Showtime is no longer a top Boxing network

Corrado Soprano

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
For years the top Boxing networks have been HBO and Showtime. These networks always had the top fights. Now its looking like Showtime's tenure as a top Boxing network is coming to an end. Showtime still has Mayweather but for only a couple more fights. They currently have no upcoming fights scheduled for this year.

Al Haymon, Golden Boy and Showtime had a close working relationship but that's over now. Golden Boy has begun working with Top Rank. That caused Richard Schaefer to leave Golden Boy. Many of the boxers fighting on Showtime under Golden Boy never had signed agreements with Golden Boy promotions but were signed to Al Haymon.

Al Haymon has taken his stable of fighters to NBC. Fights like Thurman-Guerrero, Gracia-Peterson and Broner-Molina which would usually be shown on Showtime will now be shown on NBC. HBO destroyed Showtime in the ratings for non-PPV events in 2014 and have a lot of big stars fighting under their banner. So, the question is, how does Showtime Boxing play out in 2015?

i would agree that they are definetly in trouble. well see how they respond in 2015

Al Haymon's guys aren't necessarily exclusive to NBC. He can bring them to Showtime so he can have more dates to work with.

Al Haymon's guys aren't necessarily exclusive to NBC. He can bring them to Showtime so he can have more dates to work with.

Doubt it. Considering the amount of cards he needs to fill on NBC.

The series, titled "Premier Boxing Champions" -- "PBC on NBC" as executives are calling it -- will include five cards on NBC on Saturday nights, six on NBC on Saturday afternoons and the remaining nine in prime time on NBC Sports Network.

Al has around 150 fighters in his stable. Showtime is still a possibility.

And out of those 150 fighters you claim are signed to Haymon, only handful are notable enough to headline cards on NBC. Haymon's priority is clearly NBC and he's gonna put his best fighters there.

And out of those 150 fighters you claim are signed to Haymon, only handful are notable enough to headline cards on NBC. Haymon's priority is clearly NBC and he's gonna put his best fighters there.

Of course his best will be on NBC. What I'm saying is 11 cards isn't enough to keep the prospect level guys busy, which is where Showtime can fill the void. Also, Roc Nation can fill the void themselves.

funny after all the " showtime is taking over !! " talk in 2013.

It's an Uphill climb but I hope Boxing on NBC is a success

Of course his best will be on NBC. What I'm saying is 11 cards isn't enough to keep the prospect level guys busy, which is where Showtime can fill the void. Also, Roc Nation can fill the void themselves.

This could happen but this will put Showtime on ESPN level in terms of quality of fights.

This could happen but this will put Showtime on ESPN level in terms of quality of fights.

I can agree there. I just don't think it's over for Showtime yet. If Jay-Z can get fan interest in Ward, then Showtime has a shot at a big fight this year.

I can agree there. I just don't think it's over for Showtime yet. If Jay-Z can get fan interest in Ward, then Showtime has a shot at a big fight this year.

Ward is an HBO fighter. I doubt he's moving.

Showtime Championship Boxing is done. ShoBox will still be going strong but they let Haymon play them like a fiddle and that's that. Espisnoza should be fired for this tbh

Showtime Championship Boxing is done. ShoBox will still be going strong but they let Haymon play them like a fiddle and that's that. Espisnoza should be fired for this tbh

I agree, Espisnoza really dropped the ball. Showtime had a good year in 2013 but 2014 was bad. Fans got sick of blatant mismatches and the ratings reflect that.

Didn't know Ward had a contract with HBO. Well, no big shows for them this year, at least.

Didn't know Ward had a contract with HBO. Well, no big shows for them this year, at least.

A handful of Haymon's fighters are promoted by Golden Boy, so will still featute on HBO or Showtime for the time being. (Doesn't necessarily mean any big cards from Golden Boy, but I think that's as much to do with their matchmaking as it is anything else.)

HBO also has GGG, whom is a must watch fighter. Showtime hypes up Adonis Stevenson, best known for ducking Kovalev, and running to Showtime to avoid Kovalev

HBO also has GGG, whom is a must watch fighter. Showtime hypes up Adonis Stevenson, best known for ducking Kovalev, and running to Showtime to avoid Kovalev

Not to mention Stevenson's last fight bombed in terms of the ratings. Stevenson did nothing with all the momentum he had behind him.

Unless CBS cuts their budget they will always be a big player. Just fire Ezpinoza already.

Back