Silva v Diaz - Is this a bad match up?

sgtpepper

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Is this a bad match up, especially since Nick Diaz is a welterweight and Silva is someone who has fought at light heavyweight.

Technically there's only an inch height difference and an 1.5 inch reach difference but doesn't Silva weigh a lot more than Diaz?

And why the hell were they matched up in the first place? It seems somewhat random, should Silva be fighting a competitor who's always been fighting in the middleweight division?

Is this a bad match up, especially since Nick Diaz is a welterweight and Silva is someone who has fought at light heavyweight.

Technically there's only an inch height difference and an 1.5 inch reach difference but doesn't Silva weigh a lot more than Diaz?

And why the hell were they matched up in the first place? It seems somewhat random, should Silva be fighting a competitor who's always been fighting in the middleweight division?

Diaz asked for the fight ... he is a big name ... and we honestly don't know where Anderson Silva is at this point in his career.

He is 39 years old coming off a major injury and his chin and reaction time seems to have degraded a ton starting with the Bonnar fight (Bonnar is slow yet he tagged Silva CLEAN a couple of times) to the Weidman fights.

Silva might ... be done.

Diaz might upset him.

Yeah it is a bit of a mismatch. I just hope Diaz doesn't end up killing him out there.

This is a showcase fight for Anderson. 2 big names and Nick's style matches up perfectly for Anderson. This is meant to show that 'the Spider is back and better than evar'

It's a no win outcome for Silva

When he beats Diaz, who cares?? he is expected to crush him

Honestly, the only way I see Silva losing this fight is because of age (doubt he's any close to being as physically strong or fast as he was a few years ago) and the chance of him having a broken mentality.

it's a great match... very winnable for anderson which he needs on a comeback like he has, but with a very well recognised name and talent... diaz will be in his face and do whatever he can to win the fight even if it is in a quickly losing effort... it's very exciting imo

When Silva is in great shape he's usually about 190-192 a few weeks before the fight.His body type can put on weight and drop it like nothing,some people are just like that.If he's in great shape then he should be entering the cage at about the same weight as Nick maybe 5 pounds more.I honestly question if Silva will be in that championship condition,I really don't think so and he'll probably be carrying extra weight from the long layoff and devastating injury.I honestly could care less about the weight,the heavier silva is the better for Diaz imo and if Silva's in awesome shape they will be about the same.

For some reason people think Silva cuts some crazy amount just cause he can get 210-220 between fights but he's not cutting that weight it's falling off as he get's in shape.It's useless weight especially cause Diaz isn't going to try and wrestle him.The weight itself isn't much of a factor,the fact that Silva is used to fighting bigger stronger guys is a factor and Diaz is used to fighting shorter guys in general so the weight class thing is a big difference I just don't think the weight itself means much.I'm not sure why saying well Silva has fought at LHW means anything,Diaz has fought at MW...If it's a mismatch I think we all know why and it's not going to be that 7 pounds he has on Nick.

Not sure why anyone would question this fluff piece fight,it's pretty obvious why it's being made and everyone excited for it so we all win,and it's not like Nick can't win.

It is a fight for fight fans who have followed MMA for a long time.

Some smaller fighters did great against Silva (Chonan, Takase) even if the era was a little different.

Silva is 39, hasn't had a meaningful win at middleweight since Chael fell doing "spinning shit", and even then Chael is something like 0-4 in title fights, right? (Loss to Filho, Loss to Silva, Loss to Silva, Loss to Jones?)

And if Anderson kills him, good for Anderson.
But if Nick wins, it is huge for his career.

When Anderson was Nick's age he was contemplating retirement, let alone fighting in the UFC.

IF Silva is 100% and still has his reflexes and chin ... I would expect an absolute 1 sided destruction but people need to understand that even Stephen Bonnar was tagging Silva.

Silva's reaction time is gone and once a striker like Silva loses his speed, he will never be the same guy anymore.

Now add to the fact that his chin is clearly not the same anymore as well ... this could end up being an upset.

Bad matchup in my opinion.

Its a lose/lose situation for me as a huge fan of both fighters.

Nick has nothing to offer Anderson. The only way he beats Anderson is if Anderson is extremely rusty and cautious because of his leg and that would me sad.

Or if Anderson fights like he did before the injury he will simply destroy Nick and we may see Nick get knocked out for the first time. And that would make me sad.

This is a showcase fight for Anderson. 2 big names and Nick's style matches up perfectly for Anderson. This is meant to show that 'the Spider is back and better than evar'

i agree. diaz has a chin and always presses forward, anderson is one of the best counter strikers ever. as a fan of both fighters it will be hard to watch, but still expecting an amazing event.

The only way it would be good is double taunting. Won't happen because Diaz stated publicly that he respected Silva and Silva probably remembered what happened last time he clowned.

Either way, I think Silva's age will play more of a factor than anything else... even more so than his surgery.

Silva seemed invincible for so long that we forgot he was getting older.

If Nick looks as bad as his brother against Dos Anjos, then they might as well give Silva the win now.

win-win for diaz and lose-lose for anderson.

anderson needs to KO him in spectacular fashion and then sail off into the sunset.

his clowning around in the first fight against weidman has been the catalyst for the ending of his career.

Bad matchup in my opinion.

Its a lose/lose situation for me as a huge fan of both fighters.

Nick has nothing to offer Anderson. The only way he beats Anderson is if Anderson is extremely rusty and cautious because of his leg and that would me sad.

Or if Anderson fights like he did before the injury he will simply destroy Nick and we may see Nick get knocked out for the first time. And that would make me sad.

Nick has been Koed twice before

Back