

Last edited:
Unlike Fedor at least he tried a last second defense that can break a tight triangle. If he'd protected the trapped arm he would have had it.

Fair point/good observation. But an oz of prevention is worth a lb of cure.

I like how it's a convenient excuse that any non-black belt cannot question a black belt's decisions due to some insane notion of "respect".

Did or did not Anderson get hammered from a good position for 20 minutes despite getting presented numerous opportunities to reverse/submit/better his position? Yes.

Is that the attributes one would tend to associate with a BJJ black belt? No.

All Anderson showed last night was that he needed 20 minutes of brutalization before remembering the existence of the triangle choke.

1st off, you do not know what the attributes of a black belt are. It is not a notion of "respect", it is the "insane notion" of knowing what you are talking about instead of just talking out of your ass.

2nd MMA is totally different than bjj.

3rd, anderson submitted chael and lutter (who is a good bjj BB in mma) with triangles.

4th, you were sitting on your couch watching the fight while anderson was under an olympic alternate wrestler.

1st off, you do not know what the attributes of a black belt are. It is not a notion of "respect", it is the "insane notion" of knowing what you are talking about instead of just talking out of your ass.

2nd MMA is totally different than bjj.

3rd, anderson submitted chael and lutter (who is a good bjj BB in mma) with triangles.

4th, you were sitting on your couch watching the fight while anderson was under an olympic alternate wrestler.

I know enough to know that he isn't supposed to get beaten up from his guard for 80% of a fight without attempting a submission with a remote chance of success....

Good for BJJ? Seriously?

I was questioning Anderson's black belt for the majority of the fight considering lots of the considerably rookie decisions he was making such as, but not limited to:

- triangling his legs from the bottom position when a wrestler with an obviously good base is punching him in the head

- letting Sonnen get a high posture and yet not attempt any sweep or submission

- letting Sonnen get a very low posture and not attempting the afore-mentioned

- thinking it was a good idea to keep the strong-based Chael in BUTTERFLY GUARD

- telegraphing a triangle throughout the duration of the fight yet failing to capitalize despite numerous opportunities

Let's face it. If you've got a black belt from Antonio Nogueira, Mr Armbar/Triangle from the guard himself, you've GOT to have some better answer to the problems posed by Chael Sonnen. Getting splattered in the guard for 20 mins does not demonstrate good jiu jitsu. At least Cigano had a sweet takedown on Nelson...

Well seeing as you know more than a man who is widely considered one of the best
P4P fighters in the world, I would love to see you in the Octagon with him and see just how many rookie mistakes you make. Plus, he still retained with the injured ribs. I don't like Silva, but mad props to him

I know enough to know that he isn't supposed to get beaten up from his guard for 80% of a fight without attempting a submission with a remote chance of success....

Oh, man! That's half of jiujitsu! In the olden days, they used to go for three hours like that!

Good for BJJ? Seriously?

I was questioning Anderson's black belt for the majority of the fight considering lots of the considerably rookie decisions he was making such as, but not limited to:

- triangling his legs from the bottom position when a wrestler with an obviously good base is punching him in the head

- letting Sonnen get a high posture and yet not attempt any sweep or submission

- letting Sonnen get a very low posture and not attempting the afore-mentioned

- thinking it was a good idea to keep the strong-based Chael in BUTTERFLY GUARD

- telegraphing a triangle throughout the duration of the fight yet failing to capitalize despite numerous opportunities

Let's face it. If you've got a black belt from Antonio Nogueira, Mr Armbar/Triangle from the guard himself, you've GOT to have some better answer to the problems posed by Chael Sonnen. Getting splattered in the guard for 20 mins does not demonstrate good jiu jitsu. At least Cigano had a sweet takedown on Nelson...

It's sooo easy being a keyboard warrior and a couch potato watching the fight and point out all the mistakes when your ass is not being kicked to oblivion, im sure all of us here can point out your mistakes in a street fight when you're getting pounded to the ground too...:rolleyes:

Could it be that sonnen is just better than we give him credit for

There were so many submission openings for Silva that I saw. And he's much better than me, so I'm sure he saw them too. I buy the rib injury thing. I've had a rib injury and it kills anything you do from your back. But kudos for Anderson for pulling out the sub.

I buy the rib injury to. Anderson is usually much more active then that off his back.

My question is, why do people think that Sonnen deserves an immediate rematch?

People were also talking about giving Fedor an immediate rematch with Werdum after he got submitted the same way.

Is there something about the triangle from guard that makes people think of it as a "lucky" submission? Do people actually think that Sonnen getting triangled for a fourth time was somehow a "fluke?"

Ever since Fedor got submitted I've noticed it's been ok to call submissions flukes.

My question is, why do people think that Sonnen deserves an immediate rematch?

People were also talking about giving Fedor an immediate rematch with Werdum after he got submitted the same way.

Is there something about the triangle from guard that makes people think of it as a "lucky" submission? Do people actually think that Sonnen getting triangled for a fourth time was somehow a "fluke?"

I don't consider either a fluke

Werdum throw a chain of submissions, you don't do THAT by accident....

I think the reason why some people think the triangle is a fluke is because it generally happens RIGHT during/after the guy on the bottom is getting the crap punched out of them so it's like "O....he WAS winning until that triangle popped out of nowhere."

Kind of like if it was a striking match and fighter B was being beat up on his feet and then lands a punch on fighter A out of nowhere and gets him KTFO, was there skill involved? Sure, but people are going to call it a "lucky" punch.

I don't get the rematch talk either. Shogun/Machida, I understood. Penn/Edgar, I understood. But this fight was a finish.

I really hope the UFC steps away from all these rematches. Especially when people (vitor) are waiting for their shot.

Back