Side Cage clinching should not be scored until something significant happens

TomTomNT

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
If 2 fighters are pressed up against the side of the cage, and both are throwing little footsie stomps and shoulder bumps, and nothing significant is being attempt like a takedown, a sub attempt, or even a significant strike, that entire portion of the round should be scored as a draw or should not be scored at all.

I dont see how that is more advantageous for the initiating fighter when he cant do anything because the moment he tries to throw a significant strike or go for a takedown he will lose the position....thats not a area that should be scored for either fighter unless one of those things i mentioned above happens.

Using example from last night Masvidal vs Usman

Usman had Masvidal pressed up the cage in the 2nd round for about 4 minutes...throwing nothing but shoulder bumps and foot stomps....after the clinch broke up, Masvidal threw like 5-10 strikes in a rapid fire burst before the round ended... that round should be scored for Masvidal.... nothing else significant happened....the clinch is not a dominant position the way that Usman was using it, im not talking about Mui Thai plums and judo throws, none of that was even attempted....if a fighter wants to stall against the cage because he is playing the point game, that should be much harder to do then it is now.

again, im not talking about wrestling, im not talking about bjj, im simply talking about the stalling position that Masvidal and Usman were in pressed up against the cage doing literally nothing, that needs to be separated a lot sooner and it should not count for almost any points if any at all as its not an advantageous position that generated any offense.

Last edited:
Along with takedowns that don't result in at least bettering your position, g-n-p, submission attempts; fighters, Volk, will spam a takedown and do nothing and be rewarded a close round or a round that would have gone to an opponent.

Wall -n- stall is the biggest bullshit ever.

Along with takedowns that don't result in at least bettering your position, g-n-p, submission attempts; fighters, Volk, will spam a takedown and do nothing and be rewarded a close round or a round that would have gone to an opponent.

Wall -n- stall is the biggest bullshit ever.
Yeah i didnt want to go that far cuz i know "change" scares people and all the kids start crying. But this wall and stall shit is getting out of control now. Fighters are trying to actually win fights by not fighting, its why we are starting to see the "kicking meta" where apparently every fighter has "lethal Aldo kicks", they are winning fights just from that alone.... Look at Izzy vs Romero... kicks won over punches...Same in Max vs Volk....

Usman is winning rounds from shoulder bumps and toe stomps.... like 1 hook that lands should even that round out....as it would be the most damage done and the most significant moment of that round....

The sport has been so stagnant for too long.. you look at NFL/MLB/NBA its always changing(sometimes for the worst) but not doing anything is just dumb...and these types of fights i dont think are good for the sport, i think it encourages more stalling over fighting... and it should be the other way around.

Yeah i didnt want to go that far cuz i know "change" scares people and all the kids start crying. But this wall and stall shit is getting out of control now. Fighters are trying to actually win fights by not fighting, its why we are starting to see the "kicking meta" where apparently every fighter has "lethal Aldo kicks", they are winning fights just from that alone.... Look at Izzy vs Romero... kicks won over punches...Same in Max vs Volk....

Usman is winning rounds from shoulder bumps and toe stomps.... like 1 hook that lands should even that round out....as it would be the most damage done and the most significant moment of that round....

The sport has been so stagnant for too long.. you look at NFL/MLB/NBA its always changing(sometimes for the worst) but not doing anything is just dumb...and these types of fights i dont think are good for the sport, i think it encourages more stalling over fighting... and it should be the other way around.
The only actual damage that usman did to Jorge were two Headbutts.

I mean I'm not gonna hate on usman - he did what he had to and took advantage of the rules but those rules suck and always have.

Foot stomps should be banned, and calf kicks should not be counted as significant strikes unless they wobble or drop someone.
then Volk would not win a single fight... Volk literally is the only fighter i know that throws his kicks like a weak jab just to score points... they dont even affect the fighters movements at all... he does not even turn his hip into it.. he just throws it out there to be like "look i have 300 strikes landed so i won the fight" even though he has 280 leg kicks vs his opponent who landed 150 head strikes....

Usman would have won that fight under any scoring criteria we’ve ever had in MMA. Now you guys want to invent a whole new set of rules in order the invent some alternate universe where Masvidal won that fight? Usman’s fights may be boring, but the ensuing butthurt is hilarious.

Agreed, it's anti fighting, and takedowns that result in no damage or submission attempts should be scored no higher that a jab.

I don't care about Masvidal, I care about the sport, I've been singing this tune for 15 years.

Usman would have won that fight under any scoring criteria we’ve ever had in MMA. Now you guys want to invent a whole new set of rules in order the invent some alternate universe where Masvidal won that fight? Usman’s fights may be boring, but the ensuing butthurt is hilarious.
way to miss the point. I don't think anyone thinks that masvidal should have rightfully won the fight, just that fighters should be discouraged, or (extreme) punished for fighting that style of fight. not that I exactly agree, but i think after how uninteresting that fight was I could see a lot of people not wanting to watch a fight like that. because before for all, this is entertainment. as ALL sports are.

then Volk would not win a single fight... Volk literally is the only fighter i know that throws his kicks like a weak jab just to score points... they dont even affect the fighters movements at all... he does not even turn his hip into it.. he just throws it out there to be like "look i have 300 strikes landed so i won the fight" even though he has 280 leg kicks vs his opponent who landed 150 head strikes....

I think any strikes to the feet/ankles/shins/knees should be illegal, meaning those low kicks better hit the calf muscle or you could lose a point. That would make someone think twice about spamming leg kicks to rack up points when you could lose a point for hitting the wrong part of the leg.

They should be separated after 30 seconds then restarted in the center of the cage.

Agreed. Shoulder bumps and foot stops shouldn't count as "staying active. If he's digging hooks and knees into his opponents gut, then okay, but after 30 seconds of leaning and foot stomps the ref should break them up

If 2 fights are pressed up against the side of the cage, and both are throwing little footsie stomps and shoulder bumps, and nothing significant is being attempt like a takedown, a sub attempt, or even a significant strike, that entire portion of the round should be scored as a draw or should not be scored at all.

I dont see how that is more advantageous for the initiating fighter when he cant do anything because the moment he tries to throw a significant strike or go for a takedown he will lose the position....thats not a area that should be scored for either fighter unless one of those things i mentioned above happens.

Using example from last night Masvidal vs Usman

Usman had Masvidal pressed up the cage in the 2nd round for about 4 minutes...throwing nothing but shoulder bumps and foot stomps....after the clinch broke up, Masvidal threw like 5-10 strikes in a rapid fire burst before the round ended... that round should be scored for Masvidal.... nothing else significant happened....the clinch is not a dominant position the way that Usman was using it, im not talking about Mui Thai plums and judo throws, none of that was even attempt....if a fighter wants to stall against the cage because he is playing the point game, that should be much harder to do then it is now.

again, im not talking about wrestling, im not talking about bjj, im simply talking about the stalling position that Masvidal and Usman were in pressed up against the cage doing literally nothing, that needs to be separated a lot sooner and it should not count for almost any points if any at all as its not an advantageous position that generated any offense.

Cliffs:
SadInsistentHog-small.gif

You might want to watch round 2 again because you blew the analysis.

Usman tore up Masvidal's body with aver 20 strong body punches, landed about 10 good knees to his thighs, about 8 real good shoulder strikes,
a few really good punches to the head, the foot stomps and on top of that the 5-10 strikes at the end of the round, in rapid succession that you
claimed won the round for Masvidal were mostly blocked shots and misses.

Last edited:
People give shit to Ropes in pride but it made wall and stalling a lot harder to do. A lot of it is on Masvidal however and his inability to stop running back to the cage and or do anything at all. Dude was passive in a fucking title fight. Masvidal will never not cruise unless he is kicking the shit out of you.

Back