Shoulder pain and low-bar squatting

Arpie

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Started SS a week ago, been trying to get around the pain but its getting in the way of heavier weights. Hurts around the joint (only the left shoulder) but doesn't come up with the bench/press, hard to pinpoint the exact place. No major injuries, but I'm looking for a prehab or warm up routine to help with shoulder mobility.

Thanks

EDIT: I've added shoulder dislocations (with a broomstick), windmills and shoulder rolls to my daily recovery routine.

Low bar caused me annoying delt cramp for quite a while, but it's long gone now, and I attribute that to daily shoulder dislocations (at least 20 twice a day). Learning to relax your lower traps and allow your scapulae to move closer together helps a lot.

While you work on flexibility you may need to squat high bar, or with a wider grip. Some people have to squat with their hands at the rings even farther out...if you take it this wide, be very careful when you're getting used to it...you don't want to end up dumping the weight.

Are you new to low bar squatting generally? You say you started SS a week ago, but were you squatting before that?

Weird, had the same problem today too. Just started back squatting again for the first time since April and found my shoulders very uncomfortable and achey at a low bar position. I just chalked it up to having not done it in awhile and needing to quit being a poon.

I had that pain a while ago. I started doing thumbless grip on the squats and shoulder dislocations and never had any pain since.

I'm new to serious strength training and to squatting in general, I was runner/cyclist before. High-bar feels pretty unstable, if i use a wider grip its hard to keep my upper back tight.

I guess instead of upping the weight, I could up the reps (just for the squat) from 5x5 until I get my shoulder right? Then go back to the normal SS routine.

Only thing I need to do are dislocates? I'm doing the stronglifts hip mobility drill everyday (good stuff btw).

Like CRZA said, if you aren't already, try a thumbless grip. It helps me.

squat-bar-position.jpg

Thats the stance I'm trying to get to, if I do that now I'm in pain. I didn't think I was this inflexible, kinda scary.

If it is just flexibility, then you will get used to it. I had all sorts of aches and pains when I started squatting. I'm dealing with elbow soreness right now since I've recently started up again. Hopefully you can tell the difference between a flexibility issue and an injury.

One thought that comes to my mind is try to make sure your back is supporting the weight and not your arms. You may have to stand less erect (while keeping chest up). Use your arms to pin the bar in place securely against your back but try not to support the weight with them. It may just be a slight shift in your form or it may be just pushing through it until you have the flexibility.

While you work on flexibility you may need to squat high bar, or with a wider grip. Some people have to squat with their hands at the rings even farther out...if you take it this wide, be very careful when you're getting used to it...you don't want to end up dumping the weight.

My shoulders aren't very flexible and this is how I squat. A very wide grip, hands several inches outside the rings. Works well for me.

Back