Side Control: Knee trapping arm or leg posted out?

Falcyon

White Belt
Reaction score
So I've been thinking about developing more pressure for my side control. I've noticed some guys like Robson Moura like to keep the leg near the head posted out instead of trapping the arm against the head. I've also seen him keep his knees in tight also. I can see that if you keep it posted out, you'd keep more weight on the chest, but if you draw it in, you can potentially set-up a sub. How do I effectively use both?

Also, someone at my club told me that if you drive in diagonally into the side of the chest rather than perpendicularly, you generate more pressure and it's harder for them to turn on their side. He explained it's like pushing into a corner of a box, but everytime I try it, it feels like I'm not putting enough weight on them. How exactly do I push into this proverbial box?

How exactly do I push into this proverbial box?

A little foreplay usually helps, then if you still can't push into it, a little lube will do the trick.

I do that all the time and it creates a ton of pressure on the bottom guy's chin, therefore he can't turn into you.

Set up side control like you described. Lets say you're on top and the bottom guy's head is on your left. Put your left arm under his head and grab under his armpit (or clasp your hands together under his left armpit, or tightly grab his left lapel wrapped under his left armpit (with your left hand)). Your left leg should be out, dick in the dirt. Your right leg is tucked and your knee close to his hips, so he can't hook your right leg with his right leg. Now focus all your weight on three points: your left toes, your right knee and your left shoulder. Drive off your toes, push forward and squeeze your left arm, smashing your left shoulder into his chin and forcing him to look to his left. You can also grab his left hip with your right hand (I like to grab the V part at the sides of the pants) and drop your right forearm across his hips, immobilizing his hips. If you do all of the above, you'll put so much pressure on his chin that he'll make some mistake, or sometimes tap to the pressure.

Set up side control like you described. Lets say you're on top and the bottom guy's head is on your left. Put your left arm under his head and grab under his armpit (or clasp your hands together under his left armpit, or tightly grab his left lapel wrapped under his left armpit (with your left hand)). Your left leg should be out, dick in the dirt. Your right leg is tucked and your knee close to his hips, so he can't hook your right leg with his right leg. Now focus all your weight on three points: your left toes, your right knee and your left shoulder. Drive off your toes, push forward and squeeze your left arm, smashing your left shoulder into his chin and forcing him to look to his left. You can also grab his left hip with your right hand (I like to grab the V part at the sides of the pants) and drop your right forearm across his hips, immobilizing his hips. If you do all of the above, you'll put so much pressure on his chin that he'll make some mistake, or sometimes tap to the pressure.

Thanks ^

Back