Silva beat up on LHWs - why do people not take this into consideration ?

Coffee79

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
People have pretty much given up on Silva as GOAT (and perhaps he isn't compared to Jones). But as far as MWs go, do you see Luke beating today's LHW equivalent to Griffen/Bonnar ?

One of the things about Silva was that he toyed around with the guys he destroyed. It didn't even seem like a challenge and more a chance to exhibit his skills. Can the same be said for Luke ? He's a beast, but he's fought tough fights.

Luke wouldn't as quickly or easily beat the likes of OSP or even Bader - if at all he could.

The GOAT title does get thrown around, and I admit it's pretty much impossible to value with confidence. But in recognition only, I think Anderson Silva deserves a lot more credit around here.

Which "people" don't take "this" into consideration?

Nobody mentions Randy Couture as GOAT, and he not only beat LHW's & HW's, he beat the champions in both divisions, and still holds the UFC HW division title defense record.

Silva lost a lot of credit after the PED scandal, and rightly so. You bring up a good point about Rockhold vs. top 10 LHW's though. I think it would be very interesting to see Rockhold against someone like OSP. I think he has the skills to at least beat Rashad and Shogun.

Who cares what people think,it was awesome if you were actually watching it as it happened. He didnt have to do it.

I take this into consideration, but there is no use of comparing two different periods of time. Training and conditioning have evolved since then. The fact is that Anderson beat the shit out of three LHW and two huge ones as Forrest and Bonnar. It is something we just can't deny

It's his main selling point when putting him ahead of the other GOAT candidates. That and his movie style wins.

Not only that, he started his career out as a WW where he beat former #1 p4p fighter Hyato Sakurai

That said, I think Rockhold or even Weidman/Jacare/Romero would easily wipe the floor with the modern day Bonnars and Irvins of 205. I mean over the hill guys like Shogun and Rashad are still technically "top 10 UFC fighters" at 205

At these higher weight classes there's a much bigger difference between championship level guys and the rest of the pack

People always bring up the fact that Griffin was a former champ at LHW, but they always neglect to mention that Griffin was an extremely easy style match-up for Anderson lol. Having a belt around his waist doesn't change that. Cause, y'know, clearly one of the best counterpunchers in MMA history is in for a stiff test against a soft-hitting dude who just comes forward alternating punches, throwing in the occasional rear leg low kick to the outside thigh, and hoping for the best. His other 2 wins at 205 are Irvin and Bonnar, who aren't the worst LHWs he could have fought, but they're hardly the best, either.

OT, I'd say Rockhold could easily beat LHWs like Shogun, Jimi Manuwa or Feijao. I could see him beating Bader with relative ease if he was able to stop (or otherwise counter, perhaps via guillotine) Bader's takedowns.

Silva lost a lot of credit after the PED scandal, and rightly so. You bring up a good point about Rockhold vs. top 10 LHW's though. I think it would be very interesting to see Rockhold against someone like OSP. I think he has the skills to at least beat Rashad and Shogun.
I don't think silva lost any credit because of the peds. It just gave the haters more to talk about. That's just me though. All these guys are clearly using something, who cares if silva used a ton of shit for his leg?

Nobody mentions Randy Couture as GOAT, and he not only beat LHW's & HW's, he beat the champions in both divisions, and still holds the UFC HW division title defense record.
Randy deserves massive respect. But he prob never gets mentioned as the GOAT bc of his double digit losses.

No he didn't.. the only people who give him a ton of shit about it were his haters anyway. Let's be honest most of these athletes are/were on something. Anyone who uses the "he's never been caught" excuse is either extremely naive or delusional.

There's been way too many dad bods showing up to these events ever since the new drug policy roll out.

I do agree with you, Rockhold will be able to hang with some of the talent at 205. I wouldn't be impressed if he beat Suga and Shogun at this point though. But, he has a good chance to beat the guys from the 4th seed on.

I don't think silva lost any credit because of the peds. It just gave the haters more to talk about. That's just me though. All these guys are clearly using something, who cares if silva used a ton of shit for his leg?
I disagree that all fighters are using PED's and anyway we have nothing to support that claim. Anderson's entire career is in question when he gets caught using PED's and that definitely harms an argument for him being the GOAT.

The GOAT discussion rightly gets sidetracked by the PEDs discussion.

185 to 205? That's only a 20 lb difference! Real GOATs move up TEN whole pounds to their natural weight class!

You must have Sakuraba as P4P GOAT then since he was a 170lber fighting LHWs and HWs.

Anderson fought nobodies at 205.

You know what my favorite part of MMA is?

That you fucks cant (even though you try really really really hard) tell me who I can consider great or not.

Silva was fucking amazing to watch. If someone doesn't like him or wants to shit on him, that's their problem.

People always bring up the fact that Griffin was a former champ at LHW, but they always neglect to mention that Griffin was an extremely easy style match-up for Anderson lol. Having a belt around his waist doesn't change that. Cause, y'know, clearly one of the best counterpunchers in MMA history is in for a stiff test against a soft-hitting dude who just comes forward alternating punches, throwing in the occasional rear leg low kick to the outside thigh, and hoping for the best. His other 2 wins at 205 are Irvin and Bonnar, who aren't the worst LHWs he could have fought, but they're hardly the best, either.

OT, I'd say Rockhold could easily beat LHWs like Shogun, Jimi Manuwa or Feijao. I could see him beating Bader with relative ease if he was able to stop (or otherwise counter, perhaps via guillotine) Bader's takedowns.
People don't neglect to mention that. Anytime someone brings that win up someone counters with the point you said. The truth is that both sides have merit. In hind sight it was a pretty good style match up, but it's still impressive as fuck that he toyed with a former champ like that & before the fight there were plenty of people on these very forums that thought with his size & toughness Forrest would put up a hell of a fight. It wasn't a squash match like some of the captain hindsight posters try to pretend here.

Back