Shoyoroll Competition Gi, Batch#4 Review

I let my brother, who is the same height as I, 6 feet, but a bit heavier, 190 lbs ( I am 170) wear the gi.
It feet him way better and I thought it was a perfect fit.
Bear in mind that this gi has been shrunk to the max, 3 times hot washed and 3 times in the dryer.
Can anybody post measurements of an A2?
Sleeve 2 sleeve, jacket length and width? Shouldn't be too hard.

Yep I'm about the same measurements as your brother,6'1 205, I bought an A3,the body fits pretty good but the sleeves are about 1.5 inches too long......i'm just a little nervous to try to shrink it....i'll probably have to just stick the sleeves in the washer on warm to shorten them without washing the body........

So I just took my first BJJ class at Fighthouse NYC under Christiano Bertolucci. I've been doing Muay Thai there for a year, really like it there and decided to expand my skillset (costs $155 to take MT monthly and add $30 to do MT and BJJ).

I didn't know much of what I was doing, but I didn't get submitted during rolling and actually mounted and almost armbarred and ultimately got the back of one of the more advanced white belts... good fun... not a bad first class. Bout died though, did an hour of MT right before, two hours of BJJ then an hour of MT padwork...

I got my SYR Gi in December, but I sprained my knee so I hadn't been able to use it until now. I'm 5'10 / 185 and I got the A2. It fits well enough, but I think I need to shrink it an inch or so.

Being my first Gi I haven't much to compare it to. Pants are extremely comfortable, the collar is sturdy (the marks on my neck can attest to that) and the build of the whole top feels solid.

Even before I rolled in it, though, I did notice a a few stitches coming up in the support running across the chest.

I removed the patch from mine. I didn't want to have a showy looking GI as a noob. Took a long time to get it out of the collar and a ended up pooping a few stitches on it.

I've got another class on Wednesday and I'll give it a shrink on Sunday and I'll report back.

Anyone else have their drawstring start to kinda... Herniate strings. I've got strings bulging out in a couple of spots now. I've already mentioned it to Vince (who is absolutely addressing it), but I'm wondering if anyone else is having that happen.

My string for the pants is holding up fine, as well as the rest of the kimono.
I have trained in it 4 times and hot washed and dryed it 4 times. No problems.

One thing that does happen, the gi becomes pretty "sloppy" during training. I will have to evaluate this a bit more, but from all the stretching and pulling, plus sweat it seems like it looses its shape a bit. This only happens when training, which is the most important part. When I take it out of the dryer it fits and looks great.

I will be cold washing and hang drying it from now on, and see if that affects the shape of the gi.

I wonder if the drying shrinks it, but only temporarily. Once the gi gets wet and people start tugging at it, it seems as if it is goes back to its original size.
Anybody notice this?
I will be monitoring the gi and reporting back.
I hope that this helps Vince with his future product development.

Guys,

Thanks again for the feedback. We strive to product the best gis and also offer the best customer service in the industry. You can contact me direct with any issues at all. email is [email protected]

Also stotic,

All fabrics tend to loosen up while training. Some fabrics more then others. I honestly think that pearl weaves have a smaller percentage of loosening in training. Gold Weave fabric tends to stretch a bit more on the sleeves.

Hope that helps guys. Once again thank you for choosing SYR KIMONOS.

Washed the Gi for the first time.

I live in Brooklyn so I have a laundry service, hadn't done my laundry since college. Was a bit rusty.

Used Tide with Color Safe bleach, the Gi looks whiter than it did when I first got it and the patches didn't fade or bleed. (NB, I removed the chest patch...).

Washed it in cold water, then dried in max heat for 30 minutes (with bounce softening). It shrunk 3/4 of an inch on the cuffs of both the pants and top.

I could stand to take an inch or two, so I'll got for 45-50 minutes next time.

Oh and I hung dry the belt. I'm not too keen on the stock SYR belt... bit stiff and short. Didn't want it to shrink.

- n

Ahh, I do see that the drawstrings on the pants did frey after the wash.

As long as it doesn't get past the knot, it should be ok. We'll see after the next wash. If it gets worse I'll just melt it with a lighter...

Just to add a couple of things here guys.
The kimono is holding up fine, but once it is soaked with sweat and people pull at it, it becomes sloppy.
Out of the dryer it fits ok, not perfect, but with training it gets progressively bigger.

Here are the numbers for how much bigger it gets:
The pants go in length (outseam) from 40" when dry to 42".
The jacket, when wet and people pull at it, stretches 1-2 inches in the sleeve to sleeve across the back measurement and the width of the jacket stretches by an inch.

During training, the gi basically goes back to its original size, or 98% of its original size.

The drawstring on the pants is holding up fine. No problems.
There are a couple of loose threads and some fraying inside the pants, but that is about it.

Can't wait for the pants to come on sale, I have never found a gi pant that I haven't hated. Sounds like everybody loves these ones.

Here are pictures of the gi out of the dryer.
I figured I will change up the "pose" because it is always the same.
DSC04264.jpg

Here is a close up of the string, so that people can see that it is not fraying. This is also the picture of the only "fault" of this gi by now. One of the threads on the pants (visible in the picture) started to get loose. I just cut it off .
DSC04268.jpg

Back