Silva vs Diaz : best outcome for UFC?

Otto!

Steel Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
This thread is not about who you are cheering for, or who you think is going to win.

Simply put, what would be the best possible outcome of this fight, from a strictly business/ marketing sense? What would set up better matches and best selling PPVs?

If Anderson wins
Even though he already lost twice to Weidman, there could be plenty of interest for a 3rd match down the road, if Anderson beats Diaz by KO. Two legit wins for Weidman in spite of the clowning and the leg break, but a third fight would be sellable nonetheless. If AS wins by close decision, maybe we could see AS vs Machida, if they are willing to fight each other. (A few years I seem to remember that they wouldn't, but this may have changed)

If Diaz wins
We see a lot of talk about a rematch between Diaz and Lawler on the forums, but I think that Nick would need a WW top contender first. Their first fight was a long time ago, and Nick hasn't won a fight at WW for over 3 years. WW still has plenty to offer, but with guys like Rory and Lombard waiting in line until the Lawler Hendricks saga is over, having Diaz get a title shot from a win in a differrent weightclass may not be the best move by the UFC. However, a win over Anderson Silva opens up possibilities for Diaz at 185. There would be plenty of great money making fights for him there.

All this to say that there is benefits regardless of who wins, but I think that AS winning would probably generate more interest down the road. Nick will always be marketable no matter what, but AS regaining some of his pre-Weidman aura would be great for the UFC, especially with GSP gone.

I don't think it really matters.

AS has the resume, so the outcome really doesn't matter for him. A loss to Nick will cause a lot of "AS was never really that good" threads on sherdog, but overall won't really effect his aura and selling ability.

And nick is fighting up a weight class, so him losing to one of the GOAT's won't really tarnish his reputation at all.

I think the best outcome is a 5 round split decision war that results in a lot of controversy about the decision. Then both fighters come out looking good.

Best case scenario is a back and forth fight, possibly a split decision where neither guy loses their aura with the fans. Or maybe just a highlight reel KO by Anderson to make everyone remember that he's the GOAT.

No question, the best outcome for UFC would be Anderson KTFOing Diaz ala Leben.

A 5 round war that makes both guys look good after it is over, regardless of the winner

A close, exciting fight with Silva coming out on top.

Silva winning puts him back at the top of Middleweight, and if he can win one more up the top, like Kennedy, getting another title shot wouldn't seem as bizarre. Also doesn't hurt his position as one of the best fighters in MMA history.

Diaz losing, but only just, and putting in an exciting performance, sets up a Lawler rematch (should he lose the title) or a Condit rematch on his return. Two fights most MMA fans would want to see, and don't seem crazy.

This thread is not about who you are cheering for, or who you think is going to win.

Simply put, what would be the best possible outcome of this fight, from a strictly business/ marketing sense?

A love child that can't speak either English or Portuguese properly but loves to fight. I can just hear the little dude now: "Yeah! Is normal homie. Where you at?"

a front kick KO ala Vitor by Anderson round 1 would be the best outcome for the UFC from a marketing standpoint so UFC can hype up that Anderson is back and coming for the title.

If it were a back and forth fight, that won't be good, because there will be a lot of questions as to whether or not Anderson is half as good as he once was, because prime Anderson steamrolls Diaz 10 out of 10 times.

If Nick Diaz wins, Anderson loses his appeal forever for being considered washed-up and Diaz doesn't get half as much credit as he may deserve because they'll blame Andersons lay off and injury as to why he won.

Anderson taking his head off clean would be the best outcome.

This fight was made for a reason -- to give UFC the best outcome, which is Silva knocking Diaz the fuck out. He does this, and the Weidman/injury thing becomes less relevant. Diaz winning does nothing for the UFC, really.

You people gotta remember, Dana and UFC want back the Anderson who they could hype as their P4P world beater. The absolute best outcome for them would be Anderson mauling Diaz and winning back the title. Then Dana could spin that he's got the two best fighters ever fighting at the same time in the same org.

And then hopefully they end up directly fighting.

This fight was made for a reason -- to give UFC the best outcome, which is Silva knocking Diaz the fuck out. He does this, and the Weidman/injury thing becomes less relevant. Diaz winning does nothing for the UFC, really.

Except justify a Diaz title shot, another big money fight.

Simply put, what would be the best possible outcome of this fight, from a strictly business/ marketing sense? What would set up better matches and best selling PPVs?

If Anderson wins
Even though he already lost twice to Weidman, there could be plenty of interest for a 3rd match down the road, if Anderson beats Diaz by KO. Two legit wins for Weidman in spite of the clowning and the leg break, but a third fight would be sellable nonetheless. If AS wins by close decision, maybe we could see AS vs Machida, if they are willing to fight each other. (A few years I seem to remember that they wouldn't, but this may have changed)

If Diaz wins
We see a lot of talk about a rematch between Diaz and Lawler on the forums, but I think that Nick would need a WW top contender first. Their first fight was a long time ago, and Nick hasn't won a fight at WW for over 3 years. WW still has plenty to offer, but with guys like Rory and Lombard waiting in line until the Lawler Hendricks saga is over, having Diaz get a title shot from a win in a differrent weightclass may not be the best move by the UFC. However, a win over Anderson Silva opens up possibilities for Diaz at 185. There would be plenty of great money making fights for him there.

All this to say that there is benefits regardless of who wins, but I think that AS winning would probably generate more interest down the road. Nick will always be marketable no matter what, but AS regaining some of his pre-Weidman aura would be great for the UFC, especially with GSP gone.

I do not like this fight because I do not want to see AS weaken Diaz jaw. What is the point here? Whoever wins or loses, it seems pointless Just fight in their weight class please. thats all. If AS can fight at 170..do I really care? no....he should fight at 185...wow, so he beats up a 170 pound guy when he is easily heavier. I do not care for this fight. However, I will watch it just to see what happens. That is the bottom line. Most people just want to see what happens. If Diaz wins though, sorry Diaz, But he would never beat a prime AS. So again...stupid fight.

The UFC is making Lawler-Hendricks 3 in the hopes that Hendricks takes the belt back. I suppose they could make Lawler-Diaz 2 and give Diaz a TS if he wins. I highly doubt the UFC wants Diaz as a champ tho.

I don't think it really matters.

AS has the resume, so the outcome really doesn't matter for him. A loss to Nick will cause a lot of "AS was never really that good" threads on sherdog, but overall won't really effect his aura and selling ability.

And nick is fighting up a weight class, so him losing to one of the GOAT's won't really tarnish his reputation at all.

I think the best outcome is a 5 round split decision war that results in a lot of controversy about the decision. Then both fighters come out looking good.

I think it would. His stock has been dropping anyway. A devastating loss would definitely hurt him in regards to the UFC and his future prospects. Especially considering what a PITA he is to his bosses. I think they are probably hoping he gets his ass handed to him.

The UFC is making Lawler-Hendricks 3 in the hopes that Hendricks takes the belt back. I suppose they could make Lawler-Diaz 2 and give Diaz a TS if he wins. I highly doubt the UFC wants Diaz as a champ tho.

Why do you think they are hoping Hendricks takes the belt back? I would think Lawlor is more the type of champion they crave. Hendricks is a great fighter, but he's not exactly the most "popular" WW Champion we've ever seen.

I think it would. His stock has been dropping anyway. A devastating loss would definitely hurt him in regards to the UFC and his future prospects. Especially considering what a PITA he is to his bosses. I think they are probably hoping he gets his ass handed to him.

Do you really think Diaz destroying silva is a likely outcome of the fight? I don't.

Diaz's only real chance is winning a decision. He's too small and slow to demolish Andy.

Edit: I see you were talking about Diaz. He will still co-main or main event more fights even if he loses.

Back