Shoyoroll Comp 450 Gi, a full review

chino3

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Well, for those who don’t know the big long back story behind this gi, you can dig up the thread I created about my purchase through Budovideos and all the issues that resulted. Basically there were some severe communication issues, I ended up with a gi in the wrong size, and was left high and dry.

But now, for the first part of the actual review. After posting about the whole issue here on Sherdog, Shoyoroll responded directly in the thread. They offered to call me personally to make sure that I ended up a happy customer… and did they! I don’t want to go into specifics, as I don’t want others to expect the exact same level of treatment, but I will say that after we spoke on Friday, I ended up with the right size gi by Monday morning! Despite being in management, my business is kept afloat by customer service, and despite the hiccups along the way, SYR truly went above and beyond, not just with their Customer Service, but with their Product!!!

Ok so I have rolled with this gi all week (yes I have been washing it every night!), and I must say I am in love. Right off the bat, when opening the box, yes there was that infamous “smell” that was a result of the foam they used for the collar. Meh, no biggie I thought, as there are plenty of guys in class that are rocking some mean halitosis, so this aint got nothing on them! Quick little side note, after the second wash, the smell was completely gone.

Details:
The Lapel is the thickest yet lightest I have ever felt. I am really big on gi/lapel chokes, so understanding how much trouble this lapel is going to cause for others, made me excited right off the bat! My only complaint so far (and probably just because the break in time hasn’t gone through), is that when getting stacked, with the lapel being SO stiff, in really opens your gi up, and you end up with a gi mask! I have been “blinded” a few times during that transition, but it’s a small price to pay I say.

The jacket is a super light and soft weave, yet very sturdy. There are some guys that have ultra lights or summer weaves, and you can really tell the difference between those and your standard gold/double etc weaves. Those all feel like heavy tshirts. This bad boy, is really tough on the outside, but soft on the inside, I don’t know how, but it is! People I asked after rolling said it was just as tough to hold as our Vulkan Pro’s. The id pocket is a great idea. Trivial to some, but I am all about functionality, even when it comes to my gi!

The pants are SUPER light and feel comfortable yet again, still sturdy! I really dig the doubled belt loops. The crotch gi material thing going on is a cool idea, just not sure how much more effective its going to be, I mean any fabric is going to create friction, but needless to say, its one of those things that won’t hurt you, but only has the POTENTIAL to help, so why not?

Aesthetics are just awesome and simple on this gi. The yellow contrast is subtle but enough to make people do a double take and touch me and say “wow, that’s pretty cool!” Seriously, every class… its getting old guys lol. After multiple washes, I have not seen any of the bleeding from the belt loops that some have reported, so no worries there. I did get quite a bit of blood on it last night, and it washed right out (Without the use of shout or whatever), so it seems to be that any bleeding (from man or the loops :icon_chee )will come right out. Next test, red wine! JK.

As for the fit, I am 5’8”, compete at feather but walk around at 160. I ended up with the A1, and out of the bag it was near perfect. I have longish arms (well I think so, I had a buddy try the jacket on, and he is 6’0” and the sleeves came right to wrists) and the sleeves came half an inch to an inch past my wrist. The pants were perfect length, a little wide in the hips but obviously the rope cinches it up real nice! Since the fit was so perfect, I didn’t want to chance any shrinkage by drying it, so I washed in cold, hung dry the pants and put the jacket in the dryer for 30 minutes (just to slim it up a bit) and its perfect! The pants did shrink close to an inch, as I hung dry them outside, and it was about 85 degrees outside, but they are perfect!

So overall? I am smitten with SYR products and service. I cannot wait until batch 7 comes out, it feels like I am waiting for Christmas now! Thanks to Bear at Shoyoroll for everything! BTW, Just about everyone in class was asking where they could get one, I told them “You can’t!”

ok, during my upgrade in phones, I lost the preshrnk photos, but here are the post, 3 washes, A1 SYR pics vs my perfectly shrunk A2 Vulkan prolight 2009 (blue)

e81a6854.jpg

862965c5.jpg

as you can see, the kimono has a bit of way to go, but I love the fit so far (its more geared towards a slimmer "V" shape like I have, vs the vulkans) and that was after drying on high for 30 minutes. The pants on the other hand, were only hung dry, and as you can see shortened considerably further than my intentionally shurnken vulkans. Scroll to the bottom to see an A2 vs A2

Last edited:
for sure, I felt like a total boner posting a review without pics, ugh!

I have a preshrunk shot compared to shrunk vulkans, and will snag some post was pics as well!

My only other gi's are a pair of vuulkan pro lights, and a gameness pearl. I LOVE the vulkans, and they are super light (the '09 blue is 3lbs 3oz, and the white '10 is 3lbs 6oz) but this gi is lighter but just as sturdy. Doesnt quite have the same comfy pajama feel that the vulkans have, but that could just be because its so new.

its been a freakin suana in our gym the past week (90-95 outside, and over 100 plus humid inside), and I havent sweat this much since...well I never remember sweating this much lol. I havent noticed any major stretching following these drenching 1.5 hour classes. My vulkans never really gave me any issues, aside from the sleeves usually stretching (which I HATE because I love me some short sleeves!). To be honest, I dont have many grip fighters in class, but so far its totally held up!

its been a freakin suana in our gym the past week (90-95 outside, and over 100 plus humid inside), and I havent sweat this much since...well I never remember sweating this much lol. I havent noticed any major stretching following these drenching 1.5 hour classes. My vulkans never really gave me any issues, aside from the sleeves usually stretching (which I HATE because I love me some short sleeves!). To be honest, I dont have many grip fighters in class, but so far its totally held up!

My gi is right on the brim of being too long (probably need to shrink it a bit more) and we have no AC in our gym. I have not had an issue with stretching. I've been surprised how well it held up.

ok, crappy situation, I switched over to the iphone 4 (well thats not crappy!!!) but it didnt take my last batch of photos, so here is the most that I can provide.
:updated first post:
This was the SYR comp A2 fresh out of the bag, gehind my Vulkan '09 after shrinking to size:
724ab3af.jpg

9486d3ec.jpg

I love my comp 450, after some initial shrinking problems (took a longgggggggg time) it has been my go to summer gi. I bought two and have been rotating them in and out along with my Isami.

the jacket fits PERFECTLY, but the pants seem to shrink every wash (cold wash, hang dry). they are just on the border of being illegal lol.

the jacket fits PERFECTLY, but the pants seem to shrink every wash (cold wash, hang dry). they are just on the border of being illegal lol.

Again with that? I had to sell my white Superlite because the pants kept shrinking until they were capris. Oddly enough, the blue version shrunk after the first couple of washes and then not again. More than anything else, I think SYR needs to address shrinkage inconsistencies so that sizing is more predictable.

well Bear did warn me upfront that since the pants are 100% cotton, that they WILL shrink if washed in hot water/dried on any heat setting. So I washed it on cold, and line dried. They still shrank about an inch, but were perfect! After that they contined to shrink. To date, they have shrunk about 3", which at the beginning of class looks odd, but after 15 minutes of drilling they usually are better.

I ended up getting two of these gis and here is my take on them. First of all, I am 5'8" and about 200-205. I decided upon A3 because I wanted to be sure that I could get them to be legal size. I normally train in A2 but the sleeves are a hair too short to be legal.

The gi ran big. I shrank mine down as much as I could. I started by soaking it in vinegar becuase I was worried about the yellow bleeding. I then washed them both in hot water and dried hot for a full cylce. I repeted this after I started wearing them 2-3 times and now wash them cold like my other gis. Oh and yes, mine both did also smell like ass coming out of the bag but do not any more.

The Top:

The top is very comfortable. I really like the way it came out. It is a little big for me in the arm pit regions as there is some slack. The sleeves are also about a half to a full inch too long. However, this can be expected because I ordered a bit big to be on the safe side. The skirt is a little longer which I like. I have had no problems with the sleeves stretching during training which I have had happen in the past. This inside is very confortable and the whole thing feels durable overall. Nice touch with the pocket too. The lapel is nice and thick and seems like it is going to hold up for a while. Overall the gi top, though a little bit big on me, is a great top. I probably could have gone with an A2 top but then I would have to been really careful about it shrinking at all and from what I have heard, even if you wash them in cold water and hang dry them, they shrink a little and that would have been risky for me.

The Pants:

The Pants are what set SYR apart in my eyes. They are PHENOMINAL! The contrasting color stitiching is excellent. The 6 belt loops are very good. The strechy rope draw string is a plus and makes it easy to tie tight and undo. The knee pads are done awesome. The double weeve on them makes them super confortable. The best part of them though is the weeve added portion in the crotch. It makes the pants give a little bit more and makes them excellent. A true unique design in my eyes. These were designed for GUARD players with out a doubt. The crotch is also lifted a little compared to other gis so you dont have that little bit of slack in them as well as the but is lifted too to keep them from riding down. There are a few minor complaints though. First of all, the draw string was WAY to long. But it was easy enough to mark, cut, and burn to get it just right. Next was even though I soaked mine in vinegar, the loops and string still bleed a very almost highlighter yellow onto the pants. I have a few stains on the pants as well as on the top, but they are hard to notice. But still a little inconvienent. As for sizing, the pants did shrink ALOT! but since I ordered mine a tad big, the pants came out fitting perfectly for me. Course I am also 5'8" with A3 pants and they come down to my ankles so I can see how that would be a problem with others.

OVERALL:

Overall I really like these gis. They are really comfortable and seem like they are going to be durable. Highlight of the gi is definalty the pants. SYR pants are the best and if I could have a draw full of them I would be set. The top is a good top as well. I wish I could have done like an A2 top with A3 bottoms, but I would have to pray that the top wouldnt shrink. I think that as long as you got lucky and got the perfect size for you and shrank it well, this is an awesome gi, especially for the price. I will try the next batch of shoyoroll as well and proabably try and A2 this time to see how well that fits so I will know from know on what my size is in SYR. In conclusion I give this gi probably a 4-4.5 out of 5 stars. They are great, but there are a few things that keep them from being perfect.

MARK

Back