SI Joint Pain

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by vision1, Jul 30, 2010.

1. vision1

vision1 Purple Belt

I've used google to self-diagnose myself, and found that I have some sort of sacroiliac joint injury. I know pain in the SI joint is common among members of this forum, so I'm making this thread into an informative resource on dealing with it.

As of now, I haven't done any research and I'm about to go to bed, but please post any information you guys have about SI joint injuries. If I remember correctly, Ascendant wrote an in-depth rehab program for MoM a few years back. Hopefully someone can dig that up.

I will be saving the second post of this thread so that I can fill it with information later.

My situation: I was off of lifting for 3 months, and planned on returning with the SS program. As soon as I began back squats I started to experience major pain in my lower right back/hip area. The pain is bad through-out the lift, but especially at the top (when I'm completing the lift). Squats seem to trigger the pain, and all of my proceeding lifts are uncomfortable, whereas they feel fine if I do them before squatting. As far as I can tell, my form is solid (probably better than it ever has been since I began squatting 4-5 years ago).

2. vision1

vision1 Purple Belt

Saved...

What are the Sacroiliac (SI) Joints?

What Causes SI Joint Pain?

What are the Symptoms?

Rehabilitation:
    1. Mobility/Stability
    2. Exercise Selection
    3. Recovery Methods
    4. Nutrition/Supplementation

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  3. Vovchanchyn Fan

Vovchanchyn Fan Green Belt

I would recommend you get to a solid Physical Therapist. I wasted a lot of time after I was injured in MMA with an SI related injury with doctors who just wantedt to give me pain killers and 'wait for it to heal'.

Anyway, a good PT can check if its in alignment and put it back in place if its not...something no pain killer is going to do.

After its back in place (assuming its not), then they'll give you proper exercises, stretches, etc. to prevent it from recurring.

I would not try to self diagnose or rely on Sherdog for this type of stuff. That said, this is a good article with some helpful exercises esp. the self SI traction:

Sacroiliac Joint Correction - A Different Model

Hope that helps.

4. Onericali

Onericali White Belt

What is your warmup before you hit the weights?

I don't think SS has shit for a warmup.

5. vision1

vision1 Purple Belt

Maybe you're right, but I've had a bad experience with PTs. I always find they're overpriced and useless, maybe I just haven't found a good one.

For example, yesterday I did the following:

- Jumping Jack variations (low, mid, upp)
    - BW Squats
    - Shoulder Circles
    - Lateral Lunges
    - Static Hip Flexor Stretch
    - Glute Bridges
    - Single-leg straight leg raises
    - Quadruped Thoracic Extensions
    - Walking Quad stretch
    - Walking Glute Pulls
    - Forward lunges w/ twist
    - Inchworms
    - Reach, roll, and raise

Mostly just a combination of stuff from MM, I/O, and Parisi

6. MatterOverMind

MatterOverMind Pulling for you

No, what he wrote up for me was to stop my tail-tucking, which was the cause of my SI joint injury.

What seemed to finally fix my SI joint was taking a few months off of lifting, which let it fully heal.

It's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it seems like most guys with SI joint issues never fully heal and have issues with it every few months.
    I haven't felt anything in my SI joint for probably close to two years now.

7. Sconse

Sconse Orange Belt

I've had a fair bit of recurring SIJ injuries, some slightly different to others, the last was about a month ago and was defiantly the worst by far. I had to get pain killers and take a week off training. Went to the physio and he gave me some stretches and exercises and told me to get back in the gym and do what I could pain free.

He told me, and I've heard this a few times now, that completely resting is one of the worst things you can do for an SIJ injury (generaly speaking, I guess there's probably exceptions). Doing your regular exercises means the joint is still moving and helps get mobility back in the joint. If you rest completely you're likely to have your joint stiffen up and the muscles around the joint stiffen up to try to protect it.

I took his advice and my SI joint feels great. I stretched my glutes and hammies, did some simple exercises (knee lifts while lying on my back) and eased myself back into training and I was better in no time. I was only out from heavy lifting for 2 weeks.

Mind you, this was purely an SIJ injury, no sciatica or nerve involvement.

8. PCP

PCP Guest

SS has too much squatting and deadlifting for someone who has been lifting for 5 years and has SI joint problems. You probably should have moved onto a different routine a long time ago.

Do you use a lifting belt?

9. vision1

vision1 Purple Belt

I generally run SS for as long as I can at the end of every summer to gain back the strength I lost during my lacrosse season. Usually it only takes a few weeks.

I use a lifting belt sometimes, it has no effect on the pain I get during squatting though.

I've already decided to change routines. I'm just gonna do whatever lifts I feel like, whenever I feel like, and make sure non of those cause pain.