Shouldn't remdesivir and potential vaccines be made off patent to deal with this global crisis?

SleepyBoy

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
We are in unprecedented times, where everyone is being asked to sacrifice so much. People are being asked to possibly sacrifice their jobs, their houses, their freedoms, and their futures in efforts to fight this virus. In fact many of the people are being called selfish if they're not willing to sacrifice everything.

"Muh economy"

With the Spirit of sacrificing and doing whatever is necessary, shouldn't we be allowing countries around the world to manufacture and distribute these life savings drugs and vaccines out of patent?

Surely pharmaceuticals are willing to sacrifice just like the rest of the world in order to combat this world pandemic.

People are dying and i am sure we all don't want more people to die because of big pharmas "muh profits"

Absolutely, similar with the polio vaccine.

Unfortunately, with the mindset of rapacious capitalism running wild, you'll have certain individuals who will capitalize (no pun intended) on this and make a fucking killing.

Communists got very few things right, but one thing they did is placing motherfucking , greedy pieces of shit like this on meat hooks.

Absolutely, similar with the polio vaccine.

Unfortunately, with the mindset of rapacious capitalism running wild, you'll have certain individuals who will capitalize (no pun intended) on this and make a fucking killing.

Communists got very few things right, but one thing they did is placing motherfucking , greedy pieces of shit like this on meat hooks.
I agree 100%
Two things to consider about big phrama

1. Much of their profits are completely enabled by the use of publicly funded facilities.

2. they must have more influence over the media than any other industry. Just to look at the commercials alone, and see it's almost all pharmaceuticals.

I agree 100%
Two things to consider about big phrama

1. Much of their profits are completely enabled by the use of publicly funded facilities.

2. they must have more influence over the media than any other industry. Just to look at the commercials alone, and see it's almost all pharmaceuticals.
Regarding your second point: when we moves back to the US after spending years abroad the first two things that stuck out to me were:

- obesity is an epidemic.
- we are saturated with prescription drug advertisements more than any other country I have lived in or visited.

Regarding your second point: when we moves back to the US after spending years abroad the first two things that stuck out to me were:

- we are saturated with prescription drug advertisements more than any other country I have lived in or visited.
Yeah it never made sense to me that prescription drugs are advertised.....shouldn't this be something that a person would only get after being prescribed it by a doctor? So why advertise it to the public when it's something that should be received out of necessity and not a want.

Yeah it never made sense to me that prescription drugs are advertised.....shouldn't this be something that a person would only get after being prescribed it by a doctor? So why advertise it to the public when it's something that should be received out of necessity and not a want.
It's partly to persuade people to ask their doctors about it but also for the doctors themselves. Pharmaceutical companies spend billions each year bribing doctors through pharma reps. It's no coincidence that they tend to hire young attractive women for those jobs.

We are in unprecedented times, where everyone is being asked to sacrifice so much. People are being asked to possibly sacrifice their jobs, their houses, their freedoms, and their futures in efforts to fight this virus. In fact many of the people are being called selfish if they're not willing to sacrifice everything.

"Muh economy"

With the Spirit of sacrificing and doing whatever is necessary, shouldn't we be allowing countries around the world to manufacture and distribute these life savings drugs and vaccines out of patent?

Surely pharmaceuticals are willing to sacrifice just like the rest of the world in order to combat this world pandemic.

People are dying and i am sure we all don't want more people to die because of big pharmas "muh profits"
so you want big pharma to research and develop the drug out of the goodness of their hearts?
thats cute.

This is a tricky one. On the one hand, there are plenty of organizations trying to create vaccines which are not driven by profit and I'm sure that if one of them discovers the vaccine, they'll be passing it out quite widely. Hopefully one of these ones does it so we don't have to deal with a for-profit vaccine situation. On the other hand, there are plenty of for profit organizations trying to make it so they can capitalize on it. If the goal is to get a vaccine ASAP, and the for-profit model produces it, it seems a bit counterproductive to then take away the profit motive if that's the model that actually produced the vaccine. I mean, without that profit motive, the group that produces the vaccine for cash which should be "hung from meat hooks" would have never even tried to make it - therefore, no vaccine.

So what's the answer? Shoot the goose that lays the golden egg because you don't like that it shits all over the floor? Sure there's no shit on your floor if you do so, but there's also no golden egg... If you say "Ok, we'll let you work on a vaccine, but we won't let you make any money off it" they'll happily make newer better bigger boner pills all day long and say "Good luck to you on the non-profit side!"

Last edited:

It's crazy how the USA has, for about the last 40 years, had a cultural disdain for intelligence, and how our advertisers have seized upon this.

The American dream morphed into this stubborn idiocy some time ago, and the marketing has changed the situation from your doctor prescribing you a treatment he has to tell you about into "Tell your doctor about X!" It's like a videogame you're asking your parents to buy.

Agree with this, when I visited the US first, the thing that blew me away the most was the complete saturation of pharmaceutical ads aimed at ordinary people on TV. That is just not allowed in other countries. Corporations have so much power and leeway it's scary

I was somewhat prepared for Americas retardation regarding firearms, because it's so well known, but still shocking to come face-to-face with.

Last edited:
This is a tricky one. On the one hand, there are plenty of organizations trying to create vaccines which are not driven by profit and I'm sure that if one of them discovers the vaccine, they'll be passing it out quite widely. Hopefully one of these ones does it so we don't have to deal with a for-profit vaccine situation. On the other hand, there are plenty of for profit organizations trying to make it so they can capitalize on it. If the goal is to get a vaccine ASAP, and the for-profit model produces it, it seems a bit counterproductive to then take away the profit motive if that's the model that actually produced the vaccine. I mean, without that profit motive, the group that produces the vaccine for cash which should be "hung from meat hooks" would have never even tried to make it - therefore, no vaccine.

So what's the answer? Shoot the goose that lays the golden egg because you don't like that it shits all over the floor? Sure there's no shit on your floor if you do so, but there's also no golden egg... If you say "Ok, we'll let you work on a vaccine, but we won't let you make any money off it" they'll happily make newer better bigger boner pills all day long and say "Good luck to you on the non-profit side!"
People are dying, "muh profits"

That's what's being told to everyone else that's sacrificing their livelihood to deal with crisis.

No, American companies get treated like piggy banks by entities like the EU. The rest of the world manages to hold us in contempt regardless of how many financial burdens that serve the greater good we shoulder unilaterally, or nearly unilaterally.

My compassion for those who hate on us is dried up. American businesses deserve the profits of their labor.

Pay up.

Last edited:
Seeing Fauci and the MSM tout Remdesivir after spending weeks discrediting hydroxycloroquine because it was "unproven" (cheap) told me all I needed to know. It's all about the moola.

Seeing Fauci and the MSM tout Remdesivir after spending weeks discrediting hydroxycloroquine because it was "unproven" (cheap) told me all I needed to know. It's all about the moola.
Or about one potentially working, and the other not only not working, but doing damage.

55908c1342593843.jpg

Or about one potentially working, and the other not only not working, but doing damage.
"Hydroxychloroquine is unproven. It could be dangerous."

"Here, take this experimental new drug Remdesivir!"

Back