Side effects of Standup

standupfighter

White Belt
Reaction score
Well I have been training for a little over a year and Before I started up I knew what could happen from training. I have a fear of having a fighters nose and brain damage. Everytime this is brought up, I immediatly get responses back like "if you dont want that happening then quit". I Don't want to quit but for some reason the fear of both of those things never left me. I was sparring the other day and I was outworking my sparring partner the first 2 rounds, the 3rd round he came out throwing bombs and I got caught with a couple of rights directly to my nose. I have been hit hard lots of times but, for some reason for the rest of the round I lost hope and just barly punched back. My nose started gushing out blood and I felt embarassed in front of the whole gym. I came home with the war stains and my mom flipped out. The kid I was sparring was 6"1 and im about 5"8. My nose is not broken but it seems just a little bit swollen. I am shocked and really disapointed in myself about letting this happen to me. Any comments on this weird fear or anything you guys would like to throw out there go ahead.Anyway what are some side effects some of you guys have noticed since starting up?

uh...
you're asking if giving up because you get punched in the face is normal?

keep working your techniques and you'll have less to worry about in the damage department.

I find my side effects to be frequent light sparring sessions with doors, the refrigerator, curtains, my bedpost, etc... As well as shadowboxing when moving from room to room in my house.

How old are you? Yeah, you'll get hurt sometimes, but I don't think brain damage is likely unless you are either sparring hard all the time or fighting pro.

Right now I'm sporting a ridiculously sore jaw from getting hit with my jaw relaxed. OW

How old are you? Yeah, you'll get hurt sometimes, but I don't think brain damage is likely unless you are either sparring hard all the time or fighting pro.

Right now I'm sporting a ridiculously sore jaw from getting hit with my jaw relaxed. OW
im 17

I've been clocked pretty hard in sparring, and while I wasn't KO'd or dizzy, its definetley something that makes me think if I'm gonna end up talking Golota when I'm older. I've also hit people hard enough that they don't wanna show up anymore, and I honestly felt really bad about that.

At the same time it just feels wrong to go too light because it doesn't feel quite as productive to me. It feels good to take a solid shot and still be standing there ready to hit someone just as hard right back. But at the same time I would never want to seriously injure anyone and I wanna be able to think straight when I'm 45+.

i dont think brain damage happens too often unless you fight all the time. Or you can just fight under limited head contact rules.

Brain damage occurs from knockouts, flash or otherwise. When the brain is repeatedly bouncing off the skull and being bruised, then you have worries. This usually doesn't happen with day to day sparring as you generally aren't trying to knock your partner's head off.

Brain damage occurs from knockouts, flash or otherwise. When the brain is repeatedly bouncing off the skull and being bruised, then you have worries. This usually doesn't happen with day to day sparring as you generally aren't trying to knock your partner's head off.

So if you never get KO'd, you'd never get brain injury? I have taken some really hard shots to the temple and skull in general, but never the jaw. I would have a headache afterwards and this weird fuzzy feeling around my brain. If I ever get KO'd hard I imagine I would not spar for atleast a few months, but I'm worried that my brain is getting hurt from all the skull shots and I just keep on going, damaging my brain without knowing about it.

Goddamn I wish there was a solid study on this. I read that Amateur boxers show signs of brain injury right after their fights, even with no KO, but that within a few months its impossible to tell the amateur boxer from any other person who doesn't get hit in the head a lot.

How many times has Muhammad Ali been "rocked"? What about Freddie Roach?

Well I have been training for a little over a year and Before I started up I knew what could happen from training. I have a fear of having a fighters nose and brain damage. Everytime this is brought up, I immediatly get responses back like "if you dont want that happening then quit". I Don't want to quit but for some reason the fear of both of those things never left me. I was sparring the other day and I was outworking my sparring partner the first 2 rounds, the 3rd round he came out throwing bombs and I got caught with a couple of rights directly to my nose. I have been hit hard lots of times but, for some reason for the rest of the round I lost hope and just barly punched back. My nose started gushing out blood and I felt embarassed in front of the whole gym. I came home with the war stains and my mom flipped out. The kid I was sparring was 6"1 and im about 5"8. My nose is not broken but it seems just a little bit swollen. I am shocked and really disapointed in myself about letting this happen to me. Any comments on this weird fear or anything you guys would like to throw out there go ahead.Anyway what are some side effects some of you guys have noticed since starting up?

You are going to get hit in the face. Shit happens. You'll feel better when you punch the other guy in the face. It makes it all worth it.

You can switch to some TKD club that uses that full face head gear with a mask if it really bothers you. Or you can switch to a style that doesn't allow full contact sparring. There are lots of those...

Otherwise it should just motivate you to work on footwork, defense and head movement. Don't be embarrassed or disappointed. Everybody gets hit. The idea that you are always going to avoid getting hit in the face is unrealistic. Learning to take a punch is part of the deal. Hands up, chin down, learn to shoulder roll.

If you are wearing headgear and a mouthpiece and using decent gloves you can do a lot of hard sparring and not have much side effects. It takes years of heavy pounding to really cause the kinds of problems you are talking about.

You shouldn't be worrying about anything. If you want to be a fighter you need to be able to get hit, and react properly instead of going into survival mode. The biggest part about training is to never quit, you can always improve, and if your not occasionaly getting hit by solid punches, then when match time comes and you get rocked your fight or flight "or Starnes Reflex" will kick in. One of the best things that I was ever told by a coach is that pressure breaks pipes... Be the aggressive fighter, and if you do get hit hard, don't show hesitation to get back into the fight...:icon_twis

The worst problems i have with training 5-6 days a week is the little nagging injurys that dont seem to go away. sore shins, hurt toes and hips, things that arent bad enough to stop going, but hurt enough to piss me off when i clash that sore spot while sparing.

Id way rather get poped in the head then take a knee on knee or stuff like that :p

One thing ive noticed is that the more I spar the better my reflexes get, and I don't get hit as clean or hard. At the same time if ur sparring frequently u need to control the intensity otherwise you'll get hurt and lead to eventual brain damage. Leave your best in the ring not in the gym

Yea I train stand up 3 nights a week sparring those 3 and brain damage is a big concern on top of that I am vain and concerned about how my face looks, but for some reason I can't stop it's just where I need to be right now or some crazy shit idk.

Stick with it and keep your hands up.

When you sed side effects I instantly thought about what the 2nd/3rd guy who responded sed.
You'll find yourself just standing around anywhere and just be throwing punches at everything for no apparent reason.

unless you are training like a pro boxer getting into wars and hard sparring all the time I dont think you will get brain damage.

just because ali's brain went to mush doesnt mean every boxer's will.

getting punched in the face hard sucks and I would not recommend you continue to let it happen. Try improving your head movement, while I get punched in the face it is part of the sport but one punch will rarely land flush on me anymore unless I fuck up.

So if you never get KO'd, you'd never get brain injury? I have taken some really hard shots to the temple and skull in general, but never the jaw. I would have a headache afterwards and this weird fuzzy feeling around my brain. If I ever get KO'd hard I imagine I would not spar for atleast a few months, but I'm worried that my brain is getting hurt from all the skull shots and I just keep on going, damaging my brain without knowing about it.

Goddamn I wish there was a solid study on this. I read that Amateur boxers show signs of brain injury right after their fights, even with no KO, but that within a few months its impossible to tell the amateur boxer from any other person who doesn't get hit in the head a lot.

How many times has Muhammad Ali been "rocked"? What about Freddie Roach?

some ppl never trained anything b4 and get brain damage.

yes you can get headaches from being hit hard, but i dont know of much cases where something like that lead to permanent damage. Brain damage is rare outside of professional boxers who target the head too much and get too many fights in their career.

some ppl never trained anything b4 and get brain damage.

yes you can get headaches from being hit hard, but i dont know of much cases where something like that lead to permanent damage. Brain damage is rare outside of professional boxers who target the head too much and get too many fights in their career.

gay I wish brain damage didn't exist.

I looked into this ... there's not a lot of information out there, but what there is suggests that amateur boxers don't get measurable brain damage, while pros generally do. There's no clear way to tell how or why it happens, but the softer gloves and headgear seem to help.

Nose damage is pretty much unavoidable if you have a big nose and box. If headgear doesn't protect your nose, i.e. if your nose isn't really flat already, it's going to get flattened. All the head movement in the world isn't going to stop you from catching stiff jabs and the occasional cross. It's a statistical reality.

My old gym used to spar full contact .. frankly if I had to do it again, I would go with a lighter-sparring environment, like 50-60%. Easier on the nose and brain, less black eyes.

Back