1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Shoulder Joint Concern, What Can I Potentially Do As Pre-hab?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Justice 4 All, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Justice 4 All

Justice 4 All Brown Belt

I started training MMA about a month ago after a long break from combat sports, and I'm a bit worried about my shoulders. They've been gradually aching more and more after training and lifting, and I'm wondering whether this is just fatigue resulting from the increased volume of exercising them (and something they will eventually get used to) or if it's something more serious that requires pre-hab work.

Things that may be responsible.
    For lifting I'm doing the Onus Wunsler Program (switched about 3 weeks ago, so I'm new to Power Cleans), and at training we do a lot of pressing up (wide, narrow, traditional and jumping) and "hot rounds" of mindlessly punching a bag for 2-3 minutes as fast/hard as we can non stop. Also, we do submission grappling, with kimuras worked into each session.

To try and describe the soreness.
    I have a hard time moving (especially lifting) my arms without getting pain in both my traps and deltoids as well as what feels like a deeper, close to joint, muscle tension (rotator cuff?). I also have a very minute pain in the form of what we call in Finnish "viilt

2. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

3. Justice 4 All

Justice 4 All Brown Belt

Read through it, thanks.

I don't think I have any major form issues, and I am content with my (ever improving) posture. These issues really just arose after I started with MMA, and the comments made about tendinitis make me worry that my tendons aren't used to working so hard. Maybe I just need to take it a bit easier at practice and ease myself into it.

4. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

Point out specifically where you feel the pain on a picture.

5. Justice 4 All

Justice 4 All Brown Belt

Not sure how to do that.

Maybe this pic might help.

[​IMG]

Rotator Cuff Muscles/Tendon
    Acromion

Delts/Traps

And the occasional "pinching", or "cutting" thing in the right shoulder joint.

6. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Harry Selkow (on eliteFTS) mentions this routine for shoulder prehab: T NATION | 8 Weeks to Monster Shoulders

He has people do it before starting his pull-up program. The other thing that may help, is to increase pulling volume...as high as 2:1 compared to your pressing. For example, lets say you do 3x5 of bench at 80kg (3x5x80=1200kg), and 3x5 of pressing at 40kg (3x5x40=600kg), and alternating the two, 3 times a week, so an average 2700kg of pressing a week...so to get a 2:1 ratio, 5400kg of pulling a week. That said, I wouldn't worry about it being exact, but it does give you an idea of how much pulling you could be doing.

7. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

Delts/traps is a very big area.

When you say acromion, you can feel the acromian space on top of the shoulder - if you feel into that, does it hurt or does it hurt elsewhere?

And "shoulder joint" is very broad too. When does it actually hurt? All the time? After exercise? During exercise? Which exercises?

8. FiveFeezy

FiveFeezy Orange Belt

For shoulder stability, I like to do a set of 20 Rear DB Flies right after doing my rows.

9. Justice 4 All

Justice 4 All Brown Belt

Thanks for the help, but I really don't know much about the anatomy of the shoulder so I can't really describe the exact locations of discomfort.

The only place that hurts to the touch is the front part of the deltoid, but that's because I've been smacking it with the power clean. The pain appears more as a mobility issue.

I think I just need to suck it up and make whatever use I can of what people have generously supplied me with, and whatever I can find online.

If the pain persists for a longer period I'll be obligated to make an appointment with a doctor.

10. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

It's cool man. The more detailed you can be, the better someone could help pinpoint the problem.

It could also be that you're just getting accustomed to fight training again *shrug*

11. ssdd

ssdd Purple Belt

When you throw hooks on a heavy bag your shoulders will hurt if your elbows aren't raised and the hook isn't "open". In other words if your elbows are low and it looks like you're throwing a pseudo upper cut it will mess up your shoulder

12. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

13. EndingInception

EndingInception Orange Belt

sounds like a rotator cuff injury
    causes are usually bad bench press technque. are u tuckin ur shoulders and keepin ur shoulders blades back together while u bench?

14. Justice 4 All

Justice 4 All Brown Belt

Yeah I got a bit of this a few weeks back when I was randomly training on a heavy bag I found. Need to work on that I guess. Never had problems before though...

As far as I know, I'm not flaring and I'm keeping my shoulder blades tucked. There's a couple of PLers roaming around my gym who I sometimes ask to spot me, and they tell me my form is good. Although I have recently started a tendency to over compensate with my right arm, which makes the bar do strange things :p. Most likely I'm gonna have to deload soon anyway.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010