Side Lunge

Monger

Chronically Injured
Reaction score
Hi guys. A while ago I posted a question regarding my girlfriend

I used to do them, and I liked them.

As for being a good assistance for squats, sure, just like any type of lunge, only lateral lunges will hit the adductors more and require more flexibility.

One issue is balancing the bar while moving laterally. I used 50kg, and it wasn't always easy to keep the bar from swinging.

I've never had good carryover from unilateral movements to squats. Never, not once. I still think if you want her to squat with better form, make her squat more with better form. Her hips will catch up.

Urban is correct, her hips will catch up, they have no choice.

Urban said:
I've never had good carryover from unilateral movements to squats. Never, not once. I still think if you want her to squat with better form, make her squat more with better form. Her hips will catch up.

Already did, Urban, thanks. We just went last night and I had her lighten the load and increased her reps to 15-20. Her left knee still looked a bit shaky but it was an improvement. She felt better doing them as well. I'll have her continue high reps until the form is perfect and then slowly lower the reps.

The side lunge bit came up as I was searching for some hip assistance work. I tried them for the first time myself last night. I just couldn't get a feeling on how much of a crossover they'd have to Athleticism and specifically squats.

Back