Shoulder injury help

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by pepsihulk, Sep 24, 2010.

1. pepsihulk

pepsihulk White Belt

So i rugby 7s season for my school is over, however i managed to injure my shoulder which doesnt allow me to bench, do sohp and most important do squats without my shoulder hurting. I have been on rippetoes starting strengh program for about 1 and half and made very steady gains. I would like some advice on how i can substitute any of the exercises or any other helpful information. Thanks

2. ----ACE----***

----ACE----*** Blue Belt

do you mean it hurts to grab the bar to do back squats? i have the same kinda shoulder pain so i just switched over to front squats. cant do as much but it will at least still hit all the important muscles

3. pepsihulk

pepsihulk White Belt

like everytime when i stretch my shoulder to grab the bar, i feel a sharp pain. whats the difference in gains for front squats as opposed to back squats?

4. MASShole

MASShole Get it?

If during a back squat the bar goes on the back of your body, I wonder where it would go on the front squat?

5. deckingdutchman

deckingdutchman Orange Belt

Try front or zercher squats instead of back squats. Youtube them if you don't know what they are. You'll still make solid gains.

For bench, try limiting your range of motion. Only go about half way down on a bench press, see if that will let you press until your shoulder is healed.

I have nothing on OHP, and if the above mentioned doesn't work wait for someone smarter than me to reply.

6. pepsihulk

pepsihulk White Belt

sorry for the late reply. I just want to know if front squats will slow my times down, cause from what i read is that front squats doesnt work the glutes and posterior chain as much and wont be beneficial for speed.

7. Timetravel_0

Timetravel_0 Brown Belt

I was feeling intense pressure when I would bench and also painful popping and clicking at all other times of the day. Went to the doctor, got an MRI and found out it's a slap tear of the biceps tendon. They want to do surgery but I went to physical therapy and stopped lifting heavy on the bench. It feels better but I'll probably need surgery anyway because it's not something that will heal on its own.

8. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

You are describing pains rather than a specific injury. Does that mean you haven't been to a doctor for an actual diagnosis?

9. ----ACE----***

----ACE----*** Blue Belt

[​IMG]

Using one of these will help if you have access to one. It makes it so your gripping the bar at around mid/lower chest region instead of having to grab the bar at neck level. Takes a lot of stress off of the shoulders

If the pic doesnt work, just google image search a cambered barbell

[​IMG]