Shoyoroll Belt, worst belt that I have ever worn.

Tapbar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dear fellow jits players,

Do you guys remember how happy you were to get promoted to purple? Or for the blue belts how happy you would be to get purple?

Well I have been excited from the moment I heard i was getting my purple (2 weeks ago) to the day I recieved it(yesterday)!!!

I have always been a fan of the Shoyoroll gis and what better way to match then with a shoyoroll belt.

So hear comes the moment of truth, and I get my purple belt put on me. It was a Shoyoroll belt that was ordered through Budovideos.com, size A2 purple. Link below.

Budovideos.com - Shoyoroll BJJ Belt

The belt is crap. I love the gi's, but the belt is crap. I have had a lot of belts (I think 8) in my days(gradeschool) from tae kwon do and even those crappy belts that only last 6 weeks were better than the shoyoroll belt.

First the belt is super thin and feels like cardboard. Second the sizing is way off. the A2 was HUGE.

So my big day of getting promoted had a downer, my shoyoroll belt was crap. There is $20 bucks down the drain.

I wanted to give advice and tell the people to buy a size down if they were going to buy, but the belt is so horrible, my advice is dont buy it. Instead go with Koral or Atama, I can tell you those belts are sweet and will last a long time.

I will be ordering a koral belt like I should have in the first place.

Sorry to hear that, SYR usually makes all great stuff. Keiko Raca makes a good quality belt.

wait...you buy your own belts and promote yourself?

If you want a great belt, try HCK. Stays tied very long and the belt is very durable.

wait...you buy your own belts and promote yourself?

no, I was promote by my instructor, he give us option of buying our own belt since some people have brand preference. He gives us about 2 week notice prior to promotion day to order the brand we want.

That sucks about the belt. I had a white one from a previous batch and it seemed fine so maybe they changed the specs on it. BTW, since we're agreed that their gis rock, check out my sig! (shameless, I know)

no, I was promote by my instructor, he give us option of buying our own belt since some people have brand preference. He gives us about 2 week notice prior to promotion day to order the brand we want.

Hahhahaah If I suggest this to my instructor he hit me in the face! This is classic, who the hell gives a damn about belt brands? Americans materializing the BJJ world...

Thats mest up you get warned you are being promoted , That would be so depressing where i train we get ambushed while we are rolling , my instructor waits for you to have your back facing him and he whips you with a belt .
Then you go order a belt doesnt really matter if it takes you 2 weeks to get that belt just wear the one you got until then .

Hahhahaah If I suggest this to my instructor he hit me in the face! This is classic, who the hell gives a damn about belt brands? Americans materializing the BJJ world...

And your mom still shops for your clothes? I guess when you need new shoes, mom just goes and buys them for you cause you dont have a preference.

Oh and my instructor is Marcelo Alonso, Been doing jist for over 30 years. 4th degree Carlson Gracie Sr. Black belt. He is old school as you can get.

Last edited:
An update on sizing. I trained yesterday and i compare my buddies atama A2 purple with the shoyoroll purple. The shoyoroll was a clear 6 inches longer. I'll bring my camera for next time I train to show comparisons.

Budovideos claims that:
Atama size at A2 - 112in 284.5cm
Shoyoroll size at A2 - 111in 281.9cm

Would that also be part budovideos fault for not checking measurement prior to listing on website? Or Shoyoroll for not checking its own quality/measurements prior to sending it out for sale.

budo is notorious for having wrong sizing information.

Hah! When I got promoted, I was given the blue belt from another student who got promoted to purple. Who gives a shit what brand the belt is? Seriously, the gays have taken over the sport nowadays. You've got guys with zero training coming to Muay Thai now decked out in color co-ordinated top of the line gear from Fairtex, Cleto Reyes, Grant, etc. insisting they only wear the brands of champions, wearing custom made replica Buakaw shorts, etc. Meanwhile these guys can't throw a roundhouse for their lives and punch with the force of a crippled midget.

many congrats on your promotion bro, a purple under marcelo could be perceived as a brown under most other bbs..who else got promoted last week? did jacob get promoted to brown? that guy has been a terror at purple..congrats again my dude and i should be up there to train with you guys again soon..

Hah! When I got promoted, I was given the blue belt from another student who got promoted to purple. Who gives a shit what brand the belt is? Seriously, the gays have taken over the sport nowadays. You've got guys with zero training coming to Muay Thai now decked out in color co-ordinated top of the line gear from Fairtex, Cleto Reyes, Grant, etc. insisting they only wear the brands of champions, wearing custom made replica Buakaw shorts, etc. Meanwhile these guys can't throw a roundhouse for their lives and punch with the force of a crippled midget.

I got some old underwear that I was going to throw out, but hell give me your address.

How about the fact I like the shoyoroll gi, so i thought the quality would match the belt? Having a good belt that doesn't come apart while you roll does matter, but maybe you don't train enough to know?

many congrats on your promotion bro, a purple under marcelo could be perceived as a brown under most other bbs..who else got promoted last week? did jacob get promoted to brown? that guy has been a terror at purple..congrats again my dude and i should be up there to train with you guys again soon..

Yo, thanks bro. I was definitley proud and excited to get promoted.

Jacob did get his brown. The guy is a fricken animal. Marcelo said he had no choice to give him his brown cause he just killing everyone at the tourneys. His nogi game is super dangerous. He's been tapping out browns and blacks at the nogi comps.

Joel Borja received his well deserved black belt. He's been training under Marcelo since 1998. Steve Cabana also rec'd his black belt.

congrats on your promotion. i am kindda shock that Shoyoroll belt is poor made
have u thought of getting a custom made belt? like Kataaro?

congrats on your promotion. i am kindda shock that Shoyoroll belt is poor made
have u thought of getting a custom made belt? like Kataaro?

No I haven't, do you have or know anyone that uses Kataaro belts?

Congrats bro!
I just saw the pictures on marcelo's facebook of the promotions.

I think most guys at our gym get koral belts and like them.

Yo, thanks bro. I was definitley proud and excited to get promoted.

Jacob did get his brown. The guy is a fricken animal. Marcelo said he had no choice to give him his brown cause he just killing everyone at the tourneys. His nogi game is super dangerous. He's been tapping out browns and blacks at the nogi comps.

Joel Borja received his well deserved black belt. He's been training under Marcelo since 1998. Steve Cabana also rec'd his black belt.

nice and congrats to all those guys, steve actually taught the class when i was up there visiting after the last revolution tourny and jacob was in both my gi and nogi divisions that weekend and yes hes was killin it to say the least and also got robbed of a gold in the gi div..you guys are imo the most sold team up there and i look forward to trainin with yall again hopefully soon..

Dude get a WAR belt, I hear good things about them.... I see the point of getting whatever belt your given, but I also see a guy wanting to wear a quality belt as opposed to someone elses hand me down, thats all torn up and ragged....

Get the WAR, you wont regret it.

Back