Shuri-Te Ju-Jutsu

fan of fanboys

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Does anyone know/train in Shuri-Te Ju-Jutsu? Any experience with it?

I think I speak for the majority of the forum when I say "What the hell is that"

I seriously, seriously doubt you're getting authentic Shuri-Te in South Carolina.

I know what it is based off Google. Shuri-Te Ju-Jutsu is an officially recognized style of Ju-Jutsu by the United States Ju-Jitsu Federation

Shuri-Ryu Karatedo & Shuri-Te Ju-Jutsu

I posted it in the grappling forum bc...well I thought that my line of thinking was obvious. I did a couple classes. Seems practical, which is what I'm interested in. Looking for feedback if anyone has done it knows anyone who has. What it is known as in the jiu jitsu community.

Yay, something I can consider myself an expert in. Their ju-jitsu is an offshoot of Okinawan Toide, the original karate joint-locking system. It's mostly standing up, trapping and opponents arm/leg and using the wrist/ankle to control/injure the opponent. Since the explosion of Judo, several karate styles have mixed in judo throws and falls with their ju-jitsu style. There is little to no ground fighting though, as the thought is to take your opponent down and finish, or to cripple/kill them while still standing. I myself am a 4th degree black belt in Shorin-ryu (which of course is directly related to shuri-te) and have trained both in brazilian ju-jitsu and toide. If you perform a kimura on someone while standing, Voila!!! you have a move straight out of toide.

I trained with Troy Price at a seminar once, and while I'm not sure about his actual fighting ability, his wealth of knowledge is both incredible and highly practical.

I already know enough about it to know that you should definitely go to Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Augusta or Stronghold Mixed Martial Arts and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu instead.

You do understand that brazilian jiujitsu came from japanese jujitsu (hence the use of the japanese word) right? The founder was a student of Jigoro Kano (founder of Judo) and was trying to get the fighting application back into jujitsu since judo frankly watered it down. You can still find highly effective versions of japanese jujitsu though, and at the least don't put down the forefathers of the Gracie's style. If it wasn't for the japanese, there would be no brazilian jujitsu.

You do understand that brazilian jiujitsu came from japanese jujitsu (hence the use of the japanese word) right? The founder was a student of Jigoro Kano (founder of Judo) and was trying to get the fighting application back into jujitsu since judo frankly watered it down. You can still find highly effective versions of japanese jujitsu though, and at the least don't put down the forefathers of the Gracie's style. If it wasn't for the japanese, there would be no brazilian jujitsu.

thanks for the history lesson, what a revelation!!

Yay, something I can consider myself an expert in. Their ju-jitsu is an offshoot of Okinawan Toide, the original karate joint-locking system. It's mostly standing up, trapping and opponents arm/leg and using the wrist/ankle to control/injure the opponent. Since the explosion of Judo, several karate styles have mixed in judo throws and falls with their ju-jitsu style. There is little to no ground fighting though, as the thought is to take your opponent down and finish, or to cripple/kill them while still standing. I myself am a 4th degree black belt in Shorin-ryu (which of course is directly related to shuri-te) and have trained both in brazilian ju-jitsu and toide. If you perform a kimura on someone while standing, Voila!!! you have a move straight out of toide.

I trained with Troy Price at a seminar once, and while I'm not sure about his actual fighting ability, his wealth of knowledge is both incredible and highly practical.

Thanks. I am not looking to become a fighter or do competitions. I wrestled in college and I still do open tounrys for that so I get my competitive need filled. What I am looking for is soemthing 1) practical if I am put in a position where I have to defend myself 2) a new art/form to learn and practice couple times a week.

I have done 2 classes with him so far and your explanation matches up with what I saw. He teaches how to deflect attacks, trap and lock into a joint lock of some sort while mixing in short, direct attacks to joint or sensitive areas (neck, back of head, etc)

I have no desire to be an mma fighter or do bjj comp. That is why I have not looked at any BJJ place. If I am downtown outside of a bar I dunno how practical it would be.

Well i read the site and it seems that their jujutsu its a lot like judo, it uses the same principles and mechanics and its undoubtely heavily influenced by Judo, as they give emphasis on the concept of Kuzushi or imbalance.

All the concepts seem ok, so it seems you will be learning some traditional form of Judo, although i can't comment on their actual technical knowledge, they could very well had copy/pasted everything in there.

BJJ or judo is much more fun then Traditional jujutsu.

do sh-whatever-ryu even have sparring

I guess you never ever train BJJ!

The reason for the sucess of BJJ or GJJ is in the point system: the core of the self defense which cannot be found or imitated by other MA regardless that they share the same techniques!

BJJ or judo is much more fun then Traditional jujutsu.

do sh-whatever-ryu even have sparring

Whenever im faced with a new martial art i try to keep an open mind and actually educate myself about it.

When i said they did traditional judo, its implied that there must be randori or sparring as randori is a part of traditional judo.

From the site

13. Kata-Kumite (form fighting), Jiyu-Renshu (free style training), Problem Solving

14. Randori (jiyu-kumite & taninju-dori) (free-fighting with one or several opponents)

Again, the concepts seem right, but does the teacher understand the concepts? does he has good technique? That's another deal, basically what the site encompasses is how judo was trained traditionally, which is still done a lot in Japan.

And one of the reasons Japanese are still the master technicians in Judo, however you would have to go to the dojo or at least see some videos to see if his technique is good, and to see of they apply the concepts of randori.

I guess you never ever train BJJ!

The reason for the sucess of BJJ or GJJ is in the point system: the core of the self defense which cannot be found or imitated by other MA regardless that they share the same techniques!

Sarcasm?

Na, it is not sacarsm.

If you train BJJ, you will get to understand the fundamentals, principles and techniques.

While BJJ would share similar values (with other Judo or Ju Jutsus of whatever Ryu they claimed to belong to) on the above terms, it is the point system that differiente it from other MAs.

You should know them to appreciate BJJ otherwise it is non sense comparing apple with orange.

Stronghold MMA is run by Vince and Ryan, both really nice guys and good instructors.

It sounds like you've made up your mind about Japanese Jiu Jitsu, but realize if you're not sparring (dead training vs. alive training) you aren't really learning anything - you're kidding yourself.

My concern is less about the validity of the style it purports to be and more about the actual authenticity and effectiveness of whatever this random white G.I. who lived in Okinawa for four or five years claims to have learned. Most Japanese Jiu-Jitsu in America has very little authentic relationship to the JJJ that was practiced in Japan over a century ago. JJJ is virtually extinct even in Japan, it has been replaced by Judo and Karate, and even BJJ has gotten popular there. These guys who call themselves JJJ grand masters are taking advantage of that by claiming rank in the most obscure, extinct styles they possibly can, so that it is impossible to verify their actual qualifications. A lot of JJJ guys claim high dan ranks in multiple styles, the names of which are oftentimes simply made-up gibberish.

That, and they probably don't do anything resembling free sparring, it is much more likely to be choreographed/compliant sparring like you see in Aikido.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is an extremely simple, effective, and honest martial art. And most people who have done both seem to agree that BJJ is also way more fun and challenging than JJJ.

I recommend that you don't waste your time training in something completely obscure unless you really find a strong personal connection to that particular instructor and a lot of fulfillment in learning that particular art.

Back