Shoulder surgery and MMA

BillDance2293

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok so I used to train for a few years mostly in kick boxing and jiu jitsu

I had shoulder surgery which involved the Dr opening My shoulder up and removing bone fragments and placing a couple screws near my rotator cuff and whatnot.

Its been almost 2 years since I had surgery/trained and it took basically a year to recover well enough to lift weights again, and by lift I mean doing front and side laterals with 2.5 lbs to begin with. I'm far better now but I do have an impingement and have lost a slight amount of motion in that arm.

Lately I've been thinking of training again, does anyone have any useful advice or have experienced anything similar? Thanks.. Sorry for the long post.

Listen to your body. Try not to be on the receiving end of any kimuras.

I had my labrum sewn up back in 2008 or 2009 and it's been slow going since (as in I don't train nearly as much as I used to), but the biggest issue for me was really just mental. I was always worried about tearing it again, especially after the surgeon warned me that subsequent surgeries would result in diminishing returns. Now I train more standup than grappling as I feel much more in control of what happens to my body.

Again, just listen to your body. Strengthen the relevant muscles (continue your rehab and maybe add some prehab, etc) and just take the time off when things don't feel right.

Back