Silva vs St-Pierre the greatest fight that never was

Who would have won?

• Total voters
That's a good one, on par with GSP's, let me tell you.

Now, I'm not gonna argue that picture was taken 5 years prior to GSP's, mostly because that doesn't matter to me, I'm not accusing GSP of roiding while Silva being natty. But I'm obligated to be the devil's advocate here:

Silva is a known steroid abuser, what does these two pictures say about GSP?

GSP has the body frame to get bulky much more easily than Silva's body frame.

I'd like (to some extent) seeing UFC free of all steroids, but I can't scrap that feeling that the genie is out of the bottle and there's no way how USADA can keep up with 'roids super-shady industry. Most likely USADA can't even frame the stuff Romero/Costa are using, and there's a possibility they're doing different stuff.
I know what you mean with the genie being out of the bottle, that is one of my concerns as well.
A thought of mine regarding stricter testing and stricter punishment for failing tests was the following: what if you'd need to sign a contract, which says that you'd have to pay a certain percentage of your money made in fights back, if you're ever tested positive? Like, a really big amount of money, that hurts big time.

Also: if an athlete is on something that's not known at the time, is it possible to conserve the testing samples and test them years later for a substance that wasn't known back then or do the traces of those substances vanish inside the blood after a certain time?
Because if fighters could pop even years later for something banned and then would be fined to pay big amounts of money, then i could definitely see the sport becoming much, much cleaner.

For a lot of his career he also fought 2x5minute rounds instead of 3 rounds, where atleast in california that can be considered an amateur bout under some agreements.
For comparison in Khabib's 10th pro bout, he fought Said Khalilov in the middle of Said's worst skid of his career alongside it only being a 2 rounder.
GSP's 9th Pro bout he fought Mayhem Miller during Mayhem's best run in his entire career.

He also fought at welterweight against many smaller opponents and most likely got favorable matchups. Khabib's dad is basically the godfather of MMA where Khabib grew up and has major connections with most Russian promotions. I wouldn't be shocked if they gave Khabib easier fights to get him used to the bigger leagues in the future. Not like it would matter or not the dude is a savage either way.

But yeah over HALF of Khabib's younger career is pretty weak even compared to some Japanese scene guys.

Hmmm...some potential inaccuracies there...

> "He also fought at welterweight against many smaller opponents"

This was the context:

> btw Fight 1 & 4: @ LW
> btw Fight 5 & 6: @ WW
> btw Fight 7 & 8: @ LW
> btw Fight 9 & 16: @ WW

Total = 6 fights @ LW / 10 fights @ WW.

In those 16 pre-UFC fights, besides Shahinyan & Mamedov, those opponents were hardly undersized imo...
Which ones are ya thinkin´about?

> vs Khalilov, was actually his 11th fight.

Meanwhile, Khalilov was hardly in "the worst skid of his career"

He was actually 4 W - 2 L in his last 6.
One of these 2 losses was a Dec. one against Tumenov who would then compete in the UFC.

Context: Khabib had no less than 7 fights in 2011.
Between Feb. & Jul. [5 months], 4 fights :
- 2 outmatched opponents [Khalilov & Shahinyan]

- 2 decent tests [Agafonov & Abadzhyan]

> About Khabib´s "protected" career & connections:
He basically had to sign with ProFC after his M1 run.

Meanwhile, he had to fight Eldarov, who is his childhood friend & a legit high level wrassler.

> 2 Rounders: some of these MMA Org. were heavily influenced by Combat Sambo´s Fight Configuration.
Meanwhile, some of these fights (5 Fights) were durin´ 2 one-night tournaments:

- Tsumada Fighting Championship
- Pancration Atrium Cup

> Finally, about this "Godfather" thing:
Well, one could argue that No Rush had a protected career in UCC:
he got the TS (!?) in his 2nd pro fight, from Stephane Patry, (UCC´s CEO &.... No Rush´s Manager!) to fight Justin Bruckmann...He basically got the TS after a highly controversial & weird "thing" against Menjivar (even No Rush acknowledged it should have been a NC)...
Meanwhile, his path to the TS in UFC was built on fightin´...rookies (talented [Karo, Hieron], sure, but ... rookies...)

Last edited:
GSP at 185, disadvantage, GSP at 170 advantage. I would favor GSP generally, higher fight IQ, more fighting balance, just as athletic as Silva. He would find a way to negate size advantage and would get the fight to the ground and dominate.

Anderson would have put Georges out cold or Georges would’ve tapped to strikes

Georges simply wasn’t as confident in himself as his biased fans were
To be fair to us biased gap fans. Georges didn't share his knowledge of Anderson's cheatin with us. Although looking back he did mention he knew who was doing what but never any names.

Hmmm...some potential inaccuracies there...

> "He also fought at welterweight against many smaller opponents"

This was the context:

> btw Fight 1 & 4: @ LW
> btw Fight 5 & 6: @ WW
> btw Fight 7 & 8: @ LW
> btw Fight 9 & 16: @ WW

Total = 6 fights @ LW / 10 fights @ WW.

In those 16 pre-UFC fights, besides Shahinyan @ Mamedov, those opponents were hardly undersized imo...
Which ones are ya thinkin´about?

> vs Khalilov, was actually his 11th fight.

Meanwhile, Khalilov was hardly in "the worst skid of his career"

He was actually 4 W - 2 L in his last 6.
One of these 2 losses was a Dec. one against Tumenov who would then compete in the UFC.

Context: Khabib had no less than 7 fights in 2011.
Between Feb. & Jul. [5 months], 4 fights :
- 2 outmatched opponents [Khalilov & Shahinyan]

- 2 decent tests [Agafonov & Abadzhyan]

> About Khabib´s "protected" career & connections:
He basically had to sign with ProFC after his M1 run.

Meanwhile, he had to fight Eldarov, who is his childhood friend & a legit high level wrassler.

> 2 Rounders: some of these MMA Org. were heavily influenced by Combat Sambo´s Fight Configuration.
Meanwhile, some of these fights (5 Fights) were durin´ 2 one-night tournaments:

- Tsumada Fighting Championship
- Pancration Atrium Cup

> Finally, about this "Godfather" thing:
Well, one could argue that No Rush had a protected career in UCC:
he got the TS (!?) in his 2nd pro fight, from Stephane Patry, (UCC´s CEO &.... No Rush´s Manager!) to fight Justin Bruckmann...He basically got the TS after a highly controversial & weird "thing" against Menjivar (even No Rush acknowledged it should have been a NC)...
Meanwhile, his path to the TS in UFC was built on fightin´...rookies (talented [Karo, Hieron], sure, but ... rookies...)
Great work as always Gono. When referring to Khalilov I was referring more to his future decline than his last fights. Excuse me for not being clear.
Also the welterweight comment I was just stating he fought often at welter. Once again excuse me for my lack of clarity.
Damn man I thought I read all your MMA myth posts. Missed this one!

It's kind of a toss up for me.

But GSP is a smart fighter. And he saw something in Anderson he evidently did NOT like, opponent-wise.

So I'm leaning slightly toward Anderson.

Stop crying you clown, you keep going on about 170....fact remains GSP was offered Silva at 185 and he said no, and that was when they were both in their prime and champions. It made the most sense at that stage of their career....it was a Superfight and it never happened because of GSP

Anderson was offered GSP at 170, but didn't want it. GSP was offered Anderson at 185 but didn't want it. Both have fought at 170 and 185 at one point in their careers.

Anyone who thinks either one or the other is the one who ducked is biased. Both avoided fighting the other guy at the other guy's weight division. So who to blame for the fight? The UFC, for not offering whoever was willing to change weight a $5 million bonus. Only a very stupid business man would give a competitor a big advantage without a good financial bonus. Neither GSP nor Anderson is stupid. Fans who think one or the other should have changed weight without a huge monetary bonus have no business sense at all.

Anderson was offered GSP at 170, but didn't want it. GSP was offered Anderson at 185 but didn't want it. Both have fought at 170 and 185 at one point in their careers.

Anyone who thinks either one or the other is the one who ducked is biased. Both avoided fighting the other guy at the other guy's weight division. So who to blame for the fight? The UFC, for not offering whoever was willing to change weight a $5 million bonus. Only a very stupid business man would give a competitor a big advantage without a good financial bonus. Neither GSP nor Anderson is stupid. Fans who think one or the other should have changed weight without a huge monetary bonus have no business sense at all.
Asking Silva to make 170 that late in his career is dumb, he hadnt fought at that weight class for about 6 years...why face a depleted Silva? at 185 both fighters would have cut little weight and would perform at there best. Silva never returned to 170 ever again, GSP actually moved up to 185 for an easy title fight and then ran away lol

Personal preference but I would have much rather seen Randy vs undefeated Fedor than this fight.

That wouldn’t have been much of a fight. Fedor would have absolutely smashed him.

And I love Randy and am not a fan of Fedor.

Last edited:
Great work as always Gono. When referring to Khalilov I was referring more to his future decline than his last fights. Excuse me for not being clear.
Also the welterweight comment I was just stating he fought often at welter. Once again excuse me for my lack of clarity.
Damn man I thought I read all your MMA myth posts. Missed this one!
chow2.gif

Lol all these years and some of you still think you can duck fighters that aren't in your weight class. Using your logic 99.9% of fighters are ducks.

Chael Sonnen walked over prime Silva. What do you think GSP would have done to him?

Definitely a missed opportunity for the sport and fans. Both guys were trying to protect their legacies which caused a lot of hesitation. Too bad.

I honestly don't know who would have won in their primes. I'm slightly leaning towards GSP but I'm unsure. I just hope Khabib vs Tony doesn't end up in the same bracket, of great fights that never ever actually happened.

Then post a picture of Silva more built up than that.

EDIT: I have to go and pick up the lady at super market, back in 10, maybe 15.
What sense does that make? Do you actually think every single person has the same body type and workout routine?

GSP has the body frame to get bulky much more easily than Silva's body frame.
<LikeReally5>

I know what you mean with the genie being out of the bottle, that is one of my concerns as well.
--snip--
Because if fighters could pop even years later for something banned and then would be fined to pay big amounts of money, then i could definitely see the sport becoming much, much cleaner.
[Sorry for the ultra long reply, try reading it throughly]
Yeah, also I'm afraid this corporation are already corrupt enough (both UFC and USADA), giving them more power would maximize that outcome. Also, we saw what happens when you put 2 natty GOATs to fight it other at Costa vs Romero: Fun and excitement. The best possible outcome for clean UFC still doesn't rock my boat thaaat much, much too responsible for me lol

Anyway, let me tell you what I think about GSP vs. Silva:

GSP has the better odds against Silva in a standard, default world.
But we all know Silva, he's unorthodox, if nothing weird happens in 5 rounds GSP would score an UD with that utterly predictable yet sound GSP game plan. (Which btw would score him the victory, yet very little on GOATpoints[tm], still the objective is to win)

Question being: What are the odds of something unexpected, a crazy kick, a sudden uppercut, a spinning fist right into your chin happening? If anything falls beyond GSP's plan, price tag is bad. What are the chances of that happening? To me, around 52% Silva, 46% Georges, 2% draw. That's razor close (6% delta), and you can check this thread: Unbiased (as if there was such thing) people call it a close fight, no matter who comes on top.

Bottom line 1: Nobody wants to leave their own ruling kingdom & risk their asses at other's division. Silva should have done it as he was way older than the other 2, but coming to think of it now it's good for his legacy, we can see his age caught up, and nobody says "Weidman is a super fighter who took Silva's soul", Weidman ended up being the Evander Holyfield of MMA, and Silva a crazy ye olde guy who is happy to fight a truck with flamethrowers as long as we pay him enough money.

Bottom line 2: GSP vs Silva is meh, what I'd really wanted to see was pre-Serra GSP vs Silva, think about fireworks...... Jones wouldn't even be allowed at GOAT discussions had we ever made such fight.

Anderson would have put Georges out cold or Georges would’ve tapped to strikes

Georges simply wasn’t as confident in himself as his biased fans were

Anderson was the insecure one. Hence the multiple failed drug test and dick pills

Silva was great, but GSP would have been his kryptonite. It would have looked like the first Chael fight except waaaaaay worse for Silva, and no way GSP would have gotten caught in a triangle.

Back