Show 'em Your "O" Face - The Oly Lifts Thread

Centaur

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Olympic-Medal-W-63kg-Weightlifting.jpg

So, since there's always a few people asking about these lifts, I reckoned it was time to have an all encompassing thread dedicated to them.

• Ask questions
  • Give suggestions
  • Post Form Vids
  • List of References
  • Tutorials

Since one of the first things most people ask is "What book should I get", it would seem that this is the Go To Book.

Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Athletes & Coaches - $34.95 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Here are some more:
Olympic Weightlifting Resource - Weightlifting Books

Here a pretty good site for perusing:
Olympic Weightlifting Resource - Guide to Olympic Style Weightlifting

Breakdown of the movements:
Olympic Style Weightlifts and Training Progressions

Some more links of interest (thanks Hatman):
Kono Lecture Part 1
Kono Lecture Part 2
Dan John Website
Clips from Dan John's DVD
DJ Book
DJ Seminar
Catalyst Athletics
Coach Mike Burgener
East Coast Gold Weightlifing Team
USA Weightlifting
International Weightlifting Federation

The Tight Tan Slacks of Dezso Ban: The Olympic Squat - Tommy Kono

Equipment:
Werksan
Eleiko
Hebei Zhang Kong Barbell
Ironmind
Pendlay

Weightlifting Shoes

If anyone has suggestions please let me know and I'll add them.

Apologies for bumping the old thread, but I'd rather not start a new thread.

My question is what does one gain from oly lifting? My university has a oly lifting club and I would like to join, but am not sure its going to help me with my goals. One on side, it might be good to learn how to oly lift incase I ever want to in the future (learning more skills is always good, right?)

I would also get access to some very high level coaches, very cheap, although I'm not sure how much personal attention I would get.

On the flip side, I think it might detract from my goal of getting strong, because of the sheer amount of time spent doing technique work.

They also train twice a week, but I would only be able to make one session. Can one make any significant progress oly lifting just once a week, or is it a waste of time?

Finally, will oly lifting give me anything that just squating, pressing and pulling won't? The extra flexibility would be nice, but in pure strength terms would I be better off learning to oly lift, or just training conventional lifts? Cheers

Clean And Jerk

Clean and Jerk Evaluation Checklist

The Starting Position

-Load barbell correctly with the appropriate weight and safety collars in place to secure plates.

-Stand with feet spaced hip- to shoulders-width apart, with toes directly under bar, slightly pointed out (with no stagger), feet flat on floor, knees straight, and barbell 2-inches from shins.

-Reach down for barbell using a hook grip. Grip barbell as tightly as possible when using heavier weights. Once you have the proper grip, bend knees so the bar is close to shins.

-Keep back flat, head up, chest out, shoulder blades pulled together, trapezius muscles relaxed, and arms straight with forearms pronated. Keep hips higher than knees but lower than shoulders, and with the barbell now is touching shins.

The First Pull

-Tighten torso muscles, and pull bar off of floor with a smooth, slow, easy pull.

-Keep hips higher than knees but lower than shoulders, maintaining a flat back with shoulders over barbell.

-Keep elbows locked with arms extended and forearms pronated.

-Keep head in a neutral position with eyes focusing straight ahead (do not look at the ceiling), maintaining a flat back.

-Keep feet flat on the floor, balancing at mid-foot.

The Second Pull

-You have reached the major power position of the lift—the starting point for the second pull—when you have raised the bar to the level of your kneecaps or slightly higher. At this point, pull the bar upward quickly, keeping your arms straight and the barbell close to your body.

-When the barbell reaches mid-thigh level, explode upward using as much force as possible. Extend up on your toes, shrug your shoulders upward and pull the barbell above your belly button—keeping the barbell as close to the body as possible.

-At this point, your toes should be fully extended and your shoulders fully shrugged. Keep your arms straight and the barbell close to your body.

Rack and Recovery

-With your body fully extended (ankles, knees, hips with spine straight and shoulder shrugged) bend your arms (upright row posture) and begin to drop under the rising barbell by rotating the elbows out in front and dropping to a full squat. Your feet may have to widen slightly at this point so that you assume a secure, balanced position.

-As the hips go below the knees the barbell should come to rest on your deltoids and clavicles.

-As you ride the weight down to a front squat position, you have reached the clean catch position.

-Stand up, keeping the elbows up, the torso rigid, chest high, and hold the barbell tightly across the deltoids.

-From this position, bring the feet back to the starting stance.

Jerk

-Bend your knees, lowering your body about 3 to 5 inches. Straighten your legs explosively, driving the barbell up from the shoulders with your arms, while pushing upward on your toes.

-As the barbell passes above your head, push your toes forcefully off of the floor and drive one leg forward about one foot and the other foot backward in the opposite direction about 2 to 3 feet (in a “lunge” position).

-As your feet land, lockout the barbell overhead with your arms. This is the split jerk catch position.

-Return to the standing erect position by pushing back with the front foot and stepping up with the rear foot, pushing up hard to keep the barbell overhead.

-The finish position of the clean and jerk is when the barbell is locked out overhead with the feet in line, and the body held in an erect position.

-Lower the bar under control back to the floor. by pushing back with the front foot and stepping up with the rear foot, pushing up hard to keep the barbell overhead.

From the ISSA SSC Textbook.

Well, you get strong and explosive. You gain mass in your back, particularly the upper back, legs, hips, shoulders, etc.

You learn cool shit.

Once a week is not enough, but you can do light practice on your own. Not that difficult once you get some basics down.

The Snatch

Squat Snatch Evaluation Checklist

The Starting Position

-Load the barbell correctly with the appropriate weight and safety collars in place to secure the plates.

-Stand with feet spaced hip to shoulders width apart, with toes directly under the bar slightly pointed out, with no stagger, feet flat on floor, knees straight, and barbell 2-inches from the shins.

-Reach down for the barbell using a hook grip. Grip the barbell as tightly as possible when using heavier weights. Once you have the proper grip, bend the knees so the bar is close to the shins.

-Use a wide hand-spacing keeping the arms straight and your knees inside arms.

-Keep your back flat, head up, chest out, shoulder blades pulled together, trapezius muscles relaxed, and arms straight with forearms pronated. Keep your hips higher than the knees but lower than your shoulders, and with the barbell now is touching the shins. Keep your hips parallel and your shoulders directly over or slightly in front of bar.

-Keep your torso rigid and push your abdominal muscles outward, shoulder blades pulled together lifting the chest, creating a steeply angled back. The back maintains the same angle with the floor from beginning to the end of the lift.

-Keep your head facing straight forward—focal point straight ahead.

The First Pull

-Tighten the torso muscles, and pull the bar off of the floor with a smooth, slow, easy pull.

-Keep the hips higher than the knees but lower than the shoulders, maintaining a flat back with the shoulders still over the barbell.

-Keep your head in a neutral position with your eyes focusing straight ahead (do not look at the ceiling) and maintain a flat back.

-Keep your feet flat on the floor, balancing at mid-foot.

-The first movement is a smooth, slow, easy pull off the floor.

-Pull the bar upward with your arms straight.

-Move your hips forward and up as the shoulders continue upward. Your hips and shoulders should rise at the same rate.

The Second Pull

-Starting point for the second pull is when you have raised the bar to your kneecaps or slightly higher. At this point, pull the bar upward quickly, keeping your arms straight and the barbell close to your body.

-When the barbell reaches mid-thigh level, explode upward using as much force as possible. Extend up on your toes, shrug your shoulders upward and pull the barbell above your belly button—keeping the barbell as close to the body as possible.

-At this point, your toes should be fully extended and your shoulders fully shrugged. Keep your arms straight and the barbell close to your body.

Shrug your shoulders towards the ears, keeping your arms straight.

-Keep your head facing forward, with your focal point straight ahead.

-Pull the bar upward explosively with your legs completely extend as though you were jumping.

The Descent and Catch

-Begin your descent to the squat as the bar passes your navel and you are fully extended.

-Move your Shoulders backward slightly.

-Curl your hands forcefully into your body.

-Pull your body under the bar.

-Keeping elbows high moving up over the wrists, which keeps elbows over the bar.

-Move your elbows down under the bar as the bar passes the head and turnover your wrists. Catch the bar with you in a squat position.

-The bar, shoulders, hips, and ankles are in a vertical line, with your arms locked.

-Your feet should remain flat on the floor.

Recovery to Standing Position

-Contract the gluteus and thighs and straighten your legs.

-Keep the bar, shoulders, and ankles in a straight line.

-Stand fully erect with arms locked in a straight line with your torso.

-Bring your feet closer together and parallel.

Lowering the Bar to the Floor

-Maintaining control, lower bar to your thighs.

-Bend at the knees and hips, squat down, and bring the bar to the floor.

-Keep your back straight.

From the ISSA SSC Textbook.

Plus, imo they are more fun. Doing a tough set of 5x5 squats is not what I would call fun, but a heavy snatch is done with in less than 2 seconds. Plus women weightlifters have great bods.

The Split Snatch

The split and squat snatches are similar except that you catch the bar in a lunge position in the split snatch. As with the squat snatch, the object of the lift is to pull the bar over your head in one movement and catch it overhead from a squat with the arms straight. This is a good lift for athletes who require vigorous weight transfers such as baseball or softball players, discus or javelin throwers, or shot-putters.

Brief Description

Place the bar on the floor in front of your shins, with your feet approximately shoulder-width apart. Grasp the bar with the palms facing you, hands placed as wide apart as possible and squat, keeping your arms and back straight and your head up. Pull the weight up past your knees to your chest while throwing your hips upward and shoulders shrugged. After pulling the weight as high as you can, drop into a lunge position with your bent left leg in front and straightened right leg in the rear and catch the overhead with your arms straight. Stand up straight with the bar overhead. Return the bar to the starting position.

Split Snatch Evaluation Checklist

The Starting Position

-Load the barbell correctly with the appropriate weight and safety collars in place to secure the plates.

-Stand with feet spaced hip to shoulders width apart, with toes directly under the bar slightly pointed out, with no stagger, feet flat on floor, knees straight, and barbell 2-inches from the shins.

-Reach down for the barbell using a hook grip. Grip the barbell as tightly as possible when using heavier weights. Once you have the proper grip, bend the knees so the bar is close to the shins.

-Use a wide hand-spacing keeping the arms straight and your knees inside arms.

-Keep your back flat, head up, chest out, shoulder blades pulled together, trapezius muscles relaxed, and arms straight with forearms pronated. Keep your hips higher than the knees but lower than your shoulders, and with the barbell now is touching the shins. Keep your hips parallel and your shoulders directly over or slightly in front of bar.

-Keep your torso rigid and push your abdominal muscles outward, shoulder blades pulled together lifting the chest, creating a steeply angled back. The back maintains the same angle with the floor from beginning to the end of the lift.

-Keep your head facing straight forward—focal point straight ahead.

The First Pull

-Tighten the torso muscles, and pull the bar off of the floor with a smooth, slow, easy pull.

-Keep the hips higher than the knees but lower than the shoulders, maintaining a flat back with the shoulders still over the barbell.

-Keep your head in a neutral position with your eyes focusing straight ahead (do not look at the ceiling) and maintain a flat back.

-Keep your feet flat on the floor, balancing at mid-foot.

-The first movement is a smooth, slow, easy pull off the floor

-Pull the bar upward with your arms straight.

-Move your hips forward and up as the shoulders continue upward. Your hips and shoulders should rise at the same rate.

The Second Pull

-The starting point for the second pull is when you have raised the bar to your kneecaps or slightly higher. At this point, pull the bar upward quickly, keeping your arms straight and the barbell close to your body.

-Shrug your shoulders towards the ears, keeping your arms straight.

-Keep your head facing forward, with your focal point straight ahead.

-Pull the bar upward explosively with your legs completely extend as though you were jumping.

The Descent and Catch

-Begin your descent to the squat as the bar passes your navel and you are fully extended.

-Move your Shoulders backward slightly.

-Curl your hands forcefully into your body.

-Pull your body under the bar.

-Keeping elbows high moving up over the wrists, which keeps elbows over the bar.

-As the bar passes the navel and you are at full extension begin your descent and split the legs in a lunge action.

-Move your elbows down under the bar as the bar passes the head and turnover your wrists.

-The bar, shoulders, hips, and ankles are in a vertical line, with your arms locked.

-Your feet should remain flat on the floor.

Recovery to Standing Position

-Contract the gluteus and thighs and straighten your legs.

-Keep the bar, shoulders, and ankles in a straight line.

-Stand fully erect with arms locked in a straight line with your torso.

-Bring your feet closer together and parallel.

Lowering the Bar to the Floor

-Maintaining control, lower bar to your thighs.

-Bend at the knees and hips, squat down, and bring the bar to the floor.

-Keep your back straight.

From the ISSA SSC Texbook.

Well, you get strong and explosive. You gain mass in your back, particularly the upper back, legs, hips, shoulders, etc.

You learn cool shit.

Once a week is not enough, but you can do light practice on your own. Not that difficult once you get some basics down.

but would I get more strong in my back, legs, hips and shoulders than if I were just to do conventional lifts? Because that is my aim, and weightlifters are fcking impressive specimens at the high level, but I also recognize that they are not me, and I might not see the same kind of gains.

I have a couple of videos on my phone (crappy quality) of my attempts at clean and snatch. Don't have a way to attach my phone to my laptop. Is there another way to upload them for critique?

but would I get more strong in my back, legs, hips and shoulders than if I were just to do conventional lifts? Because that is my aim, and weightlifters are fcking impressive specimens at the high level, but I also recognize that they are not me, and I might not see the same kind of gains.

You are basically focusing on squatting, pulling and putting weights over your head.

Yes.

Sure, it takes a little time, but for how long do you have the option of high level coaching? Take advantage of it while you can.

You could try emailing them to yourself, then uploading to youtube.

Plus, imo they are more fun. Doing a tough set of 5x5 squats is not what I would call fun, but a heavy snatch is done with in less than 2 seconds. Plus women weightlifters have great bods.

This. Their just fun (and frustrating). Squats are just hard.

You could try emailing them to yourself, then uploading to youtube.

Dunno if I can do that with my crappy phone, will bluetooth them to my brother's iphone when he's home and he can email them to me.

Cheers

I have been doing Oly lifts for a quite a few years now and I still look forward to them with a fair bit of enthusiasm. It's challenging and rewarding in ways other lifts aren't (co-ordination if pretty big) and even if I am not doing heavy lifts due to injuries Olylifts help me stay strong/powerful/explosive for my main sports, Muay Thai and grappling.

And ya, the girls have killer bodies. That doesn't hurt either.

If you have access to good coaches, DO EET!

^^^

Holy jesustittyfuck is that awesome!

Stronger and prettier than us, well not prettier than me:

"Oh, that's just awful!"

No shite. That's fucking brutal.

The MDP vid though, that's some good stuff.

"Oh, that's just awful!"

No shite. That's fucking brutal.

The MDP vid though, that's some good stuff.

Yeah it was pretty shocking seeing it live. Reinforces the point that you have to be aggressive in the 3rd pull, and that pressouts are not just a fault they can be dangerous. None of use can snatch that much in relation to BW anyways, so it's unlikely to ever happen.

Basic Olympic Weightlifting Program from Glenn Pendlay

"Beginners should do LOTS of the competitive lifts with moderate weights. To us, moderate means as heavy as can be done with consistently good technique and a low percentage of misses, whether it is 75% or 95% of max. Most workouts are started with snatch and clean and jerk, and in most workouts beginners do at least 20 snatches and 10 clean and jerks. We aren't afraid to try new maxes whenever they seem possible, but try to do it within a framework of lots of lifts, few ugly lifts, and fewer misses.

We believe in doing all 3 squat variations normally done by weightlifters (front squat, back squat, and overhead squat), most weeks doing at least one workout of each style. We focus on the back squat for strength building, and concentrate on good position in front squatting and overhead squatting. We also do 'unusual' strength exercises, exercises designed not only to strengthen, but to condition and toughen. Exercises like dumbbell and barbell clean and press (each rep includes a clean and a press), walking lunges, kettlebell work, and strongman type training. We believe the training of beginners is a three-fold process, learning efficient technique on the competitive lifts, increasing strength, and conditioning the body to handle the increased training that will be required as a more advanced lifter.

Our training programs for beginners are simple. A sample weekly workout for a first year, 12-13 year old lifter could look like this:

Monday

* 20 snatches
* 10 clean and jerks
* 3 sets of 3 front squats
* 2 sets of 10 dumbbell clean & press

Wednesday

* Snatch to roughly 95%
* Clean and jerk to roughly 95%
* 5 sets of 5 squats
* Walking lunges, 2 sets of 40 yards each

Friday

* 20 hang snatches
* 20 hang clean and jerk (could alternate jerk and power jerk)
* 3 sets of 5 overhead squat
* 3 sets of 10 bent press with kettlebell

We try to end each workout with some low-back and abdominal work, and some jumping exercises. For this we use a glute-ham bench, a reverse hypermachine, lots of bands and medicine balls, and Plyo Boxes.

We don't believe in a lot of 'formal' periodization for beginners. The strength, technique, conditioning, and abilities of beginners are changing at a rate that makes planning difficult. We have found the best way to periodize a beginner is to simply shift focus over time from one part of training to the next (This holds true for intermediate and advanced lifters).

Immediately after one competition and looking forward to another in say, 3 months, one of our lifters may spend the first month focusing on conditioning exercises. The snatches and clean and jerks and squats will still be done, but the majority of the energy of the workout might go to the walking lunges, the kettlebell exercises, the clean and presses, and the various glute-ham raises, reverse hyperextensions, and ab work that ends the workout.

The next 4-6 weeks may be spent with the emphasis on squatting. Like the previous month, the workouts still start with snatches and clean and jerks, and heavy weights are lifted in these exercises when possible, but the emphasis of the workouts is pushing the different squat variations to new maxes. Workouts end with lowered volumes and intensities of general strength work like clean and press, and lowered volumes of lower back and ab work.

The last 2-4 weeks before a meet, the emphasis shifts to the competitive lifts. Squatting and other strength work is decreased, so that the lifter comes into each workout fresh and ready to do their absolute best on the competitive lifts.

It is important to note that the workouts throughout this time would look pretty much the same on paper. The sample workout shown above could show a week 3 months prior to competition, or a week's workouts only 2 weeks out. We don't stop doing any strength exercises before a competition, and we don't stop doing the competitive lifts in the 'off season'. we just shift where we really 'push' and focus our energy.

So there it is. A simple program that pushes the kids continuously, is simple to understand and follow, and not only builds the total, but prepares the body for more frequent, more intense later training."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back