Silva beat up on LHWs - why do people not take this into consideration ?

People have pretty much given up on Silva as GOAT (and perhaps he isn't compared to Jones). But as far as MWs go, do you see Luke beating today's LHW equivalent to Griffen/Bonnar ?

One of the things about Silva was that he toyed around with the guys he destroyed. It didn't even seem like a challenge and more a chance to exhibit his skills. Can the same be said for Luke ? He's a beast, but he's fought tough fights.

Luke wouldn't as quickly or easily beat the likes of OSP or even Bader - if at all he could.

The GOAT title does get thrown around, and I admit it's pretty much impossible to value with confidence. But in recognition only, I think Anderson Silva deserves a lot more credit around here.
Luke lost to the same TRT Vitor that Silva ko'd

Vitor Belfort - Fought for the LHW title
Chael Sonnen - Fought for the LHW title
Forrest Griffin - Was a LHW champion

He fought and beat 3 guys that fought for the LHW title. Call it what you will, but he did.
Aardvarkatopian.

That was Forrest's best performance ever and he still only should have won 2 rounds out of 5. (Rounds 2 and 5) Rampage won rounds 1,3, and 4.

Forrest exceeding expectations and Round 2 clouded many people's view of that fight

Do not get me wrong, Rampage is far and away my favorite fighter of all time. The reason I started watching. At the very least it was Draw, Rampage should've won though.

Do not get me wrong, Rampage is far and away my favorite fighter of all time. The reason I started watching. At the very least it was Draw, Rampage should've won though.

Rampage had a tendency to be inconsistent. The Lindland, Ninja, and Forrest fights were great examples of this.

I agree, Rampage should have kept the belt though. rampage won rounds 1, 3, and 5. At worst for him it was a draw against Forrest if you give Forrest a 10-8 round 2

Maybe I'll have to rewatch the Rampage/Forrest fight but I remember Rampage not being able to pull anything off like he just froze and didn't even know what a leg kick is. We now know how one dimensional Rampage is today but he was far more effective then.

The bonnar fight was on 28 days notice to save a card.
28 days isn't enough time to prepare for a retired, slow, decision fighter like Bonnar? I'm not going to pretend that Bonnar was some world crusher just to pad Andy's record. It was a shit fight and Bonnar isn't even close to top 10. It was nice that Andy took the fight to keep the event on, but he took it because it was an easy fight for him.

His fights against Maia and Leities were some of the biggest displays of bullshit. If you guys want to forget about that shit then that's up to you.

That Rampage fight was an atrocity. .

I disagree i thought it was a great war of attrition. No one thoguht forrest could win but he somehow found the EXACT way to win the fight. He must have trained very hard on that.

28 days isn't enough time to prepare for a retired, slow, decision fighter like Bonnar? .

gimme a break,hardly anyone is willing to fight people on that notice,especially someone on a long undefeated streak like anderson. he didnt have to fight bonnar at all,and we woulda been robbed of that SWEET trip/knee to the sternum combo that i personally,love. He didnt need to fight a guy in the top 10 on short notice,or anyone at ALL. He did just for the golly heck of it,and dammit thats COOL.it wasnt shitty,it was fun to watch. When i get home from work i will watch it again. on UFC FIGHT PASS.

For 9.99

I guess I'm naive and delusional then. I think 90% of the top 15 are clean and I don't see any reason not to think that. I'm not a "hater" and I definitely understand people giving him shit. He used to claim fighters like Maia were being "disrespectful" to him, and I think cheating is one of the most disrespectful things you can do.

Well said. I loved watching Silva in his prime. The thing about the whole getting caught cheating was one thing, but that defence he gave in front of the Commission was ridiculous and he didn't make much of an effort it seemed to clear or defend himself. That story was amazingly bad.

The funny thing as well being the hatred lumped on Weidman for beating him despite the fact Silva was messing about in the first fight and then the second fight just being a result of circumstances in the fight.

He yelps a lot about respect, but he has his own questionable habit of showing disrespect to opponents in the past. He's not as bad as Pastor Belfort, but hypocrite comes to mind when he talks about respect.

The maia and leites fights sucked,but the bonnar fight was awesome.

He yelps a lot about respect, but he has his own questionable habit of showing disrespect to opponents in the past. He's not as bad as Pastor Belfort, but hypocrite comes to mind when he talks about respect.

that fake humility is one of the things i dont like about anderson. Its really hilarious how some butthurt silva fans were angry at serra for celebrating in the 2nd fight,like you wouldnt have been caught up in that moment too? Also for a guy who spend alot of his career trying to humiliate his opponents,his fans dont like it whenever someone says anything about him.

People have pretty much given up on Silva as GOAT (and perhaps he isn't compared to Jones). But as far as MWs go, do you see Luke beating today's LHW equivalent to Griffen/Bonnar ?

One of the things about Silva was that he toyed around with the guys he destroyed. It didn't even seem like a challenge and more a chance to exhibit his skills. Can the same be said for Luke ? He's a beast, but he's fought tough fights.

Luke wouldn't as quickly or easily beat the likes of OSP or even Bader - if at all he could.

The GOAT title does get thrown around, and I admit it's pretty much impossible to value with confidence. But in recognition only, I think Anderson Silva deserves a lot more credit around here.

Anderson beat a mediocre fighter in Irvin, plus he beat 2 of the most unathletic LHWs around in Griffin and Bonnar. And he barely beat a WW while juicing. He had no interest in fighting the LHW fight that would have cemented him as GoAT when he kept claiming that him and Jones were "good friends". I do say this all with a grain of salt, however. I do believe that Anderson deserves a place in the GoAT discussion.

And why exactly don't you think Rockhold would have a chance against Bader or OSP? Weidman beat Bader in college wrestling despite being smaller. And OSP is far from a complete fighter.

The maia and leites fights sucked,but the bonnar fight was awesome.

I didn't know till a while back that Griffin had suffered a concussion two weeks out from their fight - although I'd think Griffin had many before that he didn't know about.

Anderson beat a mediocre fighter in Irvin, plus he beat 2 of the most unathletic LHWs around in Griffin and Bonnar. And he barely beat a WW while juicing.

you sound poor.

I didn't know till a while back that Griffin had suffered a concussion two weeks out from their fight - although I'd think Griffin had many before that he didn't know about.
i allways thought that forrest was more sluggish than usual in that one, Xanax and concussions will do that for ya. Still...i dont take nothing away from the crazy shit anderson pulled in that fight.

Maybe I'll have to rewatch the Rampage/Forrest fight but I remember Rampage not being able to pull anything off like he just froze and didn't even know what a leg kick is. We now know how one dimensional Rampage is today but he was far more effective then.

28 days isn't enough time to prepare for a retired, slow, decision fighter like Bonnar? I'm not going to pretend that Bonnar was some world crusher just to pad Andy's record. It was a shit fight and Bonnar isn't even close to top 10. It was nice that Andy took the fight to keep the event on, but he took it because it was an easy fight for him.

His fights against Maia and Leities were some of the biggest displays of bullshit. If you guys want to forget about that shit then that's up to you.
When did I say it wasn't enough to time to prepare? I'm just saying take it for what it was. Anderson didn't even have a fight scheduled but he stepped up at a higher weight class on short notice to save a card. Its not like he specifically picked out bonnar bc he wanted to fight him & then he trained for 3 months & they marketed it like any other ppv. It was short notice just to be a bro to the ufc & the Brazilian fans.

I take this into consideration, but there is no use of comparing two different periods of time. Training and conditioning have evolved since then. The fact is that Anderson beat the shit out of three LHW and two huge ones as Forrest and Bonnar. It is something we just can't deny

Problem here. Spider is taller than Randy Couture and has nearly a 3" reach advantage over the multiple time LHW & HW UFC champion. Bigger, WTF?

Neither were really all that much "bigger" than Anderson. He is a big dude himself.

You act as though you are "impressed" with size difference, let Anderson take on Werdum, and it still won't be near on par with the size advantage Couture gave away to Big Tim or Gabriel Gonzaga in HW championship fights. Not even close!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back