Silva vs Lombard

Good one. But lets see Hector perform against some top MWs besides the second smallest one next to himself. I just can't get excited about Lombard at 185, he's too small.

Lombard vs GSP, thats another story

Yeah I'd like to see Hector against other MW's too, but really, he's in his early 30's & doesn't exactly need to prove much else to be deserving of fighting Silva imo. Watch how Lombard walks down his opponents along with how experienced he is, tell me that's not gonna happen against Silva and that you don't wanna see that!..

I have to stop with the Silva nutnugging, people gonna hate. He has an inane ability to make stronger guys look weak, I can't explain it but he does seem to live in the matrix. Not unbeatable but he beats all MW 9/10 times and all LHW but Jones and maybe Machida. Not saying he'd lose to Jones but it would be a contest. I'd love to see him against Machida but obviously not gonna happen

The Bisping fight, if it happens, will be telling about how Lombard deals with someone who uses length and speed like Silva would. Not saying Bisping is on Silva's level, but if Lombard handles that well then I at least give him a chance.

imo he has the best chance at Silva out of the remaining MW contenders

I really don't think Lombard has much of a chance I think to get the clinch to take him down he would need to eat quite a few shots to get inside and even if he did clinch him he may have to eat a fair few knees before he can get him down. I think Silva is a bad match up for Lombard he is just to good standing and has excellent footwork to keep it at a distance

What a noob thread.

Been watching MMA for a day right?

I can't see how Lombard beats Silva. He just looks too short and compact. Silva could land deadly assassin strikes all day and Lombard would be having to come swinging in with wild punches to even get close.

It's not like he would come in with a Sonnen style game plan.

The guy loses a boring fight against Boetsch and beats a one dimensional Palhares. IMO he isn't even top 5 in his weight class. He needs more top wins.

Besides his plodding forward looking for one big bomb would play right into Silvas strength.

All true.

I give Lombard a punchers chance at best

The only reason that fight is interesting for me is the ground dynamics. Lombard is a fantastic grappler, and Silva is weakest off of his back.

I think Anderson styles on him standing.

ah yes. Lombard with his superior record defeating the likes of .... that guy, that other guy, palhares, and who can forget the mma legend he triumped over... insert name here. Yes. What a resume. Anderson has some serious competition in the GOAT discussion

Any modest talent or decently skilled guy can put up big numbers against bums and worn out journeymen. Add in a few good guys who are fighting out of their weighclass on short notice and you can look really impressive.

Boxing learned a long time ago that if you rack up a bunch of wins against overmatched opponents you can build a contender.

No amount of MMAth will convince me that Hector Lombard is anything but middle of the road. If he keeps doing to top ten guys what he did to Palhares then that will change my opinion. Other than that I don't care if there are a bunch of guys with a Lombard man crush.

Back