Side effects of Standup

Im not scared of brain damage but i dont like getting my face busted up, i am vain.

I've never gonna be a pro, i'm just a serious recreational combat athlete so no point getting killed

standup probably isn't for you then because it kinda comes with the territory.

As already mentioned the judge is still out on this one, but I remember seeing a boxing documentary and how the coaches, fighters and cornermen were all pretty of one opinion:

It's in the 12/15-round wars when your body quit on you 4 rounds ago and you are fighting on grit alone that you get the brain damage.

It's the stuff that'll make you a champion, but as they said, your body is so dehydrated from the effort that the sips of water in between rounds is not nearly enough.
And as the fluids in your brain are starting to dry up the impacts will do a lot more damage.

A lot of them actually agreed on how fighter X got damaged in fight Y, rounds Z-Q.

Unscientific perhaps, but makes some kind of sense. Maybe King Kabuki can chime in on some of this.

You are going to get hit in the face. Shit happens. You'll feel better when you punch the other guy in the face. It makes it all worth it.

i almost fell of my chair...

hope you don't mind me using this in my sig :D

cheers

As already mentioned the judge is still out on this one, but I remember seeing a boxing documentary and how the coaches, fighters and cornermen were all pretty of one opinion:

It's in the 12/15-round wars when your body quit on you 4 rounds ago and you are fighting on grit alone that you get the brain damage.

It's the stuff that'll make you a champion, but as they said, your body is so dehydrated from the effort that the sips of water in between rounds is not nearly enough.
And as the fluids in your brain are starting to dry up the impacts will do a lot more damage.

A lot of them actually agreed on how fighter X got damaged in fight Y, rounds Z-Q.

Unscientific perhaps, but makes some kind of sense. Maybe King Kabuki can chime in on some of this.

This is what I'm hoping. Supposedly boxing deaths went down a lot when they introduced the 12 round limit.

I agree that getting punched in the nose fucks up the rest of your day, but still, it's freaking fun to get in shape, relieve stress, and learn how to fight.

getting punched in the face hard sucks

I dunno, I kinda like it. Gets me in the zone. :icon_chee

No, but seriously, I don't stand there like a moron with my chin out but whenever I catch a shot to the head, I start feeling more alive. It must be the primal instincts awakening, after living in this modern pampered world we are in.

That being said, what you really have to worry about is the nose injuries. Also cuts. In the real world of white collar work, it's hard to explain to uptight co-workers, bosses and/or clients why you have a black eye. I get black eyes from nothing, sometimes there is zero pain, it's just the type of skin. Many Eastern Europeans cut & bruise easy.

As for brain damage, I don't care what anyone says but every time you get hit, you take some damage. The real brain damage comes from accumulation not severity of the knock-out. I've met pro boxers who have been knocked out maybe a few times, but already have pauses in their speech. They don't care about accumulating punches to the head.

At some point you have to realize that these are COMBAT sports. There is wear & tear, there is damage and there is risk. If your training partners like to get into wars during practice, find new training partners. Unless you are getting paid, there is little sense in taking that damage. It's fun and I know it's fun, but the days & weeks after an injury (like a cracked rib for me) you will regret it.

Back