Showtime Aims To Stage Boxing And Bellator Crossover Events

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
https://www.boxingscene.com/showtime-aims-stage-boxing-bellator-crossover-events--148841

“Crossover events are certainly one of the ideas Scott and I have kicked around and brainstormed, and pairing them together programming wise on the same night and start blending those audiences together with a hybrid event at some point,” Espinoza told BoxingScene.com in an interview.

stephen-espinoza_3.jpg

“Whether it's fighter vs. fighter, or an event where you do both styles in the same night, the door is open, and those conversations are happening. It hasn't been determined, but I do think it will happen at some point,” said Coker. “There will be boxing guys going into MMA, and MMA guys going into boxing. That's something Stephen and I have talked about.”

“We had a lot of momentum [with Strikeforce]. It marked the end of an opportunity. We’re excited to have Bellator back. ViacomCBS is absolutely committed to it and wants to grow it. They see the potential. With the merger, it made sense for me to have oversight of it simply because we can unite the two combat sports businesses into the portfolio, as well as my relationship with Scott. He’s an important part. We have a lot of plans. Obviously coronavirus interrupted a lot of them. We’re anxious to get back in business.”

Espinoza said the plan is to eventually have Bellator broadcast on his premium cable network after the promotion’s distribution deals expire with DAZN and Paramount Network.

“We’re going to honor that deal,” said Espinoza. “There is no plan otherwise. In the long run, we’re going to try and grow the business in a way that is organic and rewarding to the fans … That’s the goal, generally, to have Bellator [back on Showtime and ViacomCBS properties] and use the combined power of the entire corporation. In the long term, all of those assets are going to be used to help Bellator grow. The timing of that remains to be seen, as there is a good amount of time still left on the DAZN deal.”

Espinoza is playing chess here. smart fucking move, and the major players in Boxing better be paying attention. This is clearly a ploy by Showtime and Bellator to poach talent from other promotions using Bellator and MMA as the lure. If Golden Boy, PBC, Top Rank, Dazn, and all them don't get their heads out of their asses and figure out how to get Boxing up and running again within the year they're going to not only lose eyeballs, but lose talent.

Their collective silence right now is fucking deafening.

Espinoza is playing chess here. smart fucking move, and the major players in Boxing better be paying attention. This is clearly a ploy by Showtime and Bellator to poach talent from other promotions using Bellator and MMA as the lure. If Golden Boy, PBC, Top Rank, Dazn, and all them don't get their heads out of their asses and figure out how to get Boxing up and running again within the year they're going to not only lose eyeballs, but lose talent.

Their collective silence right now is fucking deafening.

Arum's going to have Top Rank Boxing up & running on ESPN by early June. So, we won't be waiting long for boxing to be making its long-awaited return.

Arum's going to have Top Rank Boxing up & running on ESPN by early June. So, we won't be waiting long for boxing to be making its long-awaited return.

That’s all well and good, better than nothing, but not good enough. The key is to get the guys that matter back in the ring. The big names in big fights. Not Crawford in a stay busy fight against a body.

Are we gonna have to wait until December to see anyone if note back in the ring? I hope not. Hope I’m proven wrong

That’s all well and good, better than nothing, but not good enough. The key is to get the guys that matter back in the ring. The big names in big fights. Not Crawford in a stay busy fight against a body.

Are we gonna have to wait until December to see anyone if note back in the ring? I hope not. Hope I’m proven wrong

Oh, the big names? I doubt we'll be seeing anyone of note in the ring until the fall or whenever live gates become a factor again.

Oh, the big names? I doubt we'll be seeing anyone of note in the ring until the fall or whenever live gates become a factor again.

Agree. Which is problematic for Boxing. Ceding the big stage to the UFC/MMA for the next 6,12 months — or longer. Not good for the health of the sport imo

Agree. Which is problematic for Boxing. Ceding the big stage to the UFC/MMA for the next 6,12 months — or longer. Not good for the health of the sport imo

True. As The UFC could poach new fans from boxing during this period. But, honestly, I'm not too worried, my friend. I think boxing will eventually bounce back to full strength. At least I hope so. We shall see.

would be very cool if they did everything in a boxing ring instead of having both a cage and a ring

would be very cool if they did everything in a boxing ring instead of having both a cage and a ring
Bellator did something with kickboxing and mma, they had both a cage and a ring side by side which looked weird

not showtime but Crawford against whatever scrub he was going to fight could still happen because the live gate could be offset by TV ad and sponsors by those willing to pay more for all the eyeballs on those watching live sports right now.

Bellator did something with kickboxing and mma, they had both a cage and a ring side by side which looked weird
that’s what i mean. they should do it all in one ring this time around kinda like how ONE does it

that’s what i mean. they should do it all in one ring this time around kinda like how ONE does it
develop a boxing ring with quick releases at the poles where those could be removed and replaced in 10 minutes with a snap in cage(wwe has figured out how to snap in a cage for years) and space it out with a series of mma, then boxing, then 1 main event of each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back