Shroud of the Avatar = Ultima Online 2

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by MUSTKILL, Jan 13, 2015.

1. MUSTKILL

MUSTKILL Brown Belt

It's currently in Pre-Alpha on steam for a steep $44.99.
    They have Richard Garriot on board so it should be promising.
    So far I've enjoyed my time, even though its very limited considering it's pre-alpha.
    It feels like Elder Scrolls online with some UO elements mixed into.
    Hoping it eventually reaches the freedom of UO (full loot, open pvp, player economy, housing)

Any players on here on the dog?

2. jessejecmma

jessejecmma Green Belt

Why would anyone spend that much on a pre-alpha?

They can have my money when they finish the game

3. Matt4786

Matt4786 Gold Belt

Im gonna start following it. Also gonna wait til the game is released. I've been burned too many times before. It's well received so far FWIW.

4. MUSTKILL

MUSTKILL Brown Belt

I'm enjoying it a lot. It's still very early and not for everyone.
    It's got a lot of the old school UO guilds and players which is awesome.
    The community is really helpful as well.

5. GhostZ06

GhostZ06 Steel Belt

why is it using a weak sauce engine?

6. Halifax

Halifax Brown Belt

The Original Ultima online was amazing.

Griefing. A word that came into existence in Ultima Online that continues to be used to this day, usually in a derogatory fashion. But Griefing, while some take it overboard, was often just a part of the game. Often the most fun parts of the game. Ultima Online was an amazing game pre-Trammel that sadly has yet to be replicated in this day and age, mostly because of the carebears that have taken over the gaming world and whined that all games must be easy and skilless. You really had to be there to understand what it was like. No amount of explaining can really give you a feel for a giant world where you could do anything, with almost no rules. To those who wanted a simple game where they could farm dungeons and fight NPC bosses without worrying about other players.....it is now your era since you cried enough about it to make developers pansy up the games. But when Ultima first came out, it was the era of the Dreadlords, exploiters and PVPers. Murderers, and guilds thriving in a lawless land where you could do almost anything, anytime, anywhere.

Early in the game's history, there was a particularly naughty nasty trick you could play on people that involved runes and Moongates. It was incredibly annoying yet hilarious. GM's (And the victims) absolutely hated people like us for pulling it.

We had coded runes in our guild, and Whenever anyone in our guild had a rune marked "Home" or "Guild" or "Britain", it was bad news for whoever picked the thing up and used it. Those runes always lead to tiny islands we found while out on the ocean in a boat. We would often walk around Britainia, stealing people's runes, and making sure they ended up with those runes, while one of us waited on the Island. Or, we would just open a gate by the Brit Bank and see who decided to jump in. Once there, we would kill the person, loot them, and leave the ghost completely stranded on that tiny island until a GM came and got them off. It became such a widespread problem that Gm's eventually had to install teleporters on some of the smaller islands and prevented access to others. It was glorious.

And who could forget the runes that instead lead to the most dangerous parts of dungeons like despise, or isolated "lairs" where people had untamed dragons waiting to kill whoever entered so they could return for the loot later.

"Logjam Boating" was a form of Griefing that a specific alliance of guilds implemented. Some guilds early on stole dozen of boats. Literally. The guilds worked out a plan together to park their stolen boats on every possible landing spot in Buccaneer's den, and then locked them down and left them there to prevent all other boats from landing. The guilds went on a mass Dreadlord killing spree, and owned the Island for a brief time until a few other guilds who had Runes marked for the Island, gated in all at once in a large PVP battle.

Carpentry Griefing was one everyone remembers well. One minute, you are not paying attention, and then next, someone has built a table and piano around your character, trapping you in the corner:)

7. MUSTKILL

MUSTKILL Brown Belt

lol griefing..
    one of my favorite exploits, when they made gold have weight.
    I would sell something like a house deed and if the person was stupid enough to pay with gold, I would cancel the transaction as soon as it popped up. And since the gold was too heavy to hold, it would drop to their feet. Where I'd have my bank window open to make a deposit :)

Another good one was having sailing around to find a small island to mark. Then fill it up full of tamed grizzly bears and the tamer there waiting to murder anyone who jumps into the "Free stuff quitting the game" gate lol

8. in the

in the Steel Belt

I've heard about this game and may have to check it out. UO is still my favorite game of all time. The GOATest.

9. MUSTKILL

MUSTKILL Brown Belt

Likewise. Just don't go into it expecting it to be exactly like Ultima. The menu's, music, and lore is Ultima but the gameplay isn't quite what UO was. Hoping they don't carebear the shit out of it.

10. Halifax

Halifax Brown Belt

The problem is not carebearing. The problem is, so many MMO's exist today that people can choose carebear games instead.

Back then, the ONLY choice was Ultima and the ratio was around 85% carebears, 15% powergamers. Having a WORLD full of carebears stuck in rules made for powergamers was unreal awesome. The whining was unreal.

11. Byron Carter

Byron Carter Purveyor of Wisdom Banned

I've thrown my money at some real dookie games in the past, but anyone paying $50 for this is more desperate than me for a good MMO.

Wait until release.

12. MUSTKILL

MUSTKILL Brown Belt

Lol I admit, I am pretty desperate for a good mmo. Altis life is alright but not really a mmo