Shoulder injury, how serious?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by ozyabbas, Apr 1, 2008.

1. ozyabbas

ozyabbas Purple Belt

During sparring today someone had a relatively loose triangle on me. I was postured so I didn't think much of it. I stood up and he came up with me and I sat back down again with my name in between myself and my sparring partner. I was keeping my arm in braced to stop him pulling it out for an armbar. He was adjusting then suddenly I heard a pop.

I lost feeling and strength in that arm and shoulder. I tapped and rubbed my shoulder and it still hurt abit but I had mainly numbness and a kind of weakness. Its hard to describe. I could still use it but it felt somehow detached and weak.

I talked to a high school wrestler friend of mine who said he had the same problem at one point and that it just went away by itself and he could still spar at near full capacity which alleviated my concerns a little. He said the damage had been done to the nerve and not the tendons. He referred to it as a stinger or burner.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, if so what did you do about it.

2. ShanghaiBJJ

ShanghaiBJJ Brown Belt

Go

To

A

Doctor

3. ShanghaiBJJ

ShanghaiBJJ Brown Belt

Don't

Listen

To

Your

Friend

4. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

Bah, rub some dirt on it and walk it off.

5. jwalk2515

jwalk2515 White Belt

drink water

6. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

Duct tape. If the injury is really bad then use gorilla tape.

7. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

Dp.

8. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

Dp.

9. Gsoares2***

Gsoares2*** Banned Banned

Does it still hurt today?

ice and stay off it until it feels better.

If you have the money go see a doctor, if the shoulder is still injured go see a doctor.

You might have subluxed your shoulder which is where the tendons stretch out of the shoulder like a dislocation and then pop the shoulder back in like a rubber band. Leaving the tendons stretched and teathered but not torn apart.

Usually leaves the shoulder hurting and without much mobility. Ive done it a number of times and usually it takes two weeks to heal, and then im good to slowly come back in to training. Take time when you get injured.. it will make it easier to come and start training again.. vs letting something become chronic.. then you have to come back and find a way to train around that injury.

10. MEK

MEK White Belt

I gotta agree 200% with ShanghaiBJJ, don't take a chance man.

11. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

seriously i have been off for a month with a seperated shoulder the smart thing to do is seek professional help you might have a tear or a something , just for you to know a stinger can lead to some other bad injuries .

if you an ac joint sprain or minor tear that can lead to something very nasty after a while , the best thing to do is get it checked out .

2 weeks of no training is better then no training for the rest of your life , you will just make it worse if you go back at this stage.

12. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

kinda like action fiqures we played with when you where a kid when there arm pops off and you put if back on but it really isnt stiff anymore just kinda always stays down and never can pose anymore .

13. ozyabbas

ozyabbas Purple Belt

To be honest it doesn't really hurt at all now. Most of the problems have gone. I am gonna have to see what it feels like tomorrow morning. Its usually the next day where I actually feel any pain.

I will probably just do technique and no sparring for the next 2 weeks. Also just leave of any techniques that involve the kimura or omoplata on the left side. I just hope I can resist the urge to spar, its really difficult to resist when you are watching other people doing it.

14. Gsoares2***

Gsoares2*** Banned Banned

Just dont do it - if you feel like the shoulder is strong then fine..

But dont risk future ability simply so you can spar for a few more days now.. think about the big picture.

Learning the hard way is often the only way to learn - but its the crappiest way to learn in this situation.

15. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

if its minor just go by these steps

for the first 48 hours use ice its a fresh injury and there will be swellinga nd inflamation use ice for 15 to 20 mins at a time at least 5 times a day , and it will better as fat as you know it .

to help out from further injuries invest in resistance bands i know it wont feel like your workinga nthing but by using these and doing excersises with them you strengthen tendons and muscles fibers , those are the muscles you want strength in , its why amatuer wrestlers are so strong they have been doing excersies all there lives that involve muscle fibers and tendon strengthening excersises . trust me it works .

i fight guys who have been doing judo since they where like 5 and i look stronger then them but from just doing that stuff for years there tendon strength is crazy .