Sick of doing bagwork, do more shadowboxing and padwork?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Legendary, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Legendary Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ

I am 25 and have been punching bags pretty regularly since I was 5 years old. I am tired of hitting bags. They did build my power and cardio, but its getting kind of monotonous. Probably gonna have crazy arthritis when I get older. I also feel that its taking a toll on my shoulders. They definitely work, but It takes a lot out of me. You can theoretically shadowbox for hours.

Would it hurt to just do an extra 10-15 minutes of padwork/drills and skipping the bag work? I will still hit the bag, but its not my sole focus in the gym because I have one at home.

2. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

Its up to you, at the end of the day, they're all tools meant to help your growth in the sport. Personally for me, bagwork has always been more beneficial than padwork, even with a good coach and mitt holder. Pads for me is more of accuracy, timing, reaction, and confidence building.

As for arthritis, I think it's going to happen regardless of medium; Even with a small dense glove you're never making a full fist, the mass of the gloves in various parts will always have you slightly in an open fist.

Why not do partner drills? Its more realistic and when done right, its going to work your tank well

3. biscuitsbrah Red Belt

I don’t see why not. You can always go back to bagwork when you feel like it dude

4. DoctorTaco Breadhead

Shadow box, skip rope, hit the double end bag, work the skip rope, work the head movement bag, lots of other options.

5. Centaur Black Belt

The bag is pretty important but padwork is def my favourite.

Do you have a set routine you do on the bag? If so, maybe switch it up and try some new stuff. Different intervals, try everything as a southpaw stuff like that.

6. Noodles03 Green Belt

I always liked hitting the double end bags and light sparring.

7. Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

Yeah go light shadowboxing or just take a complete break while your shoulders heal.

PS- If your shoulders get injured from punching you were doing it wrong. Going way too hard with your arms, sounds stiff and arm-punchy. Not only is it damaging to you but it's also much less powerful to the target. Don't be stiff and don't jam your joints.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  8. StanClarker Banned Banned

My understanding of boxing (limited), they are all valuable, all have their place.

I prefer a bag to start. And I think mitts done sloppy lead to ingraining very bad habits.<KingstonFrown>

9. Legendary Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ

Sometimes I do 2-3 minute rounds, and sometimes I just set a timer for 10-15 minutes. I try to "fight" the bag.

10. Bagwork should not give you arthritis

You're doing it wrong

11. j-boxing Human, all too human

There are two issues here. One is the potentially negative health consequences of doing bagwork. The other is the potentially negative performance consequences of not doing bagwork.

You can address both issues by either going lighter on the bag or avoiding it altogether and using other valuable training tools instead. I don't envisage much of a problem either way.

12. shincheckin Black Belt

generally its the other way around, most people are not willing to put in the time and work, on the heavy bag........it is a necessity............that being said, padwork IMO is a necessity as well.......so yeah, add in shadow boxing, and pads, and the other things mentioned by others......different types of bags........you can also vary how you work the bag......I had the same issue, a large majority of my training used to consist of bagwork, i had a few different bags, but even then it still got boring, so what I did was short, high intensity rounds, this way I kept switching bags fiarly quick, to keep from getting bored. I made myself a circuit of shadow boxing, slip bag, double end bag, heavy bag, wall bag.

13. StanClarker Banned Banned

You sound familiar.[<diva2]

14. j-boxing Human, all too human

That's a good idea. A high intensity circuit is an effective way to address boredom in my experience. We used to do circuits a bit in my boxing club. Also effective at keeping you working hard. (It's easy to get lazy just punching the heavy bag round after round after round.)

15. shincheckin Black Belt

yeah your just changing things too quickly to get bored basically

16. eternaldarkness Red Belt

Having trashed my shoulder, I can testify to this. This is why any shrugging or hunching is bad for your shoulders.

17. eternaldarkness Red Belt

The arthritis thing is interesting, and not everybody's hands are created equal. I have broken my hand punching the bag and several knuckles punching people without gloves. I am thirty four and don't have any hand issues when punching, knee and shoulder on the other hand...