shoulder pain

spect8r

White Belt
Reaction score
hey everyone this is my first post. Anyway just wanted some info, does anyone know what you can do if you have shoulder injury that just keeps coming back. when i start lifting on aregular basis my shoulder starts to hurt to the point that i have to stop for at least a few months. when i bench press or do any shoulder lifts?:icon_neut

you should probably see a doctor to find out for sure what the problem is. rotator cuff injuries are usually slow to heal. Can you describe the kind of pain and location with a bit more detail? What move hurts the most?

Rotator cuff tear...? Inflamed bicep tendon...?

See a sports doc and get a couple of scans done. Training through stuff like this is never good. The treatments for shoulder injuries range from ice to operation, so get it seen to..!

IT hurts at the tip of my shoulder it feels and sounds like there is something loose in there it crackles when i lift and sometimes when i rotate my arm around.

I got the cracking thing in my shoulder after I got a small separation in it. Sounds like mine was in the same spot (AC joint), except I could lift normally again after about 3-4 weeks. If it's this painful, then it could possibly be a complete tear. Get it checked out by a doctor.

1) see doctor
2) ask for referal to physical therapist
3) rehab, rehab, rehab
4) ask yourself why your newly rehabbed shoulder is stronger than your "healthy" shoulder

i can't rotate my arm in the opposite direction of arm-wrestling.. is this a rotator cuff injury? i'm just curious.. i'm gonna try not to injure it more during training

spect8r said:
does anyone know what you can do if you have shoulder injury that just keeps coming back. when i start lifting on aregular basis my shoulder starts to hurt to the point that i have to stop for at least a few months. when i bench press or do any shoulder lifts?:icon_neut
You're either using poor form when lifting, or neglecting your shoulders too much in the gym...or both. See a doctor and try and be as specific as possible about where the pain is and what exercises cause the pain. Even if your doctor gives you a cortisone injection, don't think that's going to fix the problem. You should still do some PT and learn how to keep the problem from re-occurring.

sounds like a rotator cuff injury to me, they take forever to heal, probably caused by not warming up properly before working out, poor form, using too heavy weights or not resting your muscke groups properly. probably not much ypu can do to heal it faster, use light weights and rest your shoulders and chest muscles well between workouts

if you're talking to me, i keep ripping something throwing lead uppercuts and left hooks. i would stop throwing them for a while but my trainer is in charge and if im in a fight and something happens i wont be able to stop :icon_twis

Check your form and do light weights until everything is back to normal. Shoot for the 20 rep range.

I don't think it's rotator cuff. I have the same symptoms you described. It seems like it's inflammation of the shoulder tendons, which is what I have. Yeah it's a bitch and a pain to deal with. Ibuprofen and glucosamine chondroitin + MSM helps as a supplement. That cracking sound you hear is the loose joint of the shoulder caused by the inflammed tendons. You can ice for a couple of days then start applying a heat pack to the shoulder to get blood to that area to heal. Then later on you can start rehabbing the shoulder to get its strength back to maybe 90% of its original strength (yeah sucks). BUT, consult your doctor first.

I have recently found this from Doggcrapp on
http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=6997

How to cure shoulder problems (Trust me this will do it 90% of the time)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a large towel or broomstick I want you to hold it with straight arms for the entire time of what i describe in the following movement--a large "rolled up like a rope" beach towel works good but honestly a longer broomstick (without the bristles) works best in my opinion. Start out with it with a really wide grip (with straight arms) in front of you (on your quads) and with straight arms bring it up and overhead and then down and back to the middle of your back--STRAIGHT ARMS ALL THE WAY--this is going to be very difficult and hard the first couple times out and then will be "old hat" with time----and its going to be painful in a stretching pump kind of way---i want 50 reps each time you do this--one repetition is from in front of your face (all with straight arms) to up overhead and back, and then down all the way to the middle of your back and then back up overhead to in front of your face again (again all with straight arms)--the important part of the movement is the area overhead that is really tight--do all of this carefully/slowly---dont just whip it over and back---if your hand is slipping off the broomstick even with the widest grip, or you cant bring your arms over straight and the start bending on you, you have some serious shoulder inflexibility and need to work this hard and get up to speed (or you could just need a longer broomstick too)--again do all of these revolutions controlled and carefully--push into the stretch as you go along toward the 50 revolutions, your chest will be pushing outward and your shoulders rolling back--your shoulders are going to blow up with so much blood its going to be incredibly painfull pumpwise--Do this once a day at nite as many times a week as you can---sometimes I have people do it every single day---but every time you do it try to move your grip inward (thats the key)----its going to be very hard to do but try your best to move your grip inward for the next 2-4 weeks and your range of motion with shoulders will increase dramatically and any impingement and the majority of other problems should be gone in 2 weeks--also try to move your grip in as you are doing the 50 revolutions--start off with a stretching but relatively easy 10 to warm up some, then try to move your grip in even by a centimeter if you can for the next 20 revolutions and then at 30 try to move the grip in another centimeter--really try to push what you can do stretchwise once your warmed up here--trust me this sounds easy but your going to be muttering "fuck you dante" after you get to your 25th revolution--Ive cured too many shoulder problems with this simple movement now its pretty ridiculous, and this and a menthol rub applied liberally daily and before sleep has cured alot of shoulder/bicepital tendonitis in trainees ---Heres a pic attached to this post so you can get an idea (thanks to a trainee of mine who cured his shoulders with this)--but remember the broomstick goes overhead and all the way back to the middle of the back (he just drew the start of the movement when you begin)

Here's a link to a photo of what ExTravaGanzA is describing above.
http://www.crossfit.com/mt-archive2/000629.html

I'm trying this shit tonight. Thanks for the post ExTravaGanzA. I read every post on the link you sent. There are tons of firsthand success stories from doing this stretch. After enduring nagging pains from subacromial decompression surgery, I'll try anything to help my shoulders.

Back