Silva vs Diaz : best outcome for UFC?

I think the best outcome would be Anderson taking out Diaz like he did Forrest or Franklin. Where its not a quick KO......but a fight where he shows off a bit, does some damage and then gets a spectacular finish.

Dana already said Anderson fights Vitor/Weidman....so they are hoping for something special here.

A 5 round war that makes both guys look good after it is over, regardless of the winner

That wouldn't male Andy look good. Diaz is there to cash checks now it seems. Andy wants another title. Andy seems like he would be the best bet for ufc moving forword.

Silva by knockout. It reestablishes him as a fighter to be taken seriously, and gives Diaz less room to complain about how much he gets paid.

Silva is a 205er fighting a 170er ala Tito Ortiz vs. Storm Schlemenko.

Diaz is going to get annihilated.

This thread is not about who you are cheering for, or who you think is going to win.

Simply put, what would be the best possible outcome of this fight, from a strictly business/ marketing sense? What would set up better matches and best selling PPVs?

If Anderson wins
Even though he already lost twice to Weidman, there could be plenty of interest for a 3rd match down the road, if Anderson beats Diaz by KO. Two legit wins for Weidman in spite of the clowning and the leg break, but a third fight would be sellable nonetheless. If AS wins by close decision, maybe we could see AS vs Machida, if they are willing to fight each other. (A few years I seem to remember that they wouldn't, but this may have changed)

If Diaz wins
We see a lot of talk about a rematch between Diaz and Lawler on the forums, but I think that Nick would need a WW top contender first. Their first fight was a long time ago, and Nick hasn't won a fight at WW for over 3 years. WW still has plenty to offer, but with guys like Rory and Lombard waiting in line until the Lawler Hendricks saga is over, having Diaz get a title shot from a win in a differrent weightclass may not be the best move by the UFC. However, a win over Anderson Silva opens up possibilities for Diaz at 185. There would be plenty of great money making fights for him there.

All this to say that there is benefits regardless of who wins, but I think that AS winning would probably generate more interest down the road. Nick will always be marketable no matter what, but AS regaining some of his pre-Weidman aura would be great for the UFC, especially with GSP gone.

I love Anderson. If he wins I hope he retires and rides off into the sunset. He starts a training camp with Fedor.

Diaz wins, beats Lawler and beats Weidman then retires. He takes a picture with Jon Jones passed out in a mountain of coke while he smokes a fatty with Dana White and Conor McGregor. Sherdog goes nuts.

Why do you think they are hoping Hendricks takes the belt back? I would think Lawlor is more the type of champion they crave. Hendricks is a great fighter, but he's not exactly the most "popular" WW Champion we've ever seen.

Not sure. I personally think it's so they can make GSP-Hendricks 2. Just my opinion though.

That wouldn't male Andy look good. Diaz is there to cash checks now it seems. Andy wants another title. Andy seems like he would be the best bet for ufc moving forword.

I don't think that's really true. Andy said he didn't care about the title anymore....then his sponsors started backing away so he changed his tune.

That really makes it seem like he doesn't want it, he's just saying he does to appease everyone.

Edit: I see you were talking about Diaz. He will still co-main or main event more fights even if he loses.

I don't know... He talks a lot of shit to the UFC. I think if he puts on a poor showing he'll either Retire again, or he'll refuse to take low paying fights on the undercard, and therefore not fight at all for a while. It's not like we don't already know this about Nick.

As for a Main? I think the only way he ever gets another main event is if he somehow earns another Title shot. Which isn't likely in my book. WW is a murderers row. I think Condit alone would probably stop him. He's already stopped him once. ;)

Not sure. I personally think it's so they can make GSP-Hendricks 2. Just my opinion though.

If Lawlor retains the Title and GSP comes back and beats him, the next guy in line would probably be Hendricks. So that may still happen. I'd certainly like to see them do it again. :)

I don't know... He talks a lot of shit to the UFC. I think if he puts on a poor showing he'll either Retire again, or he'll refuse to take low paying fights on the undercard, and therefore not fight at all for a while. It's not like we don't already know this about Nick.

As for a Main? I think the only way he ever gets another main event is if he somehow earns another Title shot. Which isn't likely in my book. WW is a murderers row. I think Condit alone would probably stop him. He's already stopped him once. ;)

nick doesn't have to earn main events....haven't you been paying attention?

He's won 1 fight in the UFC in 9 years and he fought for 2 titles in a row and GSP and AS back to back. He's not going anywhere even if he gets starched.

The UFC are for sure banking on Diaz getting KFTO

BEST OPTION
Diaz dominates Silva for several rounds, then in the final round
he clips Silva who becomes wobbly. But wait... it's not wobbles,
it's Drunken Kung Fu.
Silva staggers and lurches around the Octagon, unleashing backhand
strikes and side kicks, then a sideways double fist to the head and
chest knocks Diaz out.
Stephen Seagal nods slowly from the sidelines.

SECOND BEST OPTION
Diaz' comes out with a strategy to target Silva's previously broken leg.
He lands a wicked side kick and crumples to the canvas because Silva
now has a permanent titanium insert along the bone.

nick doesn't have to earn main events....haven't you been paying attention?

He's won 1 fight in the UFC in 9 years and he fought for 2 titles in a row and GSP and AS back to back. He's not going anywhere even if he gets starched.

Lol. I get your point, but that was a long time ago. I don't think Nick's stock is worth what it once was. If he lays a serious egg like Nate did in his last one, I think the draw of the Diaz brothers is going to take a severe hit. Of course, a brilliant showing could certainly change all that. What I'd like to see is a 5 round war with a close decision. That would be good for everyone.

Lol. I get your point, but that was a long time ago. I don't think Nick's stock is worth what it once was. If he lays a serious egg like Nate did in his last one, I think the draw of the Diaz brothers is going to take a severe hit. Of course, a brilliant showing could certainly change all that. What I'd like to see is a 5 round war with a close decision. That would be good for everyone.

How can you say his stock is dropped when we're 3 weeks away from a ppv with him main eventing that's gonna get 750k buys?

The UFC are for sure banking on Diaz getting KFTO
ekQAENu.jpg

I hope the little bastard gets KTFO - Dana White

Last edited:
How can you say his stock is dropped when we're 3 weeks away from a ppv with him main eventing that's gonna get 750k buys?

They put Diaz in there so he can get his ass royally kicked. People wanna see that! You don't seriously think the UFC gave him this fight because he's the best? Hell, Condit could probably beat Diaz right now.

They put Diaz in there so he can get his ass royally kicked. People wanna see that! You don't seriously think the UFC gave him this fight because he's the best? Hell, Condit could probably beat Diaz right now.

I agree with that, I just don't agree that they are gonna throw him away after this fight,
Especially if the ppv does well.

The UFc wants one of two things:
Anderson to KO Nick badly early in the fight
or Anderson winning a back and forth war that is a classic.

I agree with that, I just don't agree that they are gonna throw him away after this fight,
Especially if the ppv does well.

Oh I don't think they'll throw him away. I just don't think they will offer him the kind of money he's looking for and he won't take the fights. I do think he'll be back, but I wouldn't be surprised if he takes another extended break. On the other hand, if he makes a really good showing and it's a close competitive fight, he could just as easily raise his stock back up. People will always have a soft spot for Nick Diaz. I know I do. I'd love to see him come out and really give Andy a run for his money.

Back