sigh.... big toe injury

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Soul_of_Rage, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Soul_of_Rage

Soul_of_Rage Green Belt

During regionals in february, i hurt my big toe taking a shot. im guessing i bent it to far back but it hurt me for about 2 months. I kept training on it and just avoided the things that made it hurt alot. When wrestling started back up i tried to practice but the pain was excruciating always when i took a shot and put all my pressure on my big toe. I decided to get it checked out and i had a severe bone contusion and alot of excess fluid in my big toe.

Doc told me to take 4 weeks off which i did. I came back and tried wrestling again and it swole right back up and hurt terribly everytime i put all my weight on it.

Went back Told me to take Another 4 weeks. I did that and still the same pain came back. Got an MRI and a catscan, and an xray that showed pretty much nothing except bruising.

Referred me to a new doctor said its probably turfs toe. New Doc gave me a cortizone shot and told me to try going back to doing wrestling. Didn't feel pain that whole practice but next day it hurt even more and was swollen.

Told me to take another 4 weeks off which i just got done doing (had a cast instead of the boot thing this time used crutches) Took the cast off and it felt alright i guess. When i got home and started walking around IT hurt even more.... before just walking never hurt it, it was only when i put all my weight and flexed it back. UGH im so pissed. MRIs Catscans and xrays are showing that theirs no more problem in my toe but it hurts even more....

i have took so much time off and it sucks :(

2. BigStaff

BigStaff Purple Belt

3. Soul_of_Rage

Soul_of_Rage Green Belt

Man iv rested it for so long. The doctor said the xrays and catscans showed that its good and their was a slight abnormality but it showed that it healed or something.

So i guess im just going to go threw the pain and see if it gets worse. Maybe it because i haven't used it in about 3 months really? maybe it just hurts because its getting used to the pressure again? i dont know but it hurts like a son of a bitch

They said their only option left is to do surgery and look around in my toe to see if they can find the problem.

Before the cast it never hurt when i walked, just when i flexed it hard like when taking a shot or something.

Now after i rested 3 more weeks with the cast it hurts when i walk normally.

4. BJJ 619***

BJJ 619*** White Belt

Sounds to me like your 2 choices are the surgery, or to find a new hobby.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

5. Linzy

Linzy Orange Belt

I twisted the ligaments that make my big toe lift up on 5/31/2008. It's essentially the opposite of turf toe, but my toe is still not 100% over 2 years later. I had the x-rays and the MRI, and didn't need surgery, and after my first 4 weeks off (the doctor recommended more, but I was impatient), I bought wrestling shoes and went back to training. I went back too soon, and I still wear the wrestling shoes from time to time, when we're doing a lot of wrestling shots or if I've had to dress up for work and wear heels or something.

Toe injuries are total crap, and they take forever to heal, mostly because it's nearly impossible to stay off of them and let them heal.

6. mowrown

mowrown Yellow Belt

My sympathies. In November 2009 I got my big toe snagged in my partner's gi pants and felt a pop. Taped it up, but had pain and weakness, and the occasional dislocation. Turns out I had snapped (100% tear) of the hallux lateral collateral ligament, and had essentially a hallux varus. Had surgery this past April and I'm still doing PT for it with range of motion problems. Thankfully I'm back to training, but being sidelined by a toe of all things sucks!

7. koolinkunming

koolinkunming Silver Belt

I've had a big toe injury (fracture) that's kept me out for over a month as well. At first I tried to train through it, but there were too many positions that made it impossible to train effectively (for judo, bjj I could manage ok). Sucks to be out.

8. Bebop

Bebop Brown Belt

REHAB. i hope you're rehabilitating your toe after it heals up and before heading back onto the mats.

9. Soul_of_Rage

Soul_of_Rage Green Belt

What would be some good rehab movements i could do for my toe?

10. Bostonkrav

Bostonkrav Blue Belt

Big Toe injuries are no joke, in BJJ I have torn my ULC (elbow) and on a separate occasion tore the MCL (Knee) both of those injuries are not much of a bother today.

The one injury I have that really nags at me is my right big toe which I hurt tripping on a rock during vacation. I hurt it 8 years ago, didn't get it looked at until 2 years after the fact and the thing a major bother.

My Dr says the toe is now arthritic and there is nothing really they can do. It really effect's my ability to shoot, and I can't really bend the toe back for leverage when attacking on the ground.

Long story short give it A LOT of rest and make sure you take care of it or this injury could be with you for life, and it sucks!

11. s.c.

s.c. White Belt

I've got capsulitis (turf toe) of the second toe. One of the worst things about it is trying to explain why I sit out during the warmup (running, lunges, burpees, etc.) to people who have never felt it before.

12. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

Is there any kind of brace/guard/taping combination you can come up with to give it support?
    You should try. I've seen guys get pretty creative with tape wrapping. Even if it takes hours of experimenting it would be worth it if you can find something that takes away the pain.

13. Soul_of_Rage

Soul_of_Rage Green Belt

Sweet found this rehab list + alot of good info on turf toe and preventing it!

Turf Toe | Sports Injuries Cape Town

Going to try this rehab and if this doesn't work i'll see about surgery. Thanks everyone!

14. Thrawn33

Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

I hear you. I broke my baby toe and it was off the Judo mat for 2 weeks. Funny how one of the smallest bones in your body can hurt so damn much when you put all that weight on and pivot....