Silva got subbed by Japanese cans in his prime twice

Oh, this thread. How original.

439.gif

About as original as a GSP tapped to strikes thread. I’d card this shit under the flaming, or trolling rule, if I was a mod.

But, yes, it did happen.

a diferent era of the sport had adesanya competed and trained mma in that era he d likely be 0 - 10 against japanese cans too

Kind of off topic but I think Silva fans should like Adesanya. If a fighter is similar to your favorite fighter of all time, wouldn't you enjoy him as champion?

It's the same reason why a lot of Khabib fans like Islam Makhachev
No because Izzy is a threat to Silva's status so he gets shit on by the very insecure fanbase.

Shhhhh people don’t like when you bring these losses up around here

Kind of off topic but I think Silva fans should like Adesanya. If a fighter is similar to your favorite fighter of all time, wouldn't you enjoy him as champion?

It's the same reason why a lot of Khabib fans like Islam Makhachev
Izzy is a poor mans silva. He’s nowhere near as dynamic as Anderson was when he was the UFC champion.

Ryo Chonan had beaten Carlos Newton and Hayato Sakurai previously to beating Silva, and during that fight, Chonan was getting pretty beaten up and did that miraculous flying ankle pick as a "hail mary"

You think Chonan was a can? Lol.

FOH.

I'm not feeding what's under the bridge here.

A can has always meant someone who wasn't really good enough to be a professional fighter. It says pretty much all you need to know about Sherdog that there are people on it who think that fighters with winning records (for instance Chonan when Anderson fought him) weren't good enough to be a professional fighter.

Ryo Chonan had beaten Carlos Newton and Hayato Sakurai previously to beating Silva, and during that fight, Chonan was getting pretty beaten up and did that miraculous flying ankle pick as a "hail mary"

Actually the fight was pretty even until the submission -- watch it again. Even Bas said that in his commentary. Chonan was a lot better at the time than people give him credit for. That of course is the norm for Sherdog. Did you know Babe Ruth only hit 6 homeruns and batted .188 in his last season of baseball? If baseball fans were like MMA fans, they'd say that proved he was never any good.

In 7 years, and 10 title defenses (11 if you want to count Lutter's)... Silva had 2 decisions.

In less than 2 years and 3 title defenses... Adesanya has had 2 decisions.

At least when Silva showboated or acted cocky inside the octagon, we very often got highlight reel finishes and something to impress the fans. Outside of the ring, Silva was almost always classy. Two things Adesanya is clearly second best at.

Back