Showtime Aims To Stage Boxing And Bellator Crossover Events

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
“Crossover events are certainly one of the ideas Scott and I have kicked around and brainstormed, and pairing them together programming wise on the same night and start blending those audiences together with a hybrid event at some point,” Espinoza told BoxingScene.com in an interview.

stephen-espinoza_3.jpg

“Whether it's fighter vs. fighter, or an event where you do both styles in the same night, the door is open, and those conversations are happening. It hasn't been determined, but I do think it will happen at some point,” said Coker. “There will be boxing guys going into MMA, and MMA guys going into boxing. That's something Stephen and I have talked about.”

“We had a lot of momentum [with Strikeforce]. It marked the end of an opportunity. We’re excited to have Bellator back. ViacomCBS is absolutely committed to it and wants to grow it. They see the potential. With the merger, it made sense for me to have oversight of it simply because we can unite the two combat sports businesses into the portfolio, as well as my relationship with Scott. He’s an important part. We have a lot of plans. Obviously coronavirus interrupted a lot of them. We’re anxious to get back in business.”

Espinoza said the plan is to eventually have Bellator broadcast on his premium cable network after the promotion’s distribution deals expire with DAZN and Paramount Network.

“We’re going to honor that deal,” said Espinoza. “There is no plan otherwise. In the long run, we’re going to try and grow the business in a way that is organic and rewarding to the fans … That’s the goal, generally, to have Bellator [back on Showtime and ViacomCBS properties] and use the combined power of the entire corporation. In the long term, all of those assets are going to be used to help Bellator grow. The timing of that remains to be seen, as there is a good amount of time still left on the DAZN deal.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/showtime-aims-stage-boxing-bellator-crossover-events--148841

I'm open to it, especially if they're shorter fights. In a 10-12 round fight an MMA guy has almost no chance in the boxing ring. But 3-5 rounds? Odds go up significantly.

The first crossover fight should include Cyborg

Are there any interesting match-up as far as boxing? I would want to see, particularly, Pico in a boxing match.
I think also maybe Sergei, Manhoef, Sakara, Mousasi, Schilling, van Steenis, Larkin, Raymond Daniels, Borics, and Cyborg have good enough hands to see them in a boxing match against low ranked opponents for a couple of rounds.
This is actually pretty interesting.

“Crossover events are certainly one of the ideas Scott and I have kicked around and brainstormed, and pairing them together programming wise on the same night and start blending those audiences together with a hybrid event at some point,” Espinoza told BoxingScene.com in an interview.

stephen-espinoza_3.jpg

“Whether it's fighter vs. fighter, or an event where you do both styles in the same night, the door is open, and those conversations are happening. It hasn't been determined, but I do think it will happen at some point,” said Coker. “There will be boxing guys going into MMA, and MMA guys going into boxing. That's something Stephen and I have talked about.”

“We had a lot of momentum [with Strikeforce]. It marked the end of an opportunity. We’re excited to have Bellator back. ViacomCBS is absolutely committed to it and wants to grow it. They see the potential. With the merger, it made sense for me to have oversight of it simply because we can unite the two combat sports businesses into the portfolio, as well as my relationship with Scott. He’s an important part. We have a lot of plans. Obviously coronavirus interrupted a lot of them. We’re anxious to get back in business.”

Espinoza said the plan is to eventually have Bellator broadcast on his premium cable network after the promotion’s distribution deals expire with DAZN and Paramount Network.

“We’re going to honor that deal,” said Espinoza. “There is no plan otherwise. In the long run, we’re going to try and grow the business in a way that is organic and rewarding to the fans … That’s the goal, generally, to have Bellator [back on Showtime and ViacomCBS properties] and use the combined power of the entire corporation. In the long term, all of those assets are going to be used to help Bellator grow. The timing of that remains to be seen, as there is a good amount of time still left on the DAZN deal.”

https://www.boxingscene.com/showtime-aims-stage-boxing-bellator-crossover-events--148841
Im surprised Bellator is not interested in renewing their DAZN contract, if anything, that deal ia what has them up and running right now. I feel Coker conned DAZN with that 100 million over 3 years deal.
I wonder if ViacomCBS is willing to fork over that amount of cash a year.

Viaco owns part of bellator as far as i know, Coker also conned viacom

Boxing mma crossover? No thanks.

Also, putting Bellator on Showtime is a backwards move.

Im surprised Bellator is not interested in renewing their DAZN contract, if anything, that deal ia what has them up and running right now. I feel Coker conned DAZN with that 100 million over 3 years deal.
I wonder if ViacomCBS is willing to fork over that amount of cash a year.

Viacom/CBS basically own Bellator. Since Showtime competes with Dazn directly, seems like Espinosa’s ego is gotten in between that, and they are willing to loose 33 mil per year from Dazn. So june 2021 is the last date of Dazn/Bellator it seems

Viacom/CBS basically own Bellator. Since Showtime competes with Dazn directly, seems like Espinosa’s ego is gotten in between that, and they are willing to loose 33 mil per year from Dazn. So june 2021 is the last date of Dazn/Bellator it seems
Seems like a bad move, these $33 million a year is what is making Bellator profitable, unless ViacomCBS is planning on spending that same money a year for Bellator I dont foresee any major signings in a near future. But who knows, if they are as committed to MMA/Boxing as they say they are then maybe they will be making a big move for it.

Boxing mma crossover? No thanks.

Also, putting Bellator on Showtime is a backwards move.
The only forward move for Bellator, imo, is a CBS move, not Showtime.

Seems like a bad move, these $33 million a year is what is making Bellator profitable, unless ViacomCBS is planning on spending that same money a year for Bellator I dont foresee any major signings in a near future. But who knows, if they are as committed to MMA/Boxing as they say they are then maybe they will be making a big move for it.
It is a bad move to abandon that money

Bellator should split the schedule in half with Showtime/CBS & DAZN

I like the idea of Bellator on Showtime. Though do not have Showtime, will go to friends house for any big events. Showtime puts on good shows and as long as no scandals it should do well there. Though Bellator put a lot of effort into adding kick-boxing and now they must refocus on boxing.. seems like it will be confusing. I was not a big fan of adding kick-boxing as more enjoy Muay-thai (like Lion Fights put on).

Boxing does have the older audience and may bring them over to MMA. Though Boxing does seem to be going through it's own struggles these days. Maybe by mixing it with MMA matches the women boxers will get more respect?

This does seem a step up to me, as was waiting for Bellator to slip into WWE scripts. Now with boxing wanting to look professional maybe Bellator will also.

I want to wish Bellator luck and I will be watching as much as I can.

This should’ve been what de la Hoya did with Golden Boy MMA.

Maybe it's time to drop the Bellator name, just call it Showtime Fights.

stephen-espinoza_3.jpg

This here Espinoza basically confirms that the Bellator/Dazn relationship is not going to last long

did they do the mma/boxing event paramount? or was that just kickboxing/mma?

Back