Sight Training?

Deano

White Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee mentions quick seeing in his book and Masato was mentioned to have taken some sight training which enhanced his ability to see Zambidis punches.

Usually you hear sight in reference to sports such as baseball and golf, is there much information on sight training for martial arts?

Improved sight = improved reaction time?

Some of the devices I see still are the speed bag and the double ended ball and some contraptions with balls on a ring, funky looking bats, which seem outdated.

Are there any new interpretations of vision speed training equipment?

Or is just plain old sparring the best method still?

Speed bag, that bag that's tied via bungee cord to the ceiling and the floor (slip bag?), boxing glove tied to the end of a stick (your trainer jabs at you with it from far away), sparring, focus mits, sparring, video games like "lethal enforcer, arcade", sparring and oh yeah, sparring.

Good points...also there are blind spots for blows approaching from your backside and when you cover up on the inside...and your ability to see well diminishes with fear?

Sometimes my instructor would throw kicks that were seen only when they had approached being near my head where I could put my hand up just fast enough to get a partial block on it, and on the inside he'd hit me with punches and kicks that I wouldn't see...

Deano said:
Good points...also there are blind spots for blows approaching from your backside and when you cover up on the inside...and your ability to see well diminishes with fear?
Some people have a true blind-spot on their eye, but this pretty rare. Fear can be a pwerful thing in a fight, some people close their eyes when they think they're about to get hit, this garuntees they will be hit, reinforcing their fear-based reaction. Keep your eyes open, even while getting hit, it won't hurt any worse than with the eyes closed and it allows you to avoid the majority of the blows.

Back