Silva v Diaz - Is this a bad match up?

If Nick looks as bad as his brother against Dos Anjos, then they might as well give Silva the win now.

Which is why I pointed out the Bonnar fight.

A guy with slower striking than Griffen ... yet he clearly was able to tag Silva more than once.

This is a guy that a younger Silva would have matrixed ... but he couldn't.

Silva is clearly slower and more hittable and his chin is cracked.

Silva is old. I would not be shocked if Diaz beats him.

This fight is for Anderson to get his confidence back and work out the mental issues he might have due to the injury. That is all.

When Silva is in great shape he's usually about 190-192 a few weeks before the fight.His body type can put on weight and drop it like nothing,some people are just like that.If he's in great shape then he should be entering the cage at about the same weight as Nick maybe 5 pounds more.I honestly question if Silva will be in that championship condition,I really don't think so and he'll probably be carrying extra weight from the long layoff and devastating injury.I honestly could care less about the weight,the heavier silva is the better for Diaz imo and if Silva's in awesome shape they will be about the same.

For some reason people think Silva cuts some crazy amount just cause he can get 210-220 between fights but he's not cutting that weight it's falling off as he get's in shape.It's useless weight especially cause Diaz isn't going to try and wrestle him.The weight itself isn't much of a factor,the fact that Silva is used to fighting bigger stronger guys is a factor and Diaz is used to fighting shorter guys in general so the weight class thing is a big difference I just don't think the weight itself means much.I'm not sure why saying well Silva has fought at LHW means anything,Diaz has fought at MW...If it's a mismatch I think we all know why and it's not going to be that 7 pounds he has on Nick.

Not sure why anyone would question this fluff piece fight,it's pretty obvious why it's being made and everyone excited for it so we all win,and it's not like Nick can't win.

All you said is correct and well written, except the part about Nick.

Actually it is like Nick can`t win.

It is like putting Bisping vs Gus at LHW. It screams mismatch.

Yep, Silva will steamroll Nick. He's just too big, too fast and too good for Nick's cardio-overwhelming-plod-forward-slow-as-molasses style.

Nick has been Koed twice before

Trolling, or just stupid? You know there is a difference between having a fight stopped by the ref and actually being knocked out?

Never been knocked out.

Fightfinder n00b.

The best thing about this stupid fight is that Diaz will most likely get beat the fuck up.

A guy with slower striking than Griffen ... yet he clearly was able to tag Silva more than once.

It's a fight and everybody gets hit in a fight. Don't be fooled by that. The real point was that Silva was never in danger for even a second vs Bonnar who was roided up for that fight and given free shots to Silva's chin.

Nick has no power, is very slow and very one dimensional in his attacks. I'd be extremely shocked if Diaz beats him.

Nick is going to beat the shit out of anderson. The excuses will fly (you see everyone trying to get them lined up), but it would have happened whenever they met up.

Haha I love the Diaz fans in this thread.

Silva is gonna put the heat on him. This is gonna be another embarrassing loss for Diaz then he will probably retire in the cage for the 3rd time in a row.

I don't think Diaz is gonna be fearlessly moving forward with combinations and jabs in this fight. You're gonna see him just as tentative as he was against GSP. If not more.

It's a no win outcome for Silva

When he beats Diaz, who cares?? he is expected to crush him

I'd disagree with that. A win would do a world for him and more specifically UFC's ability to market him and make boatload of money. Right now, Silva is the guy who lost 2 fights in a row and is down and out. A win vs Diaz, who although fights at a lower category is still a big name, would announce that Anderson is coming back and better than ever and bla-bla-bla so UFC will sell even more PPVs for his next fight.

Oh, and he stands to make a lot of money of the Diaz fight as well, no?

This is a showcase fight for Anderson. 2 big names and Nick's style matches up perfectly for Anderson. This is meant to show that 'the Spider is back and better than evar'

this. diaz plodding forward like a zombie is absolutely tailor made for silva's style.

and i'm going to enjoy watching the inevitable outcome. no 'baby leg kicks' in this one.

It's literally the perfect match up to see where anderson is physically. Diaz is gonna push the pace and keep coming at him so we will get to see some of that vintage Silva counter striking. Can't wait.

All you said is correct and well written, except the part about Nick.

Actually it is like Nick can`t win.

It is like putting Bisping vs Gus at LHW. It screams mismatch.

Silva's style depends heavily on his reflexes and movement,he is old and coming off snapping his leg in half and getting dominated twice.The signs are already there and this is a guy who in his prime ran away from Damien Maia the last 3 rounds losing the last 2...like dead tired running away.He admitted I didn't do anything cause I was tired.He also coasted vs Leitas,a few others and looked like he was starting to coast with Cote.That was in his physical prime,what he's coming back from is crazy and we should all be questioning how he'll look even if he wasn't coming off a career threatening injury.Nick has the cardio,style,boxing and chin to frustrate Silva and Silva doesn't do great with slick guys coming after him.Half the guys he fought wouldn't even fight him and in turn he looked invincible.

Nick will fight him and it could backfire or he could wear down Silva and considering everything,if Silva doesn't look good and Diaz is in tip top condition,don't kid yourself we absolutely could have an upset and Silva go ko'd by Weidman twice (the 2nd fight was flash ko in the 1st but recovered) and weidman isn't exactly a power puncher.You know that term getting old in 1 fight?Where people's careers are never ever even close to where they were after that fight...Silva might have had that one already.You,me and every single person reading this is wrong on average 3-5 times per event and many of those endings aren't expected,it's impossible to say something is for sure and this particular fight isn't near the lock I see on many events.Of course I make about 500 picks a week but still,this is a winnable fight for Diaz,I certainly wouldn't pick him to win but he can and I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

He got tagged sure, but he also dodged alot of Bonnar's punches. Also add that Anderson was not in the best shape for that fight and was fighting like he knew Bonnar wouldn't ko him .

Silva's style depends heavily on his reflexes and movement,he is old and coming off snapping his leg in half and getting dominated twice.The signs are already there and this is a guy who in his prime ran away from Damien Maia the last 3 rounds losing the last 2...like dead tired running away.He admitted I didn't do anything cause I was tired.He also coasted vs Leitas,a few others and looked like he was starting to coast with Cote.That was in his physical prime,what he's coming back from is crazy and we should all be questioning how he'll look even if he wasn't coming off a career threatening injury.Nick has the cardio,style,boxing and chin to frustrate Silva and Silva doesn't do great with slick guys coming after him.Half the guys he fought wouldn't even fight him and in turn he looked invincible.

Nick will fight him and it could backfire or he could wear down Silva and considering everything,if Silva doesn't look good and Diaz is in tip top condition,don't kid yourself we absolutely could have an upset and Silva go ko'd by Weidman twice (the 2nd fight was flash ko in the 1st but recovered) and weidman isn't exactly a power puncher.You know that term getting old in 1 fight?Where people's careers are never ever even close to where they were after that fight...Silva might have had that one already.You,me and every single person reading this is wrong on average 3-5 times per event and many of those endings aren't expected,it's impossible to say something is for sure and this particular fight isn't near the lock I see on many events.Of course I make about 500 picks a week but still,this is a winnable fight for Diaz,I certainly wouldn't pick him to win but he can and I wouldn't be shocked if he did.

Stopped reading at silva got Ko'd twice. It was a knockdown, not that seeious.

Summing it up, you are biased and looking for subjective factors that are impossible to predict. Even if those were to happen, the gap between skill, reflexes and power is too big.

Anderson could be 50 and fight Nick after a barbecue, he would still beat him easily.

Edit: I gave you an honest response, but you did not deserve it for being a lunatic troll. The flash KO part was hilarious. You should tell the world that Knockdowns are also Flash KO`s, I for one did not know that.

It's a no win outcome for Silva

When he beats Diaz, who cares?? he is expected to crush him

It really is but it shows where he's at in his career. He just wants interesting fights where he can showcase some crazy moves and not be taken down. Diaz wants big paydays so it makes perfect sense.

I think it's pretty obvious Silva knows he's done as a top fighter. He'll fight for a belt if things fall into place but I don't think he cares about it and just wants to fight cool fights.

In regards to the fight itself who the hell knows what we are going to get. There is pretty much no outcome to this fight that would surprise me.

Back