Should Wonderboy be ranked above Lawler?

Either this is idiocy, butt hurt feelings over the last fight or a troll. Regardless of what it is it's a waste of time.

I agree with you OP, striking is king again. It started off with BJJ as the dominant discipline. Then wrestling became dominant. Now we are seeing a trend back towards strikers. Most champions are elite strikers that can't be taken down. Just look at all the people with belts, they are almost all strikers - except for maybe Cormier

As far as the ranking system goes, it's obviously not perfect. I think almost every fighter/fan/journalist/commentator whatever will agree that the judging system is flawed. Lawler is #1 because the champ is always number one, that's just how rankings work. But in the real world wonderboy would be a betting favorite if they were to fight.

Lawler is tough as nails though and will give him a fight, remember Rory had some crazy kicks in their fight and Lawler's toughness is what made him beat Rory. So I agree in reality I think wonderboy proved himself as the guy to beat, but he hasn't earned the #1 spot it yet.

MMA math doesn't dictate rankings at the absolute top. We all may know that Thompson will most likely do better than most everyone Lawler's faced, and may even finish him, but that doesn't change the fact that Lawler's the champion, and hard as hell to KO, so we've seen so far.

This is a great win for Thompson but it really is going to fuck up the WW rankings now.

That was quite a leap for him going from a win over Ellenberger to a fight with Hendricks after a loss against Brown.

I don't know what compelled the match makers to make this fight.

Lawler lost to Condit and Hendricks twice. If you watch those fights, Lawler was not the best guy on those nights.

Wonderboy, in my eyes, is the uncrowned champ.

OP's original post is the dumbest MMA related post I have read in a minute, and that's saying something.

I don't even know where to begin in breaking down that "logic"

Condit should, GSP would, Hendricks in last nights shape beats Robbie in a five rounder.

I'm talking about legit MMA rankings that include all fighters of any org, not illegitimate UFC ranking where some fighters disappear from the rankings because Dana says so.

Lawler lost his last fight.

Wonderboy finished Hendricks in the 1st round, probably the biggest accomplishment in the WW division since GSP retired.

How can you rank Lawler above Wonderboy, is it only because Lawler was given a belt by Dana?

Other than the belt, what arguments do you have that Lawler is #1 ?

Stephen 'Wonderboy' Thompson #1 WW in the world, Condit #2, Lawler #3.

You need to let the hate go.
Lawler won his last fight, and your denial does not help you.

He won. He is the champion.

Let it go!

I'm talking about legit MMA rankings that include all fighters of any org, not illegitimate UFC ranking where some fighters disappear from the rankings because Dana says so.

Lawler lost his last fight.

Wonderboy finished Hendricks in the 1st round, probably the biggest accomplishment in the WW division since GSP retired.

How can you rank Lawler above Wonderboy, is it only because Lawler was given a belt by Dana?

Other than the belt, what arguments do you have that Lawler is #1 ?

Stephen 'Wonderboy' Thompson #1 WW in the world, Condit #2, Lawler #3.
56573057.jpg

The combined might of a Greg Jackson gameplan, a titanium Condit chin and his impression of a fucking machine gun punching cyborg was not enough to dethrone 5th Round Lawler.

FightMatrix has Wonderboi at #2.

US.png
Robbie Lawler (33) 27-10-0

US.png
Stephen Thompson (32) 12-1-0

CA.png
Rory MacDonald (26) 18-3-0

US.png
Tyron Woodley (33) 15-3-0

US.png
Johny Hendricks (32) 17-4-0

BR.png