Silva's triangle was telegraphed for 4 rounds!

ZuZitsu**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was yelling at the TV the entire fight worried that Chael was going to get triangled (as Im sure many of you were....especially those who use the triangle a lot)

He was controlled his wrist (pushing it inward towards his opposite leg) and trying to control his head/posture at the same time....and with legs as long as Silva's it was just a matter of time. Silva IMO was smart to not attempt arm bars bc Chael is too strong and they were too sweaty....so he waited for an opputunity to lock up the triangle. Nice work by Silva!

Chael talks down about BJJ but he has only ever lost by submission....he would be wearing a UFC belt today if he had a lil more respect for BJJ! I think Chael would lose to Maia 9 times out of 10....he makes FAR too many mistakes when on top!

Im so f*cking mad Silva landed that triangle...but it was good for BJJ.

I was yelling at the TV the entire fight worried that Chael was going to get triangled (as Im sure many of you were....especially those who use the triangle a lot)

He was controlled his wrist (pushing it inward towards his opposite leg) and trying to control his head/posture at the same time....and with legs as long as Silva's it was just a matter of time. Silva IMO was smart to not attempt arm bars bc Chael is too strong and they were too sweaty....so he waited for an opputunity to lock up the triangle. Nice work by Silva!

Chael talks down about BJJ but he has only ever lost by submission....he would be wearing a UFC belt today if he had a lil more respect for BJJ! I think Chael would lose to Maia 9 times out of 10....he makes FAR too many mistakes when on top!

how can it be telegraphed for 4 rounds? at that point you are so used to him doing it I don't see how Sonnen can be expected to expect it if he's telegraphing the triangle the whole fight. I know that wasn't the perfect way to word it but I hope you guys understand what I mean, I'm sitting here trying to word it right and I can't. Silva showed he is a true warrior. I want to hear more about how bad his ribs are.

WAR SILVA

I don't know about that.

For SURE in the 5th round Chael was letting him hold his wrist at his waist though.

I distinctly remember saying in my head "don't get akiyama'd" only at the beginning of the 5th because his hand was so damn vunerable.

Good for BJJ? Seriously?

I was questioning Anderson's black belt for the majority of the fight considering lots of the considerably rookie decisions he was making such as, but not limited to:

- triangling his legs from the bottom position when a wrestler with an obviously good base is punching him in the head

- letting Sonnen get a high posture and yet not attempt any sweep or submission

- letting Sonnen get a very low posture and not attempting the afore-mentioned

- thinking it was a good idea to keep the strong-based Chael in BUTTERFLY GUARD

- telegraphing a triangle throughout the duration of the fight yet failing to capitalize despite numerous opportunities

Let's face it. If you've got a black belt from Antonio Nogueira, Mr Armbar/Triangle from the guard himself, you've GOT to have some better answer to the problems posed by Chael Sonnen. Getting splattered in the guard for 20 mins does not demonstrate good jiu jitsu. At least Cigano had a sweet takedown on Nelson...

- triangling his legs from the bottom position when a wrestler with an obviously good base is punching him in the head

Theres loads of reasons why Silva could have been doing this and he does it all the time from guard. I think he wanted a standup but Chael was too active for that to happen, but if theres no stand up it atleast helps tire Sonnen out by squeezing his body. He seemed to try a sweep from it at one point too, watch Silvas fight with Roan Carneiro for example.

He was attempting plenty of sweeps and submissions, mostly scissor sweeps and looked like he was setting up a flower sweep at some points. Sonnens base is just too good.

- telegraphing a triangle throughout the duration of the fight yet failing to capitalize despite numerous opportunities

He did capitalise and pulled it off in the end, wtf.

Let's face it. If you've got a black belt from Antonio Nogueira, Mr Armbar/Triangle from the guard himself, you've GOT to have some better answer to the problems posed by Chael Sonnen. Getting splattered in the guard for 20 mins does not demonstrate good jiu jitsu. At least Cigano had a sweet takedown on Nelson...

Tell that to all the other black belts Sonnen beat. Even Paulo Filho had problems subbing him.

Here is a post I made in another thread and I think these fights really mean too much to too many people...Below are my thoughts on the matter.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well isten, that is the problem with being too in love with a style.

We look at fights and think bad performances reflect on us and we look at good performances and think they reflect on us.

Tell me every BJJ white belt on this board weren't looking for some random russian to fight after the Werdum/Fedor fight? If you say no you are lying..lol...

The thing is what these fighters do in the ring mean NOTHING in terms of what we can do, it is just that simple. So disregard bad fights for BJJ guys and disregard good fights for BJJ guys it means zilch when it comes to you.

Last night the wrestlers did very very well...Fitch, Guida, Hughes and even Sonnen for 23 minutes but on nights when these guys dont do as well I am not down on wrestling nor question it's effectivenss. These are fights with fighters and I am not silly enough to think that the results of these guys mean anything to me as if everyone will now fear me becasue some random wrestler won an MMA fight.

The reverse is also true, them all losing wouldnt make me a puss.

There were so many submission openings for Silva that I saw. And he's much better than me, so I'm sure he saw them too. I buy the rib injury thing. I've had a rib injury and it kills anything you do from your back. But kudos for Anderson for pulling out the sub.

Good night for jiu jitsu? Maybe, I dunno. Silva's triangle was nice, but also Hughes put Almeida to sleep with a front headlock. Whether he was dazed from the punch or not doesn't matter, it still happened. Listen, those of us who train know that it's a highly effective grappling style. Even proponents of other grappling styles train bjj to round out their game (just as many of us train or incorporate other styles into what we do). So one night doesn't shift the game one way or another.

Paraphrasing Ryron and Rener Gracie's reaction to the fight: you have to know jiu-jitsu to survive jiu-jitsu. Chael doesn't know jiu-jitsu.

There were so many submission openings for Silva that I saw. And he's much better than me, so I'm sure he saw them too. I buy the rib injury thing.

This. The whole fight I was SCREAMING for him to take the triangle and he wouldn't. He set up multiple sweeps too and just didnt commit to them. I was so frustrated the entire fight that he wasn't doing anything when he clearly saw the openings. The rib injury definitely makes sense.

Paraphrasing Ryron and Rener Gracie's reaction to the fight: you have to know jiu-jitsu to survive jiu-jitsu. Chael doesn't know jiu-jitsu.

Unless you train in Sambo, Judo, Catch etc etc. BJJ doesnt have exclusive rights to submissions.

Waiting for their breakdown of the Huges/Almeida fight....

Good for BJJ? Seriously?

I was questioning Anderson's black belt for the majority of the fight considering lots of the considerably rookie decisions he was making such as, but not limited to:

- thinking it was a good idea to keep the strong-based Chael in BUTTERFLY GUARD

I am sorry, but if you are not a BB, which I suspect you are not then you really have no business questioning someone's BB in an MMA FIGHT. (remember MMA is not a BJJ contest).
-shit you want to question rafael assunciao's BB after he got subbed by a purple belt?

We've seen Anderson use the body triangle from bottom before. He uses it to secure his opponent and fire off some elbows in a 3-9 o'clock direction. His legs are long, so he only needs to hip out a little to release it.

I noted early that Sonnen's only triangle defense seemed to be throwing the legs over in an attempt to pass. It wasn't going to work forever. Same as Fedor.

My question is, why do people think that Sonnen deserves an immediate rematch?

People were also talking about giving Fedor an immediate rematch with Werdum after he got submitted the same way.

Is there something about the triangle from guard that makes people think of it as a "lucky" submission? Do people actually think that Sonnen getting triangled for a fourth time was somehow a "fluke?"

People were also talking about giving Fedor an immediate rematch with Werdum after he got submitted the same way.

Is there something about the triangle from guard that makes people think of it as a "lucky" submission? Do people actually think that Sonnen getting triangled for a fourth time was somehow a "fluke?"

I agree not sure why all the talk of a rematch......Sonnon tapped out. Let Sonnon fight someone else and earn his shot again. The fight did not end in controversy so there is no need for a rematch.

I dont think it was the triangle red axe, I think it was the fact that he is the 1st guy in some time to Not only give Silva a fight but be beating him the enitre time.

And to Rener I respond, it works both ways playa'

picture-57.jpg

I think interstingly enough for two completely different reasons.

Fedor because he is a god amungst men in MMA

For Chael because he was kicking the Sh!t out of a demi god amunst men in MMA.

But fully get your point, it seems like the triangle is somehow looked at as "geting caught" and that sort of takes away from the technique, moves, and patience it takes to get a triangle.

Back